Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Options for Elinchrom Quadra style setup?

rufus strangepoint

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Options for Elinchrom Quadra style setup?

Looking for options on new gear that would match the form factor and power of the Elinchrom Quadras 400ws. Shoulder strap battery pack with light weight heads.

I see that elinchrom does the ELB 500 series now, and there is the godox ad600400 extension heads but they are still heavy.

I basically want someyhing5that can be used ona flash bracket but packs more punch than your standard Speedlite or ad200

Anyone aware of any other products out there?

Apr 30, 2024 at 11:33 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Options for Elinchrom Quadra style setup?

3lb is light but 4.5 lb is heavy. Never understood all this. But then what do I know.

Apr 30, 2024 at 05:46 PM
rufus strangepoint

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Options for Elinchrom Quadra style setup?

I am mostly refering to the weight of the heads

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:30 PM
rufus strangepoint

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Options for Elinchrom Quadra style setup?

The quadra heads where a mere 250 grams or half a pound

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:31 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Options for Elinchrom Quadra style setup?

In what regard does the old Quadra system not meet your current requirements? If you need TTL with ~400W/s and a very light head then the only option is a pack/head system and the only one I know of is the ELB 500.

There was supposedly something from Jinbei (IIRC) some years ago that Adorama was going to bring in (IIRC), but never did.

May 04, 2024 at 03:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

delsol9400
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Options for Elinchrom Quadra style setup?

Funny you mention Jinbei... A bit off topic, but all these Westcott lights people are buying are basically rebranded Jinbei. Much better off with the PCB Celestial.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403192706337?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1aARqNAbxTjOY8R462hkLmQ33&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=403192706337&targetid=1587268789337&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9012206&poi=&campaignid=19894961968&mkgroupid=148855406073&rlsatarget=pla-1587268789337&abcId=9307911&merchantid=425225456&gad_source=1

rscheffler wrote:
In what regard does the old Quadra system not meet your current requirements? If you need TTL with ~400W/s and a very light head then the only option is a pack/head system and the only one I know of is the ELB 500.

There was supposedly something from Jinbei (IIRC) some years ago that Adorama was going to bring in (IIRC), but never did.

May 06, 2024 at 01:34 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Options for Elinchrom Quadra style setup?

It was this: Orlit Rover RT. I was super interested in it because it was basically like a Quadra pack/head system but with built-in Canon RT compatibility... which I use/used as my primary method of trigging my off-camera non-Canon strobes (via the now-discontinued Phottix Laso tx/rx system).

Here's a news blurb about it.

Not sure why it never appeared, or didn't last long. IIRC there was another Orlit unit that got some fairly unfavorable reviews compared to the now-standard Godox gear nearly everyone uses. Maybe it's because Orlit/Jinbei is now imported/distributed by Westcott as their house brand.

I wonder if it's actually still available in the Chinese domestic market and just never made a successful transition to the US and EU markets. After a little more digging: it was called the Jinbei Mars-3 TTL. Some shops in Australia, EU and Middle East sold it but now show it as no longer available. I did find a shop in Kenya that claims to still have stock. Listing

A photographer's review.

I haven't yet tried the Celestial but it sure does seem to better many of the Chinese strobes in its class, at least on paper. But I think it arrived years too late now that Godox is so entrenched at the lower end of the market.

May 06, 2024 at 08:57 PM
rufus strangepoint

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Options for Elinchrom Quadra style setup?

It's mostly the age of the Quadra systems that is off putting. A lot of the kits up for sale have the lead gel batteries which would likely need recelling. And the difficulty in sourcing spare parts that will increase the further away from production we move.

That orlit river system looks almost perfect, but it's also out of production.

Think I'll just cough up the cash for the elb 500

May 08, 2024 at 11:31 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Options for Elinchrom Quadra style setup?

I forgot totally about the Profoto B2... But it's not 400W/s and expensive.

Quadra: It's super easy to replace the SLAs and pretty inexpensive. But got tired of that and DIY'd a LiFePO4 battery replacement for four of my Quadras. It made a HUGE endurance improvement with the added bonus of significant weight reduction. The lithium battery is designed as a direct size and voltage fit for the old SLA in the Quadra battery box, but with significantly higher capacity. But it only seems to work well with the original style packs (Quadra and Quadra RX). The ELB 400 didn't like the hacked battery - it would shut down if power level was relatively high combined with rapid pops. Probably too much voltage/current fluctuation. I watched a teardown video of the ELB 400's lithium battery pack and it has a significant circuit board that obviously does something to bridge the battery to the pack, which the old Quadra SLA battery packs don't have.

ELB 500 will give you a more modern system.

May 08, 2024 at 10:21 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.