New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Lightweight light stands

aCuria
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightweight light stands

What lightweight light stands are good?

I have the Ulanzi MT-49, intended load is an AD100 and umbrella or umbrella softbox

Wondering if there is something more stable but not too big / heavy

May 05, 2024 at 09:45 PM
docusync
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightweight light stands

Nissin ls-55c (adjustable leg), super lightweight, for a small umbrella or a 2-3’ softbox/bd.
Nissin ls-65c. A little heavier but much taller. NP holding large umbrellas.

May 05, 2024 at 10:38 PM
aCuria
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightweight light stands

docusync wrote:
Nissin ls-55c (adjustable leg), super lightweight, for a small umbrella or a 2-3’ softbox/bd.
Nissin ls-65c. A little heavier but much taller. NP holding large umbrellas.

I noticed Godox sells a dupe of this called the LS-255 and LS-255C in china

May 06, 2024 at 06:04 AM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightweight light stands

aCuria wrote:
What lightweight light stands are good?

I have the Ulanzi MT-49, intended load is an AD100 and umbrella or umbrella softbox

Wondering if there is something more stable but not too big / heavy

I've gone through a ton of different light stands, and my favorite is the Avenger light stands. They have large tightening handles that are easy to tighten and durable, and go high enough to get a 45 degree angle on a standing subject: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/113317-REG/Avenger_A630B_A630B_Black_Light_Stand.html

Those small inverted leg ones usually don't go higher than about 6 ft (I've primarly owned the Matthews and Manfrotto versions, which these are knockoffs of), so you'll have challenges with standing portraits unless subjects are short or sitting. Cheap lightweight light stands tend to have smaller tightening knobs made of plastic that strip and the columns bend easily, so I've found it's a false economy to save a few bucks there. Also the reverse leg style is hard to put a sandbag on, and because of their short height can't do double duty as backdrop stands like the taller ones.

May 06, 2024 at 11:25 AM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightweight light stands

aCuria wrote:
I noticed Godox sells a dupe of this called the LS-255 and LS-255C in china

Those look like dupes of Lowell light stands. The originals are pretty robust and I see them all the time on craigslist for cheap. Most of my light stands (including rollers) I get used because new prices are ridiculous unless you're a rental house.

May 06, 2024 at 11:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

aCuria
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightweight light stands

sungphoto wrote:
I've gone through a ton of different light stands, and my favorite is the Avenger light stands. They have large tightening handles that are easy to tighten and durable, and go high enough to get a 45 degree angle on a standing subject: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/113317-REG/Avenger_A630B_A630B_Black_Light_Stand.html

Those small inverted leg ones usually don't go higher than about 6 ft (I've primarly owned the Matthews and Manfrotto versions, which these are knockoffs of), so you'll have challenges with standing portraits unless subjects are short or sitting. Cheap lightweight light stands tend to have smaller tightening knobs made of plastic that strip and the columns
...Show more

Appreciate the recommendation, the Avenger light stands look like a good option for full size stands (maybe after my current full size stands are too worn)

However I need to fit the lightweight ones into luggage, preferably vertically. I think the avenger ones need an oversized bag (which I do have, but am not willing to take on overseas trips haha)

Very roughly, A 28" luggage has internal height of about 24" (60 cm) and a 24” luggage has internal height of 21" (53cm).

The Ulanzi MT-49 folds down to 47cm and is mostly easy to pack but is not that stable in use.

My smaller tripod LS-364C packs down to 54cm but can only go diagonally into 24" luggage with the ballhead removed.

May 06, 2024 at 09:43 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightweight light stands

Check out Markuspix for many videos on this. Personally, I went with the Fosoto ft190b, 0.6kg, 2.2m, 49cm folded and about $30-$40/each. It can support my AD600 with no problem. The weight of most umbrellas would not be an issue, but being a sail under even the slightest wind would. For a radial load, Alu is actually better than CF.

May 06, 2024 at 10:44 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightweight light stands

I’ve never tried the carbon fiber stands, so no comment, but I have a pair of Manfrotto Nanos that have served me very well for ~15 years, and a couple years ago recall someone saying the Phottix Saldo version of the same stand is even better.

May 07, 2024 at 08:48 AM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lightweight light stands

aCuria wrote:
Appreciate the recommendation, the Avenger light stands look like a good option for full size stands (maybe after my current full size stands are too worn)

However I need to fit the lightweight ones into luggage, preferably vertically. I think the avenger ones need an oversized bag (which I do have, but am not willing to take on overseas trips haha)

Very roughly, A 28" luggage has internal height of about 24" (60 cm) and a 24” luggage has internal height of 21" (53cm).

The Ulanzi MT-49 folds down to 47cm and is mostly easy to pack but is not
...Show more

No worries, I’ve done a ton of trips packed to the gills with light stands and tripods, and I recently tried just bring paint pole adapters for lights, with the intention of hiring someone locally to act as a "voice operated light stand". This is a link to one such adapter: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1763274-REG/westcott_4739_westcott_paint_pole_adapter.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD7yMh2OxdYIbDJkahRT9gSfyhOJY&gclid=CjwKCAjwouexBhAuEiwAtW_Zx2yMQ2xxsTKy19kdZjerAHRfZJqojtKaMJCitUk8Uwp-UAMx5iMpYxoCYYEQAvD_BwE

One can purchase paint poles or broom sticks practically anywhere in the world. Depending on where you’re going, a local can be hired pretty inexpensively. When you’re done just leave the paint pole behind, and no sweating carrying a bunch of stands in your bag

Edited on May 08, 2024 at 04:23 PM · View previous versions

May 07, 2024 at 12:10 PM
John Straus
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lightweight light stands

I just worked with a guy who bought this and loves it. https://www.geekoto.com/ls28c
Bigger than the flat leg stands but more stable. Height is ok... Monopod is nice...

I just bought this but haven't got it yet... Taller which I like but again haven't tried it... Should have it in a couple days... https://neewer.com/products/neewer-st250r-carbon-fiber-light-stand-66602653

Both reverse fold for luggage carry...

May 07, 2024 at 10:05 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.