New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Transporting Gear to Iceland

akriegsfeld
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Transporting Gear to Iceland

Hi Everyone,

Going to Iceland in July with Lindblad Expeditions. I'll be bringing 2 R5 bodies.
Lenses will be RF 100-500, RF 70-200 F4, RF 24-105 F4.

Any additions to equipment I should bring?

What would you use to transport the gear on the plane, and while carrying equipment while on land exploring.

Thanks for your opinions.

Alan

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:16 PM
MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Transporting Gear to Iceland

akriegsfeld wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Going to Iceland in July with Lindblad Expeditions. I'll be bringing 2 R5 bodies.
Lenses will be RF 100-500, RF 70-200 F4, RF 24-105 F4.

Any additions to equipment I should bring?

What would you use to transport the gear on the plane, and while carrying equipment while on land exploring.

Thanks for your opinions.

Alan

Are you flying Iceland Air? They have some pretty stringent requirements for carry-on. From what I have read on FM about others who have flown with Iceland Air they enforce those required dimensions and weight.

Apr 16, 2024 at 06:03 PM
akriegsfeld
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Transporting Gear to Iceland

Yes I will be flying Iceland Airlines

Apr 17, 2024 at 06:20 AM
mike reid
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Transporting Gear to Iceland

Pack and rolling duffel bag for me. And yes they are very careful with measuring your bags.

I'm heading over in August for trip #7

This is what I took last year:

I ended up taking only one tripod. Cameras were GFX100s and Sony a7r2 with Mavic 3 Pro drone. The pack is a ZPacks 50l dyneema pack weighting about a pound. I put gear and lens cases in it.

Apr 17, 2024 at 01:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

VelvetVoyage

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Transporting Gear to Iceland

If you're planning on doing a lot of shooting, make sure to pack spare batteries and memory cards. Your camera bodies and lenses may be covered, but these essentials are worth considering. Additionally, don't forget about bringing along a sturdy tripod for capturing epic landscapes and long exposures - it'll definitely come in handy!

When traveling with your gear, a durable camera backpack with padded compartments is essential. It's ideal for both plane rides and exploring on land. Look for one that offers good back support to ensure comfort during long hikes. And don't forget to bring a weatherproof cover to protect against Iceland's unpredictable weather!

Happy shooting and safe travels!

Apr 17, 2024 at 07:52 PM
dpm321

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Transporting Gear to Iceland

If you’re like most people you might want to consider a wider lens. On my first trip 70% of my shots were wider than 35mm (FF equivalent).

Apr 18, 2024 at 08:49 AM
grantgoodes

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Transporting Gear to Iceland

Agree with the comments above that wide-angle lenses are essential for Iceland. My Wife & I have been there 5-6 times going back to the 90's, including a 25th Anniversary re-wedding ceremony in an ice-cave in the Langjökull glacier, and over those trips my lens selection has refined down to: 18mm/2.8, 28mm/1.4, 180mm/2.8 (I don't own any zooms). Most of my shots end up on the 28mm/1.4 (mainly landscapes, but also including portraits, interiors, and street photography), but sometimes you really need the super-wide. If I owned something even wider, there were times when that might have been useful, so perhaps a super-wide zoom could replace the 18mm/2.8.

Apr 18, 2024 at 09:18 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.