New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Lens adjustment

mr.mbp
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens adjustment

I recently purchased a lens where I believe the focus is off--tried it on my M10, M10M, and M10R and confirmed the rangefinders are all honed in with other lenses. Thankfully, can use the live view on my M10 to take photos but would like to use the actual rangefinder as well.

Has anyone sent a lens for adjustment/calibration recently?

Am hoping to get recommendations for quality service and decent turn around time.

This would be for a 50 mm collapsible Summicron.

May 04, 2024 at 04:47 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens adjustment

mr.mbp wrote:
I recently purchased a lens where I believe the focus is off--tried it on my M10, M10M, and M10R and confirmed the rangefinders are all honed in with other lenses. Thankfully, can use the live view on my M10 to take photos but would like to use the actual rangefinder as well.

Has anyone sent a lens for adjustment/calibration recently?

Am hoping to get recommendations for quality service and decent turn around time.

This would be for a 50 mm collapsible Summicron.

Hi there,

If you are certain that the camera rangefinder is 100% accurate, you need to determine whether the lens is back focusing or front focusing.

Here's how to identify the issue:

A) FRONT-FOCUSING

Focus using the rangefinder (ALIGN PATCH).
In Live View (LV) mode, if the focus doesn't align correctly and you find yourself needing to turn the focus ring counter-clockwise (CCW) to achieve precise focus.
The remedy is to remove shims from the mount. Resolving front-focusing issues can be challenging, especially since most Leica lenses lack shims. It may involve adjusting the helicoid, which requires disassembling the lens.

B) BACK-FOCUSING

Focus using the rangefinder (ALIGN PATCH).
In LV mode, if the focus doesn't align correctly and you find yourself needing to turn the focus ring clockwise (CW) to achieve precise focus.
Add shim(s) to correct the issue. Correcting back-focusing is relatively simpler by adding shims. This can be done by adding metal shims to the screws or the entire mount in small increments until the back-focusing is rectified.

Both front and back focusing issues can be resolved by a skilled technician. If you lack experience in this matter, seeking professional assistance is advisable.

May 05, 2024 at 07:17 PM
mr.mbp
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens adjustment

Hello Fred, thank you for the information. I'm having a back focusing issue potentially.

Do you of any recommended technicians?

May 07, 2024 at 08:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

M_Wales
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens adjustment

mr.mbp wrote:
Hello Fred, thank you for the information. I'm having a back focusing issue potentially.

Do you of any recommended technicians?

I recommend DAG Camera In Oregon, Wisconsin. I have had an M240 focus adjusted and a lens checked out by them and very happy with the service.

https://www.dagcamera.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

Good luck

May 07, 2024 at 09:18 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens adjustment

I also recommend Don @ DAG in Oregon.

Alternatively I've also had great service from Youxin: https://www.yyecamera.com/

May 07, 2024 at 10:49 PM
mr.mbp
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens adjustment

Thank you both for your responses. I really appreciate the help.

May 26, 2024 at 10:04 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.