New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Selling Leica Gear

Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Selling Leica Gear

I am considering selling some of my Leica lenses and wondering what are my options. I tried to sell my 21 SEM, 28 cron Asph (version 1), 50 lux Asph (version 1), and 90 Elmarit-M here on the buy and sell board and got no real interest. These are all really good lenses. In some ways I am happy they didn't sell. These 4 lenses make a very nice set, but I wanted to try an all Voigtlander 21 (the f/1.4 Asph is a lovely lens); 35 (I think the 35 f/2 APO might be a lens I really like), and 75 (I do like the 75 f/1.5 quite a bit) and although the 21 and 35 are bigger than I might like that 3 lens kit is smaller than the Leica 4 lens kit.

Anyway, any advice on where besides the buy and sell board here, that I might sell the Leica lenses as I don't seem to have had any luck here.

Oh, and it is not that no lenses sell here. I did sell my 35 lux Asph FLE (version 1), a Zeiss ZM 85 f/4, and a Voigtlander 90 f/2.8 APO, which were also redundant with the kit I was moving toward, but I didn't seem to have any interest in my Leica lenses (except the 35 lux Asph) despite aggressive pricing.

Edited on Apr 18, 2024 at 12:02 PM · View previous versions

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:00 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Selling Leica Gear

At the moment there seems to be a lot of gear on the B&S really well priced (IMO) that has been sitting for a while. I would even call it a glut of gear.

Hate to say this, but you may want to look into ebay - you can set your minimum required price (to account for their cut) and see what happens with a much larger audience. I have sold there before w no issues when I couldn't get any interest on FM.

Or there are places like KEH etc who will give you about 2/3 of your private sale price, more or less.

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:07 AM
goodbokeh
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Selling Leica Gear

Another option to KEH is Leica Miami who say they will buy Leica equipment at 70% of used market price. For various reasons I think the used market is soft right now.
I'd keep your Leica M glass, they will hold their value in the long run and I don't think look redundant to to your Voigtlander plans. Purchase the Voigtlander lenses as your priorities and budget allow. But that advice comes from a guy that has four 50mm M (2 Leica & 2 Voigtlander) and two 35mm Leica M lenses. ;-)

Edited on Apr 19, 2024 at 10:45 AM · View previous versions

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:45 AM
gordec
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Selling Leica Gear

FM is generally the easiest place to sell though priced very aggressively compared to other places. I put up M11, 24 Elmar, 35 FLE and 90 Elmarit yesterday. All, except 35 FLE, have sold. 35 FLE is basically pending. I do price kind of competitively but not super low. What condition are those gears you can't sell? Mine is all 9+ with box and everything. That helps a lot.

KEH, MPB just rip you off. They price like 20%-30% lower than what you can get here.

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:42 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Selling Leica Gear

gordec wrote:
KEH, MPB just rip you off. They price like 20%-30% lower than what you can get here.

To be fair, they are not ripping you off. They are resellers with employees, building costs etc and have to make a profit.
One uses them for convenience, not to get the best price.

Apr 18, 2024 at 01:00 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Selling Leica Gear

KEH and the like are pretty good options when you don't have minty gear and don't want to deal with buyers nitpicking over hairline coating scratches, etc. Done and gone so you can move on. Sure, there is a cost for that convenience. Leica Miami sounds like an interesting option. Can you send them photos of the gear and get an online quote?

Apr 18, 2024 at 01:16 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Selling Leica Gear

gordec wrote:
FM is generally the easiest place to sell though priced very aggressively compared to other places. I put up M11, 24 Elmar, 35 FLE and 90 Elmarit yesterday. All, except 35 FLE, have sold. 35 FLE is basically pending. I do price kind of competitively but not super low. What condition are those gears you can't sell? Mine is all 9+ with box and everything. That helps a lot.

I listed all of mine a 9 and they are in good shape. All had the original caps, the Leica hoods, the leather cases, and all except the 90 Elmarit-M had the box as well.

Apr 18, 2024 at 01:31 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Selling Leica Gear

Steve Spencer wrote:
I am considering selling some of my Leica lenses and wondering what are my options. I tried to sell my 21 SEM, 28 cron Asph (version 1), 50 lux Asph (version 1), and 90 Elmarit-M here on the buy and sell board and got no real interest. These are all really good lenses. In some ways I am happy they didn't sell. These 4 lenses make a very nice set, but I wanted to try an all Voigtlander 21 (the f/1.4 Asph is a lovely lens); 35 (I think the 35 f/2 APO might be a lens I really
...Show more

Short answer why: they are less in demand now than they were a couple years ago mostly due to other competitive lenses gaining more interest in the same focal length range. There is the CV 21/1.4, CV 28/2.0 Vers. II or even at f/1.5, CV 50/1.2 or CV 50/2 APO for much less money and delivering a high quality. Your lenses are excellent, but they are waiting for a Leica-brand based buyer to jump in which might take a bit longer time.

Apr 18, 2024 at 01:48 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Selling Leica Gear

If you're going to go with a retailer, I'd start with a Leica store. I used to deal with the one in NoCA (Walnut Creek) and they were solid, but it's been years since I've done any business with them. My guy usually works with the Miami store and they gave us a great deal when we upgraded his 007 to the S3 and his four lenses to the CS versions.

Apr 18, 2024 at 02:57 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Selling Leica Gear

rscheffler wrote:
KEH and the like are pretty good options when you don't have minty gear and don't want to deal with buyers nitpicking over hairline coating scratches, etc. Done and gone so you can move on. Sure, there is a cost for that convenience. Leica Miami sounds like an interesting option. Can you send them photos of the gear and get an online quote?

I did contact Leica Miami, and I was able to just fill in a simple form and send pictures and I think I will get a quote. I will update this thread with more information as I get it from them.

Apr 18, 2024 at 04:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RexGig0
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Selling Leica Gear

Scattered thoughts:

Tax-filing time can be a difficult time for some of us to buy lenses. (We have no significant write-offs, so, we pay, every April.) Folks anticipating a good tax return would have filed much earlier, and may have received their money quite some time ago.

Spring time is also when some folks are still paying-off Christmas gifting debt, or the debt incurred during after-Christmas self-gifting.

For a while, seemingly a year or two ago, it seemed that “everybody and their dog” wanted a 21mm SEM, and sellers were back-ordered. Well, the 21mm SEM can often be found in-stock, lately, both new and pre-owned.

Things appearing in my evil-bay feed indicate that the market for Leica lenses has, indeed, softened, in recent months. Of course, some of the lenses listed as “buy-it-now” on the evil bay are probably listed too high, but, even so, fewer buyers are paying what is being asked.

For a specific, on-topic reference: There is an evil-bay auction, open for bids, right now, for a 21mm SEM, starting at $1900, with no bids, yet. (Of course, experienced bidders will not bid early.)

On the other hand, I noticed that Leica Store Miami seems to be a bit low, in their pre-owned M lens inventory. It may be a good time to shoot them an e-mail, or call.

Apr 18, 2024 at 04:08 PM
gordec
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Selling Leica Gear

Steve Spencer wrote:
I am considering selling some of my Leica lenses and wondering what are my options. I tried to sell my 21 SEM, 28 cron Asph (version 1), 50 lux Asph (version 1), and 90 Elmarit-M here on the buy and sell board and got no real interest. These are all really good lenses. In some ways I am happy they didn't sell. These 4 lenses make a very nice set, but I wanted to try an all Voigtlander 21 (the f/1.4 Asph is a lovely lens); 35 (I think the 35 f/2 APO might be a lens I really
...Show more

Steve,

I looked at some of your most recent listings. It's possible how you are listing them. For example this one, https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1853697/0#16521437. Your listing title says Leica M lenses which includes 21 SEM. When I searched "Super Elmar" or "Leica 21mm", it doesn't pop up. It may not pop up for those who has it as their Watchlist. You need to list it in the title of the listing for it to be searchable. I would include the lenses individually in the title. That SEM should sell from $1800-$1900 easy. $1700 is a bargain.

Also maybe improve the photos a little. I'm not saying my picture are great, but usually cleaner the listing the photos, more confidence from buyer. Here is my recently listing everything sold within 1 day. I took all the pictures with Q3 and took time to make them look nice. https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1854651/0#16526090

Apr 18, 2024 at 05:12 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Selling Leica Gear

gordec wrote:
Steve,

I looked at some of your most recent listings. It's possible how you are listing them. For example this one, https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1853697/0#16521437. Your listing title says Leica M lenses which includes 21 SEM. When I searched "Super Elmar" or "Leica 21mm", it doesn't pop up. It may not pop up for those who has it as their Watchlist. You need to list it in the title of the listing for it to be searchable. I would include the lenses individually in the title. That SEM should sell from $1800-$1900 easy. $1700 is a bargain.

Also maybe improve the photos a little.
...Show more

Thanks for the advice. I just took the pictures with a cell phone, so did not try to make them look nice. I certainly could have done better there. I also should have listed the names of the lenses in the title and not just have put Leica M lenses. I appreciate you taking the time to suggest how my ads could have been improved.

Apr 18, 2024 at 05:55 PM
coralnut
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Selling Leica Gear

Desmolicious wrote:
To be fair, they are not ripping you off. They are resellers with employees, building costs etc and have to make a profit.
One uses them for convenience, not to get the best price.

I'm not a Leica owner so I can't offer any brand specific advice, but being a Nikon lens collector I have seen F-mount lenses fall precipitously in price ever since the advent of Z-mount. the result is that I haven't sold any lenses, primarily because I'm a lens hoarder, and secondarily because the prices have fallen through the floor on F-mount gear.

I can see why anyone would be disappointed with the prices that the major players offer, as they are far lower than what you would ever be able to get in a private sale.

The one comparison that I can make that might be helpful is in the price that the major resellers offer on "platinum" level guitars. A major reseller like Guitar Center typically offers a seller only 60% of the price that they plan to sell the guitar for. Even the most desirable instruments are going to sell at a significant discount to new items, and 60% of the price that they plan to sell the instrument for seems like a slap in the face to someone who is selling. But the reality is that the premier guitar market is seriously depressed for many reasons. Prices were high during Covid when people were staying at home and were willing to buy themselves expensive presents to pass the time when the world was in isolation. Now that that is over, the market has become very soft, because there is a glut of instruments for sale. Add on the problems that people are suffering due to inflation and peoples' buying power has become constrained. That results in a very soft market.

If I were considering selling a premier grade guitar, I would feel insulted by the prices that the major resellers are offering now. Hopefully if we get a soft landing things will change. But until that happens I think we're resigned to suffering through a soft market.

Is the 60% of anticipated resale price a rip off? I don't think so. Like Huss says, the resellers have fixed expenses that they have to incur to keep the doors open. Another problem is that they have to put a lot of capital into purchasing expensive items that may not sell quickly, and there is risk for them when they do that.

GLWTS.

Apr 18, 2024 at 09:35 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Selling Leica Gear

I sold a number of lenses here on FM recently. But a couple of my best lenses didn't sell. Since history says that I will likely upgrade to the M12 when it becomes available I have put those and my M10-P in the safe to trade in then. I will probably do as well that way as selling into a weak market.

In the meantime if an opportunity arises to sell something at a reasonable price I can do that.

We will see how that works out.

Apr 18, 2024 at 09:50 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Selling Leica Gear

gordec wrote:
Steve,

Also maybe improve the photos a little.
...Show more

Indeed your photos are better, clearer, but why after the equipment sold did the prices change to $1.00, whereas in Steve's listing the listing prices are still shown for sold items? It makes researching asking/selling prices more annoying to have to dig through the post's edit history.

coralnut wrote:
The one comparison that I can make that might be helpful is in the price that the major resellers offer on "platinum" level guitars. A major reseller like Guitar Center typically offers a seller only 60% of the price that they plan to sell the guitar for. Even the most desirable instruments are going to sell at a significant discount to new items, and 60% of the price that they plan to sell the instrument for seems like a slap in the face to someone who is selling. But the reality is that the premier guitar market is seriously depressed
...Show more

Solution: create a legitimate side gig as a professional musician or photographer and write off the gear against income. When it comes time to sell, whatever you get for it is what you get. You've already claimed depreciation.

You can probably get away with a few years of claiming losses before the tax authorities will take a closer look...

Of course, get professional accounting advice to better understand how the variable could play out.

Apr 18, 2024 at 10:35 PM
lifeandmylens
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Selling Leica Gear

Hey Steve your prices are actually great and I'm sure you'll have no problem selling them here. My advice is to create a new thread for each of the remaining items and title each accordingly and take a few more pictures of each item.

Apr 19, 2024 at 06:10 AM
311erin
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Selling Leica Gear

More and better pictures and separate listings for each item. As was mentioned previously accurate titles. People are lazy (me) and won’t click and look through “stuff for sale” threads.

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:50 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Selling Leica Gear

A reseller anecdote... I often go to monthly Pasadena City College Flea Market which is a big, excellent, fun and free affair. Highly recommended! There was a big booth selling film cameras - a business not a pop up. All sorts of SLRs, P&S etc, excellent selection.
I got into a nice conversation with the owner (who in passing saw my M7 and said why was I looking for other stuff if I had that!), who told me that a gentleman tried to sell him his M3.
Now this gent wanted full $$ for it - $1500 - and could not understand why he would get a lot less for it selling it to this business.
The owner told me he tried to explain to the man that his business was reselling cameras, and to make a profit he had to offer much less than the asking price as the most he could sell it for was.. $1500. The man balked at this saying 'but it is worth $1500!' and could not understand why he could not get that selling it to a shop...

Anyway, if you ever are in Pasadena, CA on the first Sunday of the month, check it out! Excellent people watching too.

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:31 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Selling Leica Gear

Desmolicious wrote:
A reseller anecdote... I often go to monthly Pasadena City College Flea Market which is a big, excellent, fun and free affair. Highly recommended! There was a big booth selling film cameras - a business not a pop up. All sorts of SLRs, P&S etc, excellent selection.
I got into a nice conversation with the owner (who in passing saw my M7 and said why was I looking for other stuff if I had that!), who told me that a gentleman tried to sell him his M3.
Now this gent wanted full $$ for it - $1500 - and could
...Show more

+1. I have received two quotes in the past for nearly mint photo gear - both were about 30% below current sales value. I didn't further inquire and sold the lenses on Amazon instead for a much better price (even after deduction of fees). Rule of thumb: for convenience resellers are a good option; for best price sell it on your own.

Apr 19, 2024 at 01:09 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.