FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

First Trip of 2024!

Jeff
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First Trip of 2024!

I'm finally getting through the images from my first week-long trip of the year, and spent 6 days in SE Utah in early April. This was my first trip out with a new R5 (thanks @jblazar!), so my second-camera timelapse data has taken a step forward in DR compared to that previously captured with the 5Ds. It was also my first nighttime use of my new RF85/1.2, and it performed every bit as good as I'd hoped (also had issues with the star tracker which messed some images up). That being said, one thing I'll say about the 85 is that I do not like Canon's focus-by-wire implementation, as when the R5 is turned off it de-focuses the lens, and as far as I know turning the camera off is the only way to stop interval shooting. I should probably look into this further, now. lol

Bit of explanation on the first (and last) image(s), the first a wide-field pano/composite using the R5 and Sigma 40/1.4 Art:

This image (think of it like a meteor shower composite overlaid upon a pano) shows two separate intervals of satellites flaring at low altitude over the horizon, +/- 90 minutes on either side of astronomical midnight (e.g. when the sun is at its lowest point beneath the horizon). This bright flaring occurs for about 20-30 minutes, and these 53į-inclination satellites are around 1100 miles to the north, in the vicinity of Edmonton, Alberta! Some of these flares can be very, very bright to the naked eye, and there are times when you can simultaneously see 5 transiting satellites within the field of view of a standard pair of binoculars! It really is quite striking to see in person, sort of like watching a very low-speed meteor shower.

Anyway, if you want more technical details on what these 'flare' images show and how I captured them, feel free to check out this blog post:

https://catchingtime.com/starlink-satellite-swarm-from-37n-latitude/

Cheers,

Jeff

Starlink Satellite 'swarms' near Factory Butte, UT

Canon EOS R5    40mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art 018 lens    40mm    f/2.5    25s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Henry Mountains during Blue Hour

Canon EOS R5    RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM lens    105mm    f/5.6    1/125s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

Campsite at Valley of the Gods

Canon EOS R5    28mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art 019 lens    28mm    f/1.8    90s    2000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Afternoon shadows

Canon EOS R5    RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM lens    105mm    f/8.0    1/400s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Ring around the Moon

Canon EOS R5    RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM lens    105mm    f/8.0    1/3s    400 ISO    -2.7 EV  

Star trail image with satellites flaring at their most-northerly orbit tracks

Canon EOS R5    40mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art 018 lens    40mm    f/1.8    90s    2000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 28, 2024 at 05:53 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First Trip of 2024!

Couple screenshots for those interested in weird details, including one that @snapsy should apprecaite (thanks again!):

1) Another muon! [been finding lots of them recently since Iíve been shooting time-lapses]

2) Ever see a green star trail? Stars are not green, this is actually the Catís Eye Nebula!

3) Ever seen a red satellite? Me either, until this tripÖ

muon

Cat's Eye Nebula

red satellite

Apr 28, 2024 at 05:55 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First Trip of 2024!

Jeff wrote:
Couple screenshots for those interested in weird details, including one that @snapsy@ should apprecaite (thanks again!):

1) Another muon! [been finding lots of them recently since Iíve been shooting time-lapses]

2) Ever see a green star trail? Stars are not green, this is actually the Catís Eye Nebula!

3) Ever seen a red satellite? Me either, until this tripÖ

Jeez Jeff, NASA should hire to help find alien life forms

Apr 28, 2024 at 06:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First Trip of 2024!

snapsy wrote:
Jeez Jeff, NASA should hire to help find alien life forms

I actually haven't posted that picture...

Apr 29, 2024 at 01:27 AM
roboticspro
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First Trip of 2024!

Jeff,

Thanks for sharing these; looks like that was one hell of a trip!

Regards,

Edd

Apr 29, 2024 at 06:38 AM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First Trip of 2024!

roboticspro wrote:
Jeff,

Thanks for sharing these; looks like that was one hell of a trip!

Regards,

Edd

Thanks, it was indeed, though the weather left something to be desired (windy for days, low 50s and mid 20s at night). First time I've ever had a tripod blow over in the middle of the night, though it was my fault for not adding weight. Was lucky the glass of the bulbous Sigma 14mm buried itself in relatively soft soil/small rocks, rather than pure rock (would have been just my luck to obviate my old R5 on my first outing with the new R5).

Apr 29, 2024 at 08:33 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.