Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Camera advice for friend: Hiking

jcbradshaw
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera advice for friend: Hiking

Hi All,

I've not been keeping up to date with camera trends, so I need some advice for a friend. She does a lot of hiking and has a great eye for landscape photography. What she doesn't have is a "real" camera. Just her phone.

So here are the criteria:
1. Fairly light and not too bulky
2. Better than a phone
3. Not (significantly) over $1000. I know. This is a hard one since it eliminates mirrorless.

I can point her to a good point and shoot, but wanted some input from those who know. And yes, I'll teach her how to use Manual exposure control, and more.

Thanks so much!
Jeff

Apr 29, 2024 at 11:07 AM
jcbradshaw
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera advice for friend: Hiking

I really have been out of the loop. I just looked at Mirrorless and found that they are now way less than I thought. Of course, she'd need to add at least one lens, but...

Apr 29, 2024 at 11:11 AM
The Rat
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera advice for friend: Hiking

I use an Olympus EM1 Mk2 (to be found used here around $425ish) for hiking/landscapes, with the hi-res mode almost all the time. That and the 12-40 Pro lens ($400ish used) would do most of what she needs. That and the 7-14 Pro are the only lenses I have and they cover what I want to take photos of.

Using the hi-res mode is a question of whether or not she wants to lug around a tripod.

Apr 29, 2024 at 12:49 PM
Burnard
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera advice for friend: Hiking

She might consider this which comes with a lens equivalent to 24mm-600mm...quite a coverage: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1361560-REG/sony_sony_rx10iv_digital_camera.html

Apr 29, 2024 at 05:48 PM
jcbradshaw
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera advice for friend: Hiking

Agreed. My "everything possible, but nothing great" camera is a Canon G3x which has that exact focal length range. I just hate looking at a monitor screen instead of holding the camera to my face. But that might not be an issue for her.

Apr 30, 2024 at 12:19 PM
csenior

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camera advice for friend: Hiking

For hiking, mirrorless cameras are a good choice. Today, all major-brand cameras take good photos, and I suggest your friend find the camera that feels most natural to her (ergonomics, menu layouts, etc.). I would not hesitate to buy used on FM from anyone with good feedback. I have saved a considerable amount doing just that, with no regrets.

Apr 30, 2024 at 12:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

StephenS_CP
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camera advice for friend: Hiking

She [and you] might better consider this: Canon R10. Pay particular attention to sensor size and overall weight before being overwhelmed by the RX10 IV super-zoom lens.

I found this with just a very quick internet search:
https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Mirrorless-RF-S18-45mm-4-5-6-3-Renewed/dp/B0B75D14SW/ref=asc_df_B0B75D14SW?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80539344142748&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584138880136762&th=1

Yes, this is for a refurbished camera and probably lens, but it is a current model with current sensor technology. I've had no problems, and therefore no qualms, with refurbished products

While I shoot mostly birds and landscape using an R5 and R7 [having migrated from the 5DSr], my lightweight, no-hassle, walk-around kit is the Canon EOS M5 with the EF-M 18-150 (the RF-s 18-150 equivalent). The R7 has a comparably small, lightweight form factor. I've found the M5 set-up to be every bit as good, possibly even a little better, in detail and image quality than the 5DSr, except for FOV. So I have no concern that an R10-based kit wouldn't meet the criteria you described, particularly in reference to size and bulk.

The advertised kit with lens is roughly equivalent in range to your own 24-70 and would be well under the budget estimate. It is a fairly limited focal length range for someone that may not want to invest in or be inconvenienced by multiple lenses. Buying the lens with the 18-150 combination would address that issue and still be within the upper end of the budget. It could be reduced by about $40 dollars by buying the body only on the advertised page and purchasing the lens as a separate cart item on Amazon.

For your own purposes, training support would be pretty seamless. The big learning curve changes in mirrorless are in the AF/tracking opportunities provided by sensor/software-based mechanisms. Typical street/landscape shooting isn't significantly different from the Canon DSLR menus and controls. You already know Canon's terminology, dials and menus.

Stephen

P.S. Feel free to PM me...I live near you in Sequim

Apr 30, 2024 at 06:40 PM
gel685
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camera advice for friend: Hiking

Fuji X-E3 w/18-55 for backpacking. Mine has a lot of miles on it. Images are solid. I had the XE1 and XT10 before the XE3. I was pleased with the photos from those also. Eric.

Apr 30, 2024 at 08:29 PM
RWNPhoto
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Camera advice for friend: Hiking

I'd say "OM SYSTEM OM-5 Mirrorless Camera with 12-45mm f/4 PRO Lens"... a bit more than the amount you indicated, for a new set, but you can find them in near perfect condition at several places. Small, light, way better than a phone, and has a lot of features that a landscaper could use. A lot of people poo poo the OM's (Olympus) but they are excellent first cameras, and for a lot of people, the only camera. This OM-5 isn't the top of the OM line, but it is very capable and lighter, smaller than the "1" line... Double the lens MM for full frame equivalent, so the above is a 24-90...

May 01, 2024 at 07:41 PM
DanielJStein
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Camera advice for friend: Hiking

It's honestly hard to go wrong with any entry level mirrorless. Canon R10, Nikon Z30, Sony A6500, you name it. All of these can be bundled with kit lenses for less than $1,000. Sometimes there are promos on B&H. I hike with all of my gear and it's nice to hear about someone else getting into the combination of hobbies.

May 03, 2024 at 05:45 AM
Jase1125
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Camera advice for friend: Hiking

Does it need interchangeable lenses? If a fixed lens will do, they might like a Fuji X100V. They have great in camera film styles with many recipes available online for nice JPGs.

May 03, 2024 at 07:11 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.