New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

hard drives advice

hughleyj

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · hard drives advice

I have a 4TB SSD and have been using a generic Amazon enclosure to cart it around with me. I always thought the orange LaCie drives were pretty cool - but of course LaCie only sells them with a drive. Anybody found anything decently sturdy out there for their own drives that can stand the demands of travel?

Apr 18, 2024 at 01:25 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · hard drives advice

Samsung T7/T9 fits that bill for me. Keep the cable disconnected while packed so you're not putting stress on the USB port. Not sure what else you'd need unless you're using it as a hammer.

Apr 18, 2024 at 01:43 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · hard drives advice

I've used a Samsung T5 (500 GB) since 2017. I can transfer files to it through a card reader on my phone (via OTG cable) or through a notebook computer. I use it daily in my office. If I still travelled much, I'd be on a T9.

Apr 18, 2024 at 03:02 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · hard drives advice

hughleyj wrote:
I have a 4TB SSD and have been using a generic Amazon enclosure to cart it around with me. I always thought the orange LaCie drives were pretty cool - but of course LaCie only sells them with a drive. Anybody found anything decently sturdy out there for their own drives that can stand the demands of travel?

Is that an older 2.5" SATA SSD, or an NVME SSD stick? If the former, you don't even need to put it in an enclosure because it's already enclosing the NAND chips. An NVME can go in any decent aluminum style enclosure to help dissipate heat during more intense use. I just use a 'cheap' Sabrent USB-C 10Gbps $30 tool-less enclosure that's barely larger than the NVME stick, but you could look at something faster from the likes of Acasis with TB throughput. Unless you really need something waterproof, a 'ruggedized' case for an SSD is overkill, IMO.

Apr 18, 2024 at 03:15 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · hard drives advice

I have Sandisk Extreme, Samsung T7 Shield, and various Samsung NVMe drives in various aluminum enclosures, and they all seem pretty bomb proof to me so I wouldn't worry too much about it. We're long past the days of spinners that you need to baby when travelling.

SSDs are by their very nature pretty shock proof, and the all-in-one drives like the T7 are water and dust proof, too, which give's them one advantage over just using your own drive with a third-party enclosure. However, the BYO enclosure route, while not water proof, does give you peace of mind that you can swap out the drive if the enclosure's controller dies, which they can sometimes do (I had a Sabrent enclosure die on me a few years back). Third-party enclosures can also be a lot faster than any all-in-one drive options available.

FYI, my favorite, if expensive, enclosure for an NVMe drive is the OWC Envoy Express because unlike most cheaper options out there it's a true Thunderbolt enclosure (as opposed to USB 3.2/4.0), which has some advantages.

Apr 24, 2024 at 06:16 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.