New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Canon Battery Performance: LP-E6NH - 2 out of 3 is bad

jcmedeiros
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Battery Performance: LP-E6NH - 2 out of 3 is bad

I have owned a Canon R5 for a couple years now. It has a grip and I have four LP-E6NH batteries which I rotate during use. Quite frankly, I'd characterize my use of this system as very light. When my batteries in Menu/Set Up 6 - Battery Performance all four show two out of three recharge performance.

Now I understand there were a lot of counterfeit batteries sold on eBay and Amazon which never met the 3 of 3 performance standard. I bought three of mine from BH Photo, so I'm confident they are legitimate. I'm very disappointed in the durability of these batteries. I own a couple 1Dx bodies and two out of the three LP-E4H I use are still full performance. All of these batteries are all over ten years old and I have used them a whole lot more - hundreds of thousands of images.

I'm wondering what your user experience has been with LP-E6NH batteries. I'm feeling scammed.

J

Apr 17, 2024 at 07:44 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Battery Performance: LP-E6NH - 2 out of 3 is bad

It's my understanding that only fresh new batteries or ones that have not been used and recharged much will show a 3 bar performance. From what I've read, the 2 bar level is somewhat normal and should stay there for a very long time after many recharge cycles.
Mirrorless cameras are power hogs no matter what brand. Just the nature of the beast unfortunately.

Apr 17, 2024 at 08:06 AM
jcmedeiros
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Battery Performance: LP-E6NH - 2 out of 3 is bad

lighthound wrote:
It's my understanding that only fresh new batteries or ones that have not been used and recharged much will show a 3 bar performance. From what I've read, the 2 bar level is somewhat normal and should stay there for a very long time after many recharge cycles.
Mirrorless cameras are power hogs no matter what brand. Just the nature of the beast unfortunately.

With the availability of H+ being dependent on >60% battery power level, it is disappointing they fall off so rapidly.

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:12 AM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Battery Performance: LP-E6NH - 2 out of 3 is bad

The LP-E6N that came with my 5D3 showed "poor" recharge performance for most of its life, but still outperformed many 3rd party batteries, so I wouldn't read too much into that gauge.

My LP-E6NH batteries from 2020-2021 are showing 2/3 bars, but still provide plenty of power and have never shut the camera down at 30% charge the way 3rd party batteries have done. The only thing I've noticed lately is that the charge state drops in storage more than it used to. A fully charged battery might read 85% after a few weeks in the drawer.

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mike_5D
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Battery Performance: LP-E6NH - 2 out of 3 is bad

jcmedeiros wrote:
With the availability of H+ being dependent on >60% battery power level, it is disappointing they fall off so rapidly.

I know the manual says that, but it's really not true.

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:23 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Battery Performance: LP-E6NH - 2 out of 3 is bad

The 2-bar reading on my LP-E6NH that came with my R6 MK II hasn't made much difference in performance for me over my newer 3-bar battery. Video record times are about the same. Seems to be a fairly useless gauge of battery performance.

Apr 17, 2024 at 12:36 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon Battery Performance: LP-E6NH - 2 out of 3 is bad

lighthound wrote:

jcmedeiros wrote:

Mike_5D wrote:
I know the manual says that, but it's really not true.

IME it's more in the 40-45% range with actual Canon batteries and in the 75% range with aftermarket ones. I transitioned from 1DX series cameras to the R6II in late 2022 and so far the three Canon batteries I have from new are still three bars. The LPE6NH that came with a used R6 is now at two bars but haven't really noticed any performance difference. The multiple Neewer batteries I use to supplement the Canon ones on busy days are also doing well, and will operate the camera to below 10% capacity, but I usually swap out well before that (both Canon and Neewer models).

FWIW, I had a three-bar LPE19 (1DX series) battery suddenly become unresponsive to recharging - the charger's LEDs would flash rapidly, IIRC. Sent it to CPS and they couldn't recover it (not sure if they tried, or if they even have any recovery options available that we don't). That one was in the 5 years range. My point is that even at three bars there's no guarantee that a battery won't fail.

Apr 17, 2024 at 12:43 PM
jcmedeiros
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon Battery Performance: LP-E6NH - 2 out of 3 is bad

Thanks for all the inputs. My concerns were strictly based on the H+ availability, which is dependent on the batter power level. I haven't done any sort of testing since I don't have any batteries which are at full performance.

Regards,
J

Apr 29, 2024 at 11:04 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.