New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

CV 35mm f2 Ultron Asph. Flare.

wolfloid
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · CV 35mm f2 Ultron Asph. Flare.

Iím considering getting this lens as a supplement to my Rokkor 40mm f2 and my Leica 35mm f1.4 Summilux Aspheric, as a short but sharper alternative to the Rokkor to slide into a waist-belt pouch when on my M246.

There seems to be no doubt about how sharp it is, or about the somewhat Ďstructuredí (matter of taste) boke. What no one talks about is flare. I plan to use this with the most minimal of hoods to keep the lens physically short, maybe even without a hood, perhaps just a step up ring, so flare performance is important to me. Perhaps a descriptive comparison of flare control at f2 and f2.8 with the rather glowy Rokkor?

I know Fred has this lens and likes it. Can those in the know comment please?

May 07, 2024 at 07:07 AM
wolfloid
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · CV 35mm f2 Ultron Asph. Flare.

Fred?

May 07, 2024 at 11:43 AM
bjhurley
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · CV 35mm f2 Ultron Asph. Flare.

I've been using this lens pretty intensively for the past year and a half and have yet to see any flare (veiling flare or ghosts), but I always use a hood (I have the cheap and small Haoge hood) and even with the hood it's short. I have heard reports of occasional flare from the silver-chrome ring on the front but haven't seen it myself. I have seen those flares on my 35/2.5 Color-Skopar but so far never on the Ultron.

May 07, 2024 at 12:08 PM
wolfloid
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · CV 35mm f2 Ultron Asph. Flare.

That is really good to hear. I have the CV version of that hood on my CV 28mm f2 Ultron II - a fine hood - but I prefer it without. If you havenít seen any sort of flare in all that use, then I imagine itíll be fine unhooded.

May 07, 2024 at 12:23 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · CV 35mm f2 Ultron Asph. Flare.

I always thought that the CV 35/2 Ultron had very good flare resistance, but it's still prone to veiling flare in some rare occasions. When I took it outside with the sun overhead, I couldn't provoke any flare. I'll wait until later tonight, closer to sunset, to test it further.

In comparison to the CV 35/1.5 Nokton, which I found to perform better in terms of veiling flare, here is a comparison sample:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1784972/12#16119479

May 07, 2024 at 02:47 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · CV 35mm f2 Ultron Asph. Flare.

The lens flares. I just walked outside and took a photo into the sun at f8. I've encountered flare numerous times, though I would say the resistance is quite good overall. You can make most lenses look bad if you try. This CV 35/2 has strong flare resistance, with veiling at times, but is not as good as some other CV 35mm's. Below is a photo with shadow lifted.

May 07, 2024 at 08:41 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · CV 35mm f2 Ultron Asph. Flare.

If you are concerned about flare with the CV 35/2 Ultron, the hood plays a significant role in minimizing it. Generally, I find it to have very good flare performance compared to many similar Leica lenses, but I'd advise using the hood whenever possible.

Here is a sample with and without the hood:

At f/4 without hood (no UV filter)

At f/4 with hood attached

May 07, 2024 at 08:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · CV 35mm f2 Ultron Asph. Flare.

Sample 2:

Notice the loss of contrast towards the very left of the frame and the ring flare in the first image without the hood.

Without hood

With hood

May 07, 2024 at 09:00 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · CV 35mm f2 Ultron Asph. Flare.

Sample 3:

The hood helped here but still some veiling when the sun is right above the frame.

Without hood

With hood

May 07, 2024 at 09:02 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · CV 35mm f2 Ultron Asph. Flare.

Sample 4:

The image with the CV 35/2 Ultron + hood has lower flare

Without hood

With hood

May 07, 2024 at 09:05 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · CV 35mm f2 Ultron Asph. Flare.

BTW, I use the LH-12 hood with mine:

May 07, 2024 at 09:08 PM
wolfloid
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · CV 35mm f2 Ultron Asph. Flare.

Thanks very much Fred, and others. I already have exactly that hood with my CV 28 f2 Ultron, so I can always carry it with me if really needed. I like to roam around sometimes with the M246 and one small lens, so it fits in a belt pouch and I donít need a bag. I can always carry the hood in a pocket or just shade with my hand if it is really necessary.

I know all lenses flare. The Rocker flares quite strongly now and then and at f2, where contrast is already very low, veiling flare can reduce the contrast further. I am hoping the CV 35/2 will be much better at f2 in all respects, and maintain high contrast when I want it.

In your experience, is the CV 35/2 less flare prone than your recently tested CV 35/1.5?

May 08, 2024 at 09:04 AM
bjhurley
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · CV 35mm f2 Ultron Asph. Flare.

I think the reason I've never seen any flare with mine is that I'm mainly using vintage lenses and have gotten into the habit of avoiding shots that make them flare (I like ghost flares but not a fan of veiling flare in most situations). Sometimes I deliberately provoke flare in those older lenses because I like how it looks, but mostly I try to avoid veiling flare. That habit carries across to my more flare-resistant lenses.

May 08, 2024 at 09:11 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · CV 35mm f2 Ultron Asph. Flare.

The CV 35/1.5 performs slightly better in regards to veiling. I noticed this when comparing them side by side in the CV 35/1.5 Nokton's review.

However, the CV 35/2 Ultron shows very good flare resistance. It's not prone to flare easily, but using the hood noticeably minimizes it.

May 15, 2024 at 02:47 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.