Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1              3              5       6       end

"Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!&q...

SlowDriver
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

From a discussion on LUF:

FWIW, I was at Leica LA this weekend and posed this very question to one of the very kind employees. What he said is much in line with what Rick in CO stated. They have heard that the next big release will be an interchangeable lens Q. Now, we've all been around the block a few times with rumors from dealers, and as a friend of mine pointed out: wouldn't this take away sales from the SL3? But, the man said the next releases are the D-Lux 8 and an interchangeable lens Q!

Apr 25, 2024 at 09:15 AM
saxguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

SlowDriver wrote:

FWIW, I was at Leica LA this weekend and posed this very question to one of the very kind employees. What he said is much in line with what Rick in CO stated. They have heard that the next big release will be an interchangeable lens Q. Now, we've all been around the block a few times with rumors from dealers, and as a friend of mine pointed out: wouldn't this take away sales from the SL3? But, the man said the next releases are the D-Lux 8 and an interchangeable lens Q!

I guess the big question here is if the interchangeable lens Q will be M mount or L mount. My gut says M mount based on form, which would technically make it a M with an EVF and no autofocus - they will probably say it's a Q, though, to appease the purists who feel that M is exclusively a rangefinder.

The fact that Leica has been producing M mount lenses with close focus ability may support this idea, since the rangefinder of the M series is useless at these close focus distances.

Apr 25, 2024 at 09:51 AM
jimmy462
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

It's now been 5-years this month that I became a stalwart Panasonic fan hopping onboard the Lumix-train with my 2x S1's after outfitting my sweetie with a G9/100-400 just months prior when they were released. It seemed like Panasonic was "on to something big" as 2019 unfolded, and when they "spilled the beans" later that year at IBC2019 that their (then) long-touted organic 8K, 15-to-16 stops Dynamic Range, Global Shutter, with Variable ND, CMOS was being developed for the 2020 Olympic Games in Japan and that it would find its way into their Cinema, Studio and Lumix cameras, I thought, "yep, this is a platform to grow with!".

An exclusive insight into the Panasonic 8K organic sensor - YouTube

And, then, silence. Until 2021 when they again began touring with a specimen in a glass box and a glossy product brochure...

Panasonic Advancing Development of 8K Global Shutter 'Organic' Sensor | PetaPixel
https://petapixel.com/2021/11/02/panasonic-advancing-development-of-8k-global-shutter-organic-sensor/

opf_cmos_image_sensor_2021 - opf_cmos_image_sensor_2021.pdf
https://tech.panasonic.com/jp/td/data/technology/opf_cmos_image_sensor_2021.pdf

Then, more silence. And then, in 2023, back-tracking...

No 8K for Panasonic: consumer demand "is not enough" | Digital Camera World
https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/no-8k-for-panasonic-consumer-demand-is-not-enough

Today, as I type this, looking at Panasonic's current web pages for both their Lumix line and the Pro-AV websites one discovers that they're still celebrating their 20th Anniversary of Lumix, which, um, was 5-years ago (no 25th celebration?!), and their Pro AV site's most current "What's New" content is from 2022.

LUMIX | Panasonic North America - United States
https://na.panasonic.com/us/lumix

VariCam/EVA1 | Cinema Camera Global | Panasonic
https://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/cinema_camera_varicam_eva/index.html

I have 2 "go bags" of camera gear which carry my current daily shooters...

1. S1, Sigma 60-600 DN, Sigma TC-1411, DMW-MS2 mic, in a Lowepro Flipside 300 AW II used ~95% of the time...
2. GH6, 50-200, 12-60, 1.4x TC, DMW-MS2 mic in a Lowepro Slingshot Edge 250 the remaining 5%.

...I love setup #1 and it gets constant use out in the field for my local nature/wildlife/birding jaunts! I even invested in an Atomos V+ to play around with and learn RAW shooting and processing but it has seen less use than the GH6! (One sometimes has to learn the hard way as to what is truly field-impractical! )

So enjoyable have my sweetie's and my setups been, the birthday fairy recently ungraded her system to a G9II/100-40II and my daughter has found herself the happy shooter of an S5 and lens outfit to call her own (an S5II is on her wishlist!)

I've wanted nothing more than to see Panasonic succeed. I've wanted, and have been hoping for, a nice juicy upgrade from them from my current 24MP stills shooting to >40MP and for that to coincide with an upgrade from 6K Open Gate shooting to 8K Internal RAW with their "magical" Organic CMOS! Have I been asking and hoping for too much?! I'm practically begging them to take my money!

But, from all that I've posted above, it seems to me that Panasonic have somehow lost the wind from their sails from 5-years ago and are currently adrift at sea, and the armadas from other manufacturers have sailed past them to new horizons.

In particular, the 45.7MP, 8K-internal-RAW Z8 has been on my radar for several months now and, I've come to the realization these past few months, that it's only my recently acquired Sigma 60-600 DN (thank you, Sweetie!) that has kept me from jumping ship. And that's pathetic in several ways, actually, and I've been questioning my brand-loyalty to Panasonic the whole time, of late.

Case in point, I'm currently monitoring and documenting a local Bald Eagle nest and their young, and everyday I've been asking myself why I'm not shooting it with more MP for both my stills and video. And, I've actually taken to searching for a used S1R of fp L just for more stills MP! But I've held off in hopes that Panasonic has got to be releasing their Mark II S-cameras sometime soon!

The epitome of "pathetic", confessed publicly on the internet! Haw!

The TLDR...I wish Panasonic well on this rumored release, and great future success. I truly do! But my pom-poms are currently in the recycling bin at the curb.

Jimmy G

Apr 25, 2024 at 09:59 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

goodbokeh wrote:
Many have expressed the desire and Leica has (discreetly) expressed interest in a Leica M mount camera with a EVF and/or ibis. Those features will be technically very difficult and expensive to be fitted within the current M body profile. Besides that, just think of the berserk bug fest that the new owners of such a EVF/ibis M model would have to endure.

A more technological achievable platform would be provided by this "unexpected" Lumix body offering a L-mount with a rangefinder profile. Think of it as the Panasonic prelude to that wished for Leica M EVF/ibis model that just needs
...Show more

Some interesting comments in this rumor thread. Personally, I'm hoping it's full frame, whatever it turns out to be.

Apr 25, 2024 at 11:09 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

snapsy wrote:
Panasonic has a long history of introducing unexpected cameras, hence their low market share. Perhaps they should consider releasing something expected.

Apr 25, 2024 at 11:15 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

LBJ2 wrote:
Some interesting comments in this rumor thread. Personally, I'm hoping it's full frame, whatever it turns out to be.

After shooting Fuji APS-C cameras for a while, I've come to realize that you can achieve similar results to full-frame by simply adjusting the lens lineup to match the desired focal length. Similar to medium format cameras, in general terms, full frame offer superior DR (about 1 stop better) and improved SNR due to their higher light-gathering capabilities. However, APS-C technology is very mature, and you can still achieve great results with smaller systems.

Apr 25, 2024 at 11:16 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

Fred Miranda wrote:
After shooting Fuji APS-C cameras for a while, I've come to realize that you can achieve similar results to full-frame by simply adjusting the lens lineup to match the desired focal length. Similar to medium format cameras, in general terms, full frame offer superior DR (about 1 stop better) and improved SNR due to their higher light-gathering capabilities. However, APS-C technology is very mature, and you can still achieve great results with smaller systems.

With this comment, I was thinking more about the other Panasonic sensor size, Micro Four Thirds. But also I do have APS-C experience but not w/ Fujifilm--maybe one day!

Apr 25, 2024 at 11:22 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

SlowDriver wrote:

This bit of info sure adds to the fun!

Apr 25, 2024 at 11:32 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

saxguy wrote:
I guess the big question here is if the interchangeable lens Q will be M mount or L mount. My gut says M mount based on form, which would technically make it a M with an EVF and no autofocus - they will probably say it's a Q, though, to appease the purists who feel that M is exclusively a rangefinder.

The fact that Leica has been producing M mount lenses with close focus ability may support this idea, since the rangefinder of the M series is useless at these close focus distances.

IMO L mount would be the logical choice because of the electronic mount for full auto exposure and AF, EXIF and the ability to adapt M-mount via existing adapters. It would also be an incentive to draw more into the L mount system and shore up sales there. Making it M mount would exclude existing L mount users and possibly also upset some of the more hardcore M traditionalists who could see it as undermining the traditional M system (as you mentioned).

Fred Miranda wrote:

LBJ2 wrote:
With this comment, I was thinking more about the other Panasonic sensor size, Micro Four Thirds. But also I do have APS-C experience but not w/ Fujifilm--maybe one day!

I generally agree you just need to tweak the lens lineup accordingly for the chosen sensor format to achieve the desired results. I think this works well for APS-C, FF and mini-MF. IMO it works less well for m43 if you really like shooting fast lenses wide open a lot, like f/1.4 and faster on FF. There are various f/0.95 m43 lenses, but they're still 'only' roughly f/1.8-f/2 equivalent to FF. Hence I feel FF remains the most versatile sweet spot simply due to the vast selection of lenses available.

What I could see happen is an APS-C 'multi-aspect' sensor that might have an effective image area closer to that of m43. It could allow for more aggressive IBIS or even digital IS without an aggressive additional crop that would eliminate the need for a physical IBIS mechanism.

Apr 25, 2024 at 12:57 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

rscheffler wrote:
IMO L mount would be the logical choice because of the electronic mount for full auto exposure and AF, EXIF and the ability to adapt M-mount via existing adapters. It would also be an incentive to draw more into the L mount system and shore up sales there. Making it M mount would exclude existing L mount users and possibly also upset some of the more hardcore M traditionalists who could see it as undermining the traditional M system (as you mentioned).

Which effectively describes the Leica CL ... bumped to a FF, QL.

If Panny does bring the "contentious" Electronic M to market, legacy traditionalists can ignore / dismiss it ... it isn't a Leica, after all. The Leica M remains unadulterated.

Apr 25, 2024 at 05:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

saxguy
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

SlowDriver wrote:

My local Leica dealer doesn't take deposits for getting on lists for unreleased cameras. I was first on their list for the Q3 and SL3. I'm also first on their list for "a Q camera with an undisclosed lens." Guess who's first on their lists for an interchangeable Q camera and an M body with an EVF as of today? They'll basically make a list for any idea I throw at them and if it's released I'll get the call

Apr 25, 2024 at 05:29 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

RustyBug wrote:
Which effectively describes the Leica CL ... bumped to a FF, QL.

If Panny does bring the "contentious" Electronic M to market, legacy traditionalists can ignore / dismiss it ... it isn't a Leica, after all. The Leica M remains unadulterated.

Now this is some potential "how do we get out of this one" strategy !

Apr 25, 2024 at 05:31 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

LBJ2 wrote:
Now this is some potential "how do we get out of this one" strategy !

Since Panny is using the S1 / S5 designator, I reckon they could call it the SQ, S3 or any other iteration they want ... as long as they don't name it an "M" or give it a native M mount (although folks would go crazy for a native M mount). Maybe they make it an L mount ... and it comes with an "included" and "removable" L > M adapter.

Apr 25, 2024 at 05:35 PM
newyork
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

An M mount inexpensive alternative to Leica?

Apr 25, 2024 at 06:12 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

nehemiahphoto wrote:
The photog in me hopes for a compact FF fixed lens camera.

The videographer in me hopes for a FX3 rival.

The realist in me thinks it will be a slight tweaked version of an already released body—the S1R you mentioned is a smart guess.

And the experienced me says, how may hundreds of vague rumors have come and gone and it’s something quite inconsequential to me?

I do think they are leaning into video and that’s their real stake of a segment in the market.

It is. They brought some great lessons forward from the things they were doing with the M4/3s cameras that make the S5 IIX pleasurable enough to use for video, but the virtually open-gate 6K is the big deal. My guess is we'll see something like that in a more rig-friendly design. Maybe it'll push Sony into giving us 6K raw in the next generation of FX cameras.

Apr 25, 2024 at 07:38 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

I think if Panny releases something more rig-able (which I agree with and would love), Panny will also a) put something out that can record 4k 4:2:2 to a card at 60fps and hopefully 120 fps without a crop (still a big advantage over the a7siii for many) and b) something with better rolling shutter performance.

It's a real drag having to have a cage and SSD to access anything above 4:2:0 and having a crop at 60 fps. The A7sIII is wonderful for just popping in a memory card (though more spendy).

I don't think we'll see a box cam or anything, but I would really love internal ND's and if Panny included an internal terabyte hard drive like we have seen in some other cameras like the ZX1 (yes, I referenced it) and the M11.

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:12 PM
Geoff CB
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

nehemiahphoto wrote:
I think if Panny releases something more rig-able (which I agree with and would love), Panny will also a) put something out that can record 4k 4:2:2 to a card at 60fps and hopefully 120 fps without a crop (still a big advantage over the a7siii for many) and b) something with better rolling shutter performance.

It's a real drag having to have a cage and SSD to access anything above 4:2:0 and having a crop at 60 fps. The A7sIII is wonderful for just popping in a memory card (though more spendy).

I don't think we'll see a box cam
...Show more

The fact that the Leica SL2 is the only L mount camera that can do 60 fps in full frame needs to be addressed. Hoping for something along the lines of FX3 with a fast readout sensor. Or a replacement for the BS1H with a small screen and a better sensor would be ideal. Hell they should just steal the SL2 sensor and ad a OLPF to it and I would be happy.

Apr 26, 2024 at 10:27 AM
serhan_
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

Interesting, per m43rumors / mirrrorlessrumors:

"According to one of our readers (and rumor sharer) the new Lumix camera coming in May is a fixed lens FF camera.

It’s right to compare it to a Leica. What I know so far, is it’s full frame, fixed lens, and will be available in multiple different colors. The price point is attractive, at least when compared to the little competition in this niche.

So this camera would fall right into the hype of fixed lens cameras and in particular unique spot: Much more affordable than the Leica Q3 and much higher image quality than the Fujifilm X100VI."

Apr 30, 2024 at 03:22 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

"Capture True Color" ...announcement on May 23

"This is what we know about the new Lumix camera that will be announced on May 23:

-New Full Frame L-mount compact camera
-Camera made for “content creators”
-It has newly developed and “unqiue” features for content creators. Something never seen before!
-Uses the same S5II 24MP sensor.
-Very compact, barely taller than the L-mount itself. Smaller than the Fujifilm X100VI (without lens)
-No EVF
-Around $200 $300 less than the Lumix S5II
-Different color variations"–L-RUMORS.COM

https://www.l-rumors.com/panasonic-china-released-this-official-teaser-for-the-may-23-announcement-event/

"Capture True Color" makes me slightly wonder if this might have something to do with Panasonic's OPF "organic" image sensor project even though the rumor describes same sensor as the S5II. For reference:

"The OPF image sensor has four main features because the photoelectric conversion part and charge storage part can be designed completely independently.

1. “Wide dynamic range” can be achieved by independently designing sensitivity and saturation signals.

2. “Global shutter” can be realized because the sensitivity can be controlled simply by changing the voltage to the organic film.

3. “Wavelength selectivity” is high. This is because OPF sensors can be made sensitive to the desired wavelength simply by changing the photoconductive material.

4. " “Accurate color reproducibility” is realized under various light sources because the light absorption rate is high and an extremely thin organic film can be used, color crosstalk is suppressed structurally."

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2023/06/17/howorganic-panasonic-sensors-can-change-imaging-for-the-better/

May 11, 2024 at 06:25 AM
wolfloid
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · "Panasonic will announce an “unexpected” new Lumix camera in May!"

I dare say it will be a vlogger’s camera, as said above. Utterly uninteresting for me.

the man said the next releases are the D-Lux 8 and an interchangeable lens Q!

This is much more interesting, but somehow I am very sceptical. One thing that can be said, though, if it is an interchangeable Q, it will be L mount, possibly with a sensor adapted to also suit M lenses (possibly?). It won’t be an M mount - nothing in that for any manufacturer. It is also unlikely that they will offer a fast compact 28 mm, as that would affect Q sales. It is also very unlikely that they will offer the very sophisticated style of the Q lens with its built in manual override, with its distance scale and macro switching - that will remain the exclusive preserve of the Q, until a competitor develops one (Sigma would be most likely, but they are probably in an agreement not to produce one - note, no 28mm f2/1.8 DG DN lens so far - a great shame!).

May 11, 2024 at 07:39 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.