New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Sigma lens firmware updates

Goodrich
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma lens firmware updates

I see that my Leica L-mount lenses seem to get fairly regular firmware updates (eg, to accommodate the SL3). I can't seem any such updates for the 45mm f2.8 or 24mm f3.5, for example.

Is the reduced cost that we are paying for Sigma lenses reflected in the fact that their firmware doesn't keep up.

Apr 19, 2024 at 05:19 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma lens firmware updates

Latest firmware is here:

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/support/firmware/lenses/?mount=all

However, I really haven't needed to do anything. All my Sigma L mount lenses ( i have 5 or 6 of them) just worked on my SL3. What exactly do you think needs upgrading?

Gordon

Apr 19, 2024 at 05:26 PM
Goodrich
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma lens firmware updates

Yes, not much action there for a couple of years.

I donít know what, if anything, needs updated, but note that my Leica lenses have been getting regular updates, including for the SL3

Apr 20, 2024 at 05:03 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma lens firmware updates

If your Leica lenses have been getting regular updates, it sounds like Leica did not initially release them fully developed/optimized.

Apr 20, 2024 at 12:07 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma lens firmware updates

Probably harder to make one lens work exactly right on Leica, Panasonic, and Sigma. The Sony version just has to work right on a Sony camera.

Apr 20, 2024 at 07:10 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma lens firmware updates

Desmolicious wrote:
If your Leica lenses have been getting regular updates, it sounds like Leica did not initially release them fully developed/optimized.

Not really. Leica lenses like most modern lenses rely on a combination of optical and software corrections. Leica lenses get new data when a new camera or major firmware is released to make sure the lens has the optimal corrections for each camera depending on which firmware it runs. Most mirrorless manufacturers offer updates like this, especially when a new camera is released.

Sigma doesn't have many cameras and the FP is years old. So, no updates for new cameras or lenses.

Gordon

Apr 20, 2024 at 09:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

flash
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma lens firmware updates

tsdevine wrote:
Probably harder to make one lens work exactly right on Leica, Panasonic, and Sigma. The Sony version just has to work right on a Sony camera.

Most of the DGDN *i* primes focus very very fast on the new SL3.

L mount manufacturers all pool lens corrections data. They're not reverse engineering.

Gordon

Apr 20, 2024 at 09:50 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma lens firmware updates

That's awesome that all 3 manufacturers 100% implement the agreed specs with absolutely no variance in implementation. I guess it is a little strange than that Sigma has had to do any firmware updates then....being part of the L Alliance.

Impressive.

I wouldn't expect any members of the L Alliance to have to do any reverse engineering, and that wasn't what I was implying.

flash wrote:
Most of the DGDN *i* primes focus very very fast on the new SL3.

L mount manufacturers all pool lens corrections data. They're not reverse engineering.

Gordon

Apr 20, 2024 at 10:05 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma lens firmware updates

tsdevine wrote:
That's awesome that all 3 manufacturers 100% implement the agreed specs with absolutely no variance in implementation. I guess it is a little strange than that Sigma has had to do any firmware updates then....being part of the L Alliance.

Impressive.

I wouldn't expect any members of the L Alliance to have to do any reverse engineering, and that wasn't what I was implying.

There can be differences. Just like there are on m43. I'm not sure whether there's any implementation of dual IS in the L mount. That's one area where an Olympus lens may not be as feature rich as a Panasonic lens on a Panasonic body in m43. I'd have to research this as for L mount I only have one Panasonic lens with OIS. I'm not sure if there's any dual IS going on with an S5II or in L mount generally. TC compatibility was a thing for a bit but now they all work on each others lenses.

But for lens correction data and focusing they are the same across brands. Expected as Leica and Panasonic co-engineer their bodies technology as well as Leica sharing lens designs with both Sigma and Panasonic. The 14-24 f2.8 and 100-400 are available from both Sigma and Leica and are made in Japan in the same factory. The 35 and 50 (non APO) Summicrons have the same design in Panasonic and Leica but they're made in different places.

So, lots of sharing in L mount.

Gordon

Apr 21, 2024 at 01:00 AM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma lens firmware updates

Wouldn't disagree with anything you said, but I was replying to the OP as to why there might be more lens firmware releases for L mount Sigma lenses than for Sony E mount. No matter how much is shared between manufacturers, there might be a little more tweaking of lens firmware due to the diversity of cameras that take L mount lenses.

His hypothesis was that Sigma wasn't keeping up with firmware updates for Sony, I was just proposing a different hypothesis.

flash wrote:
There can be differences. Just like there are on m43. I'm not sure whether there's any implementation of dual IS in the L mount. That's one area where an Olympus lens may not be as feature rich as a Panasonic lens on a Panasonic body in m43. I'd have to research this as for L mount I only have one Panasonic lens with OIS. I'm not sure if there's any dual IS going on with an S5II or in L mount generally. TC compatibility was a thing for a bit but now they all work on each others lenses.

But for
...Show more

Apr 21, 2024 at 06:19 AM
Goodrich
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma lens firmware updates

I was actually comparing Leica lens firmware updates with updates from other l-mount lenses such as those from Sigma.

Apr 21, 2024 at 08:09 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.