Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5              end

"Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!&q...

RustyRus
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

Desmolicious wrote:
If what he says is true, where is the bias?

I agree- there wasn’t any I don’t like the buttons or any real opinions- It was all based on the facts of the camera that is pretty obvious-

I was interested- Im not anymore- Bummer-

May 22, 2024 at 10:41 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

Desmolicious wrote:
If what he says is true, where is the bias?

I guess you didn’t read the text of the post I quoted.

May 23, 2024 at 12:07 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

May 23, 2024 at 01:18 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

molson wrote:
I guess you didn’t read the text of the post I quoted.

I did. So you are saying his statements are untrue because he is no longer a Panny Ambassador? I actually believe them more now knowing that. Plus it seems other reviewers have verified them.

May 23, 2024 at 01:46 AM
szwayko

p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

Good platform for lenses - Leica M mount?
https://www.thephoblographer.com/2024/05/22/using-the-panasonic-s9-with-leica-m-mount-lenses/

May 23, 2024 at 02:37 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

szwayko wrote:
https://www.thephoblographer.com/2024/05/22/using-the-panasonic-s9-with-leica-m-mount-lenses/

Thanks for posting as I probably would not have seen otherwise.

Not surprised to read some are already mounting M lenses to the S9, something many of us speculated during the early days of S9 rumors. Now the S9 is here and I understand a bit more about their in-camera LUT/film style approach, seems the scenario described in the article could be a lot of fun from capture to "skipping the edit" to share very quickly and easily with perhaps a quick crop in between when needed.

Nothing new about adapting M lenses to various mirrorless cameras and using zone focusing, nor applying film styles or jpg styles, so I'm not sure if the S9 is any better for adapting M lenses than other non-Leica mirrorless cameras, TBD. But maybe the small and compact, full frame Lmount S9 is a potential harbinger to a slightly modified/styled Leica at some point in the near future with custom M-friendly, micro-lenses and Leica Looks? 😉😉

May 23, 2024 at 06:33 AM
stgrove
• • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

LBJ2 wrote:
Thanks for posting as I probably would not have seen otherwise.

Not surprised to read some are already mounting M lenses to the S9, something many of us speculated during the early days of S9 rumors. Now the S9 is here and I understand a bit more about their in-camera LUT/film style approach, seems the scenario described in the article could be a lot of fun from capture to "skipping the edit" to share very quickly and easily with perhaps a quick crop in between when needed.

Nothing new about adapting M lenses to various mirrorless cameras and using zone focusing,
...Show more

Leica had better put a REAL hot shoe on it if they want it (whatever that may be) to sell.

May 23, 2024 at 12:23 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

stgrove wrote:
Leica had better put a REAL hot shoe on it if they want it (whatever that may be) to sell.

The S9 rumors did say something about an "unexpected” new Lumix camera, and I think a cold shoe was pretty unexpected. Ha Ha.

May 23, 2024 at 02:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

snapsy
• • • • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

It just occurred to me why Panasonic has chosen to limit raws to 12-bit. It's to increase the readout speed, since they left out a mechanical shutter on the camera.

My measurements of the S5 IIX show it has a 14-bit readout or 1/19.71 and a 12-bit readout of 1/38:

https://horshack-dpreview.github.io/RollingShutter/#Panasonic%20S5%20IIx

May 24, 2024 at 05:20 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

Sigma did it better with the original fp even though it also only has electronic shutter, as they provide the user the option to choose between 14-bit and 12-bit Raw files from the menu of the camera...

Not sure about the readout speeds on fp though.

May 24, 2024 at 05:28 AM
serhan_
• • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/panasonic-s9-vs-sony-a7c-real-life-comparison/

May 24, 2024 at 07:53 AM
serhan_
• • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

SL2 has 1.2mm cover glass vs FP 1.3mm glass vs Panasonic S1R 1.45mm per Kolari though it might be different btw models. I used FP with mostly M lenses as the small lenses didn't exist when it was released. Now Sigma has dg dn small lenses. S9 IBIS will help to steady the lenses, but no evf. The best for m lenses is SL2/SL3 or CL with lens profiles to do lens corrections in the camera profiles and SL2/SL3 have the Panasonic IBIS tech also.

szwayko wrote:

May 24, 2024 at 08:04 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

LBJ2 wrote:
But maybe the small and compact, full frame Lmount S9 is a potential harbinger to a slightly modified/styled Leica at some point in the near future with custom M-friendly, micro-lenses and Leica Looks? 😉😉

+1. Potential two bummers with a Leica based EVF-M: L-mount instead of M-mount and price tag.

May 24, 2024 at 10:25 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

Lots about the S9 press event, including a revelation that Panasonic didn't invite Gerald to Japan because they said he wouldn't like the camera.

May 24, 2024 at 04:00 PM
stgrove
• • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

Wow, never saw this guy before, but I must say he only reinforced my jaded view and my feelings when I see a YouTube video of a new product. I figure you accept their trip and you had better tow their line or else.

Because of my views I watch less and less new product reviews except for just a few people. If every camera is great this does not help the potential buyer.

At least on the S9, Ted Forbes and Chris on Petapixel both mentioned they miss having an EVF especially for outdoor use where the LCD screen gives glare.

May 24, 2024 at 05:46 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

"While Polarizing, the Lumix S9 is Already Outselling Panasonic’s Expectations"–PetaPixel

"There is no better word to describe the public response to the Panasonic Lumix S9 than polarizing. The loudest voices on social media hammered the camera for its stripped-down approach but that hasn’t hurt its popularity.

Panasonic has started accepting pre-orders for the compact camera and says that even with the bad press related to the use of stock images on the Japanese web page for the S9, pre-orders are outpacing the company’s expectations.

***It’s not unusual to see a note like this from a Japanese camera company as publicly traded entities there are required to make such a statement if there are any hiccups or shortages in product availability. It is notable in this case, however, because of the online conversations surrounding the camera. If a photographer were just to base expectations for sales on social media discourse, the assumption would be that this camera would sell poorly. That is clearly not the case."

https://petapixel.com/2024/06/11/while-polarizing-the-lumix-s9-is-already-outselling-panasonics-expectations/

Interesting response in the comments for this article, which aligns somewhat with my own thoughts on the Panasonic S9 launch and subsequent forum and Youtube drama...I think the market is there, they just don't hang out on Photography forums. We shall see…

wbo88
2 hours ago
"Good! I want Lumix to succeed here, but they're taking a big risk. I think it's a gamble whether there's a market for expensive cameras outside "yer traditional photography blog reader" - and Lumix is about to find out."

Jun 11, 2024 at 01:43 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.