Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

So you think you want to do street photography?

Mitch Alland
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · So you think you want to do street photography?

This morning I was reading the New York Times and thought the celebrity photos in this article were interesting: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/04/style/ny-fashion-kings-trust-gala-pharrell.html

In a web search for the photographer, Jutharat Pinyodoonyachet ("Poupay"), I found this 27-minute video below that is worth watching. Poupay is a young Thai woman who's been in New York for six years. She came for the one-year photography course at ICP and stayed on to work as a free-lance photographer.

May 06, 2024 at 04:50 AM
BPsmith511
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · So you think you want to do street photography?

Most of the walkie-talkie's on PaulieB's channel are fun and interesting, usually quite informative in one way or another as well.

May 06, 2024 at 07:33 AM
Oldwino
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · So you think you want to do street photography?

Just saw this right before seeing this thread. Seemed appropriate.
https://youtu.be/gK4IDcNxdQU?si=d4litq64H6Wf3JkR

May 06, 2024 at 11:16 AM
Mitch Alland
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · So you think you want to do street photography?

Oldwino wrote:
...Seemed appropriate...

It would be more interesting if you stated the way you found it appropriate, considering that street photograph, as an art form, is essentially a "spent force" — at least that's what David Alan Harvey told me in an email exchange some five years ago. For example, he said many street photography books that were published years ago would no longer find a publisher now. In this resect, I felt that Poupay's celebrity photos in the NYT article had something fresh in them, which is what led me to the web search that resulted in finding the video that I posted.

May 06, 2024 at 01:50 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · So you think you want to do street photography?

Walkie Talkie is a fun series, and I loathe "street" as a genre in its current form. It's interesting just to hear the machinations of other tortured artists

Overall, I find very few guests to have interesting or novel takes on the genre as a casually disinterested outsider/non-participant, but man oh man was Billy Dinh an exception. Not the typical Leica shooting, navel gazing, disheveled nerd, and someone who is actually bringing something fresh to photography.

May 06, 2024 at 01:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mitch Alland
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · So you think you want to do street photography?

RoamingScott wrote:
...I find very few guests to have interesting or novel... but man oh man was Billy Dinh an exception...

Obviously, this is a matter of taste but, having looked at the video and at Dinh's website, my view is the opposite. I find that he makes "pretty," atmospheric images. Skillful processing, yes; but not "saying" much, whether one looks at either form or content. For example, Ralph Gibson likes to call himself a "formalist" in this sense. I can't place Dinh in that category.

In contrast, I found Poupay's News York Times celebrity photos original and interesting in their immediacy — and they say a lot more than Dinh. Hence, I'm not surprised that Poupay is a full-time, free-lance photographer while Dinh, after six years of photographing — about the same amount of time as Poupay — still has a day job.

May 07, 2024 at 03:46 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · So you think you want to do street photography?

Mitch Alland wrote:
Obviously, this is a matter of taste but, having looked at the video and at Dinh's website, my view is the opposite. I find that he makes "pretty," atmospheric images. Skillful processing, yes; but not "saying" much, whether one looks at either form or content. For example, Ralph Gibson likes to call himself a "formalist" in this sense. I can't place Dinh in that category.

In contrast, I found Poupay's News York Times celebrity photos original and interesting in their immediacy — and they say a lot more than Dinh. Hence, I'm not surprised that Poupay is a full-time,
...Show more

The NYT link is behind a paywall that I'm not inclined to get around, but judging from the only photo that loads, is there more to her photos in that article than shoving a camera in their face and blasting them with an off camera flash?

When I look at this genre, I think about what draws me to the classics like Leiter or Hass or Gruyaert, and look for similar themes in modern photos...scenes that will transcend time.

Nothing about the flash and blast meta that most modern street shooters engage in holds that timeless appeal IMO.

May 07, 2024 at 04:00 PM
Mitch Alland
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · So you think you want to do street photography?

RoamingScott wrote:
...judging from the only photo that loads, is there more to her photos in that article than shoving a camera in their face and blasting them with an off camera flash?

In my view absolutely, particularly the way her immediacy is not the way you describe it. You can perhaps see it on her website by searching for "Jutharat Pinyodoonyachet".

May 07, 2024 at 04:06 PM
torifile
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · So you think you want to do street photography?

Here’s a gift link to the article in case you’re interested in seeing the photos.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/04/style/ny-fashion-kings-trust-gala-pharrell.html?unlocked_article_code=1.qE0.1qRv.LnjyOe1YI_B2&smid=url-share

RoamingScott wrote:
The NYT link is behind a paywall that I'm not inclined to get around, but judging from the only photo that loads, is there more to her photos in that article than shoving a camera in their face and blasting them with an off camera flash?

When I look at this genre, I think about what draws me to the classics like Leiter or Hass or Gruyaert, and look for similar themes in modern photos...scenes that will transcend time.

Nothing about the flash and blast meta that most modern street shooters engage in holds that timeless appeal IMO.

May 07, 2024 at 05:46 PM
JWRisinger
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · So you think you want to do street photography?

Thanks for providing the link, I used it as well.

...I really, really don't get it.

Wanting to see something fresh, different from what's become entrenched, sure, but this feels like "style" as no style at all. Maybe that's the point, maybe if you're sick of overly posed, overly lit, planned photo shoots, etc., and want something more authentic; but the emperor's invisible new clothes still don't exist, even if he's attending a fancy gala dressed in them. IMO.

torifile wrote:
Here’s a gift link to the article in case you’re interested in seeing the photos.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/04/style/ny-fashion-kings-trust-gala-pharrell.html?unlocked_article_code=1.qE0.1qRv.LnjyOe1YI_B2&smid=url-share

May 07, 2024 at 07:34 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.