Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              6       end

"Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!&q...

RustyRus
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

LBJ2 wrote:
I also think something is in the works. Maybe not a camera with the M-rangefinder designator unless of course they go back to the drawing board and are able to revive the dual RF/EVF M camera prototype with better results this time. But even something like the Leica version of the full frame compact S9 L-mount camera geared toward Photography and not Video, could be very interesting IMO.

Both- Photography and Video- Just needs to not be massive like the SL3

May 21, 2024 at 03:08 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

RustyRus wrote:
Both- Photography and Video- Just needs to not be massive like the SL3

I love the so-called by some, massive SL2 body and design for adapting M lenses. I haven't tried the slightly less so-called massive SL3 yet. Either way, I've good for an EVF camera with all modern camera bells and whistles for my tiny M lenses, and some of the BIG M less too! 😎

But I would like to see what Leica comes up with for an EVF M-like camera solution.

Edited on May 21, 2024 at 03:16 PM · View previous versions

May 21, 2024 at 03:13 PM
RustyRus
• • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

LBJ2 wrote:
I love the so-called by some, massive SL2 body and design for adapting M lenses. I haven't tried the slightly less so-called massive SL3 yet. Either way, I've good for an EVF camera with all modern camera bells and whistles for my tiny M lenses, and some of the BIG M less too! 😎

HAHA- Massive is a stretch but I consider the A7rV massive as well and I own one

May 21, 2024 at 03:15 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

RustyRus wrote:
HAHA- Massive is a stretch but I consider the A7rV massive as well and I own one

No worries. I also thought the SL2 was large too until I tried it. Coming from Sony mirrorless and Leica M, it did however take a few outings for me to acclimate and now it's like one of my favorite camera form factors and I'm a bit worried how I might feel about the new SL3 body style. But I want that M11 sensor in the SL3 for my Leica SL APO primes, so I'm sure I'll get over any concerns quickly ha ha.

Back to the S9... and tomorrow's announcement.

May 21, 2024 at 03:19 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

LBJ2 wrote:
No worries. I also thought the SL2 was large too until I tried it. Coming from Sony mirrorless and Leica M, it did however take a few outings for me to acclimate and now it's like one of my favorite camera form factors and I'm a bit worried how I might feel about the new SL3 body style. But I want that M11 sensor in the SL3 for my Leica SL APO primes, so I'm sure I'll get over any concerns quickly ha ha.

Back to the S9... and tomorrow's announcement.

I prefer the SL3. I prefer it over the SL2 and the A7R5. It's not really smaller than the SL2 by any measurable margin. Just that the grip is closer to the lens mount by 4mm. You can still get your fingers in there easily (I'm looking at you Sony) but the balance is better because you're closer to the pivot point.

Always funny how the SL's are massive but the Z8 isn't.... SL3 is 30 grams heavier than a Canon R5.

Gordon

May 21, 2024 at 04:27 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

flash wrote:
I prefer the SL3. I prefer it over the SL2 and the A7R5. It's not really smaller than the SL2 by any measurable margin. Just that the grip is closer to the lens mount by 4mm. You can still get your fingers in there easily (I'm looking at you Sony) but the balance is better because you're closer to the pivot point.

Always funny how the SL's are massive but the Z8 isn't.... SL3 is 30 grams heavier than a Canon R5.

Gordon

I've received the SL3 buy call twice. But also declined twice. Thank you for posting your hands-on experience with the new SL3 form factor compared to the SL2 🤔

Besides, who doesn't love these Leica Camera videos : SL3 : One of my current favorites:

Back to the S9... and tomorrow's announcement

May 21, 2024 at 04:56 PM
SlowDriver
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

RustyRus wrote:
Seriously man- I don't understand why Leica wont make this camera-

I don't believe anybody does... With the T/TL2, the Q, the SL and the CL they literally have had all stepping stones in place since 7 years now...

Edited on May 21, 2024 at 06:11 PM · View previous versions

May 21, 2024 at 06:03 PM
SlowDriver
• • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

flash wrote:
SL3 is 30 grams heavier than a Canon R5.

The Canon R5 is 738g with battery. The SL3 is 769g without battery (body only).

May 21, 2024 at 06:06 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

SlowDriver wrote:
The Canon R5 is 738g with battery. The SL3 is 769g without battery (body only).

Apologies. I can't type. Should have been 130 grams.

Gordon

May 22, 2024 at 03:33 AM
jimmy462
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

Going live at 10 a.m. EDT...

5.22 - COMING SOON - YouTube

May 22, 2024 at 06:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

LBJ2
• • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

"Lumix S9 already available for preorder at Bestbuy -> and full spec sheet!"

Full Specs here:

https://www.l-rumors.com/lumix-s9-already-available-for-reorder-at-bestbuy/

May 22, 2024 at 07:01 AM
cangeaion

p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

Petapixel just posted a video https://youtu.be/xRULM5-qFA8?si=N2w4EQONUBeCbDfB

May 22, 2024 at 09:08 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

RustyRus wrote:
Seriously man- I don't understand why Leica wont make this camera-

I think cause it undercuts their whole brand and identify! The little niche market they have would give up on m-bodies largely I think.

May 22, 2024 at 12:06 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

retrofocus wrote:
Pretty sure some kind of Leica "EVF M" will come. Hopefully with smaller M-mount! But pricing will be easily double compared to the Panny.

Yeah, at some point it will happen. At this point, just not really that interested given what we agree on will be very high price.

I have a modded a7rii. The whole thing costs $1,300 bucks for native performance with IBIS and EVF and that lovely 42mp sensor.

And that extra money goes toward great glass

May 22, 2024 at 12:12 PM
serhan_
• • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

Written version- Small, Pretty, and Confusing:
https://petapixel.com/2024/05/22/panasonic-s9-initial-review-small-pretty-and-confusing/

"The sensor in the S9 does not scan particularly fast and therefore rolling shutter is also an issue.

Using the S9, I can’t help but feel like much has been stripped away from the camera, therefore creating limitations and quirks that will annoy more advanced photographers. The Panasonic S9 certainly has some merit as a Vlogging camera with its fully articulating screen, good eye-detect AF, and straight-to-smartphone app but the lack of a headphone jack will upset both basic shooters and commercial videographers alike.

The real challenge arises when you consider that all the features and so much more can be found on the S5 II for just a little bit more investment. Take the Lumix Lab app away and you are left with a very basic camera that will only appeal to those users who want either the smallest full-frame L-mount experience possible — or the most simplistic."

cangeaion wrote:
Petapixel just posted a video https://youtu.be/xRULM5-qFA8?si=N2w4EQONUBeCbDfB

Size comparison: https://cameradecision.com/blog/Panasonic-S9-Size-Compared-to-S5-Mark-II-Sony-ZV-E1-and-Fujifilm-X100VI-Cameras

May 22, 2024 at 12:36 PM
stgrove
• • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

A cold shoe. What were they thinking? Maybe still photographers still exist who like to see what they are focusing on. Ted Forbes mentioned it was hard to focus in sunlight.

Electronic shutter only. Maybe still photographers still exist who like to use mechanical shutters.

So this is not for still photographers. Do we still exist??

May 22, 2024 at 06:38 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

serhan_ wrote:

Written version- Small, Pretty, and Confusing:
https://petapixel.com/2024/05/22/panasonic-s9-initial-review-small-pretty-and-confusing/

"The sensor in the S9 does not scan particularly fast and therefore rolling shutter is also an issue.

Using the S9, I can’t help but feel like much has been stripped away from the camera, therefore creating limitations and quirks that will annoy more advanced photographers. The Panasonic S9 certainly has some merit as a Vlogging camera with its fully articulating screen, good eye-detect AF, and straight-to-smartphone app but the lack of a headphone jack will upset both basic shooters and commercial videographers alike.

The real challenge arises when you consider that all the features and
...Show more

Chris has had a pretty strong anti-Panasonic bias since he ceased to become part of their ambassador program, so I would take his opionions with the appropriate grain of salt.

May 22, 2024 at 08:03 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

stgrove wrote:
A cold shoe. What were they thinking? Maybe still photographers still exist who like to see what they are focusing on. Ted Forbes mentioned it was hard to focus in sunlight.

Electronic shutter only. Maybe still photographers still exist who like to use mechanical shutters.

So this is not for still photographers. Do we still exist??

E-Shutter only ... probable pass. Could be candidate for a pocket rocket with an M lens on it, but ... e-shutter only is a strong non-starter for a a variety of things.

May 22, 2024 at 08:58 PM
serhan_
• • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

Sorry, where's the bias in the review? I am a FP shooter and there was no FF competition when FP is released in 2019. Sigma is not a camera company either and even brought the tiltable evf. I was expecting more from Panasonic as an owner of gm1/5, gx7/85/9. You can get an A7C for 1K used and trade value is $750.... Maybe Q3 success & Leica relationship is preventing Panasonic to make it a real photo camera. Leica is even saying:

Leica: Selling L-Mount Cameras is ‘Tougher Than Selling a Q or an M’

molson wrote:
Chris has had a pretty strong anti-Panasonic bias since he ceased to become part of their ambassador program, so I would take his opionions with the appropriate grain of salt.

Edited on May 22, 2024 at 10:32 PM · View previous versions

May 22, 2024 at 10:28 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

molson wrote:

If what he says is true, where is the bias?

May 22, 2024 at 10:30 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.