Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Traveling to Cabo and need to figure out what kit to take...

saxguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Traveling to Cabo and need to figure out what kit to take...

I have a dilemma. I have a friend's wedding to attend in Cabo next weekend and I'm debating what lenses to take with me for the trip.

With a three lens kit it's either 21/35/75 APO, 21/35/50 APO or 21/35 APO and 50 Lux. If I went with two lenses on the SL3 I could just take the 21APO and either 50 Lux or APO and use APS-C mode for ~32mm and 75mm equivalents. These aren't going to be for large printing, so it may be better to value simplicity in what I'm carrying.

I need to be able to do some photos at the wedding as well as travel photography while I'm there. Part of me thinks the 50 Lux is better left at home because as a guest, that's an imposing lens to be using - but the rendering is special. Tough call.

May 03, 2024 at 10:22 AM
Stephen G
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Traveling to Cabo and need to figure out what kit to take...

For weddings where I am a guest I usually lean towards a smaller kit.
Like a Q, or M with 1 lens, etc.

If you are set on the SL3, you should bring the minimum lens kit you can get by with.
As you point out its got the crop mode, high resolution and you wouldn't be printing any of it large.

So why not something like 21 & 50 APO.
Or stick with the 35 alone as a 1 lens solution, and use crop where you need to in-camera or in post.

People shots dominate at weddings and super wides are not always flattering, you may not find much need for the 21.

May 03, 2024 at 12:26 PM
saxguy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Traveling to Cabo and need to figure out what kit to take...

Stephen G wrote:
For weddings where I am a guest I usually lean towards a smaller kit.
Like a Q, or M with 1 lens, etc.

If you are set on the SL3, you should bring the minimum lens kit you can get by with.
As you point out its got the crop mode, high resolution and you wouldn't be printing any of it large.

So why not something like 21 & 50 APO.
Or stick with the 35 alone as a 1 lens solution, and use crop where you need to in-camera or in post.

People shots dominate at weddings and super wides are not always
...Show more

I agree that at the wedding itself, no need for the 21. I was going to take it for some coastal photography.

May 03, 2024 at 01:10 PM
Robin Smith
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Traveling to Cabo and need to figure out what kit to take...

21/35/75 APO. Widest range.

May 03, 2024 at 02:48 PM
RustyRus
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Traveling to Cabo and need to figure out what kit to take...

Have you been to Cabo before?

Customs, Long airport ride, somewhat shady, hot, etc.

I would want the smallest kit possible. You know your level of comfort when traveling but I wouldn't want a massive kit with me-

I also see almost zero need for a wide angle on the beach unless you are going to someplace like lovers beach and want close ups of the rock formations.

SL3 and 35 APO is about as much gear as I would want to carry- Even that for me is to much but we all are different in the gear we can lug with us.

I would take a Q3 or an M11 w/ a 35 Lux with me from a focal length perspective. I wouldn't get to concerned with 3 or 4 lenses for focal lengths but I may be different from how you view things.

Have a great trip

May 03, 2024 at 11:26 PM
plasticmoz
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Traveling to Cabo and need to figure out what kit to take...

Agreed with this. 28/50 on a M would be perfect.

RustyRus wrote:
Have you been to Cabo before?

Customs, Long airport ride, somewhat shady, hot, etc.

I would want the smallest kit possible. You know your level of comfort when traveling but I wouldn't want a massive kit with me-

I also see almost zero need for a wide angle on the beach unless you are going to someplace like lovers beach and want close ups of the rock formations.

SL3 and 35 APO is about as much gear as I would want to carry- Even that for me is to much but we all are different in the gear we can lug
...Show more

May 04, 2024 at 07:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

coralnut
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Traveling to Cabo and need to figure out what kit to take...

I've gone sportfishing in Los Cabos every year since the late 70s. Back then the town was primarily a sportfishing destination that had not yet developed for tourism. The SJD airport was barely more than a landing strip. It had a huge circus tent as a makeshift terminal. You had to scavenge for your bags on the tarmac. And the road to Los Cabos was an unpaved dirt road. La Paz was just a fishing village. Jeeps were used as taxis. It has changed a lot during it's evolution into a tourist destination.

Someone previously mentioned that Cabo can be a shady place. It has become that due to it's evolution into a tourist destination. You might never know it, based upon the development of tourist hotels, timeshares, nightclubs, and it's status as a wedding destination, but you only have to deviate a block or two off of the main drag to find organized crime, drugs, prostitution, etc., and desperate people in poverty. The main drag is well protected by armed guards to keep the tourists safe. Plainclothes security personnel are everywhere on the main drag, to the point that many of the nightclubs' "patrons" are actually plainclothes security personnel pretending to be patrons. The tourist strip is highly protected -- by both uniform and plainclothes personnel. Somewhere in my photo collection I have a Kodachrome of "Federales" with battle rifles limiting the locals' access to the tourist-only south beach.

When traveling about the city I would be adamant about not venturing out alone, staying in large groups, staying on the main drag, taking cabs instead of walking to areas off of the main drag, especially at night. I would also cover up any red dots or other brand labels on your gear. Seriously. Openly carrying a lot of camera gear will make you stand out as a target. Situational awareness is important.

With that said, Los Cabos can be a wonderful and safe place to visit if you just take reasonable steps as an experienced/cautious traveler. It's a safe place both during daytime and nighttime if you stay in the areas that are populated by tourists. It's no so safe if you go out of the protected zones.

When I travel to Los Cobos I tend to carry the simplest gear possible, I tend to leave my most expensive gear at home, and I prefer to carry gear that works well but I wouldn't feel bad about losing. You might not believe this, but I've been there so many times that the allure of carrying camera gear has worn off to the point that I've been carrying a PhD on recent trips.

May 04, 2024 at 10:48 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Traveling to Cabo and need to figure out what kit to take...

I assume your friend has already hired a wedding photographer and nothing is as annoying to them as having another there if you know what I mean.
For the wedding itself I’d use the smallest, most discrete camera. For your tourist stuff - whatever kit you want.

May 04, 2024 at 11:57 AM
saxguy
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Traveling to Cabo and need to figure out what kit to take...

Desmolicious wrote:
I assume your friend has already hired a wedding photographer and nothing is as annoying to them as having another there if you know what I mean.
For the wedding itself I’d use the smallest, most discrete camera. For your tourist stuff - whatever kit you want.

My friend is a chef first and a photographer second (has done some collabs with Leica). She told me to bring my whole setup and she knows exactly what I have. I was more concerned about photographing some if the higher profile people there, but everyone was very gracious. She did hire photographers, yes, and I spoke with them throughout the weekend. Stayed out if they’re way, as I tend to shoot more candids. Even shared a few of my images with them.

My 75 APO got a lot of use during the weekend and my 21 APO came in very handy during the reception. All in all, it was a great weekend.

For those concerned about safety, I had a private transfer to and from the airport by the Montage, where we stayed for the whole weekend. We never left the property as there were wedding events planned for the days we were there. I never felt unsafe at any point.

There was one interesting thing that happened when I was going through security at Newark airport when leaving for the weekend. I knew they might examine my kit, as it’s been an issue before. After going through the X-ray machine they opened my bag, looked at the lenses and swiped them with whatever they use to run through their spectrometer. Before I knew it a bunch of TSA officers showed up and started questioning me about where I had been, what I photographed, etc. I do a lot of photography at Fort Hancock here in NJ, which used to be an active missile base. Apparently there’s also lots of chemical residue from missiles and various munitions/explosives they used there as well as UXOs - some of which made its way onto my gear. So… just a heads up if anyone is photographing in those types of places - you might want to clean your gear before traveling.

Jun 09, 2024 at 12:16 AM
Malabito
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Traveling to Cabo and need to figure out what kit to take...

Don't be that guy at weddings who is not the hired photographer but brings more equipment than the hired photographer and is always getting in the way...and he thinks that he is entitled to get in the way and jeopardize the people working.

Now regarding the trip, it all depends on whether it's a photo-focused trip or a family trip. If it's a photo trip, I would bring a 21mm, 35mm, and 75mm lens. If it's a family trip, only the 35mm. Less is more, and carrying all those primes is quite a load. They are heavy and big, which makes them uncomfortable, and you will be thinking about your bag, safety, etc., all the time.

Jun 09, 2024 at 12:25 AM
saxguy
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Traveling to Cabo and need to figure out what kit to take...

Malabito wrote:
Don't be that guy at weddings who is not the hired photographer but brings more equipment than the hired photographer and is always getting in the way...and he thinks that he is entitled to get in the way and jeopardize the people working.

Now regarding the trip, it all depends on whether it's a photo-focused trip or a family trip. If it's a photo trip, I would bring a 21mm, 35mm, and 75mm lens. If it's a family trip, only the 35mm. Less is more, and carrying all those primes is quite a load. They are heavy and big, which makes
...Show more

Pretty much the exact lenses I ended up using. Didn’t get in the way of the hired pros at all. Read my post above.

Jun 09, 2024 at 05:51 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.