New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

How is this lighting achieved?

lukeiam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How is this lighting achieved?

I love this forum, but do find it frustrating I can't upload images without paying dues...That said, I can't post any images for this discussion, but cross-posting from my Dpreview, where all the images and question are posted. Thanks!

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/67658203

Apr 18, 2024 at 09:50 AM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How is this lighting achieved?

You can post links to images you've hosted yourself. Food for thought.

I enjoy a good lighting riddle. Best guesses:

1. Ring light probably.
  2. Sun. I don't see any fill.
  3. Maybe a big light on a narrow reflector emulating low sun
  4. Hard to say. Could be photoshop. Could be 20 small strobes bouncing in corners.
  5. Sun.

Apr 19, 2024 at 04:21 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How is this lighting achieved?

Ah these are fun. Here's my guesses, but there's always more than one way to do the same thing.

The first shot of folks looking down, based on the highlight on the left side of their faces, I'm guessing that's sunlight plus a white or silver reflector panel below talent to bounce some light into their faces. It's hard to tell from the catchlight, it looks like there is a dark spot in the middle of the catchlight, which could mean a ring light but I think it's more likely just a person's head surrounded by a reflector

Sunlight for 2 and 5. 3 feels like a small softbox or reflector with a gel on it, placed pretty low on the horizon to mimic setting sun. It kind of looks like the shadow have some blue in them.

The 4th image of the man on the bed looks like a small softbox placed behind talent, bouncing off of the paper panel in front of him. It could just be a small window too, with the light coming indirectly (either because it's overcast or around high noon).

Apr 23, 2024 at 09:57 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.