New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Looking to get back into photography

Blackwater

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking to get back into photography

Hey everyone. I'm looking to get back into photography as a hobby. I was doing it for a few years shooting hockey. All I've ever used was Canon and their L series lens. I'm now branching out and looking at different cameras. I had shot with a Canon R5 for a brief time also and I'm looking at that camera again also but thought I would look and see what Nikon had and ran across the Z8. Has anyone used both that can tell me which one they like better? Also, when looking at lens for Nikon I'm a bit confused as to what lens will work with the Z8. I've got around $5K to spend total. Will mostly be doing landscape/nature, some astro and vehicle photography. The holy trinity for Canon was the 15/16-35, 24-70 and 70-200.

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:12 PM
Vinnie_VdB
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking to get back into photography

Plenty of praises for the Z8 for all kind of action.
I find the 24-70mm f/4 a gem of a lens and very affordable, plenty available on the 2nd hand market.

When it comes to the 70-200mm range do you have the option for the full Nikon made 2.8 S lens but a Tamron made, yet Nikon labelled, 70-180mm f/2.8 is a very worthy alternative.

Looking for a wide angle is there the 14-30mm f/4 lens but depending on the available light might this lens be a bit too slow. You can opt for one of the f/1.8 primes such as the 20-24 or 35mm.

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:33 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking to get back into photography

Literally any Nikon lens ever made will work with the Z8!

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:38 PM
ivancook

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking to get back into photography

I had an R5 and switched to Z8. I prefer the Z8, but honestly they are VERY close in terms of performance. I like the general ergonomics and interface better on the Nikon. Nikon has an edge for video. For stills, the R5 and Z8 AF is very close. If anything, the R5 acquires a bit better and Z8 tracks a bit better. The lens options are where you will see the greatest difference, IMO. They will both have the trinity and similar staples, but Nikon is dominating the wildlife market with their tele primes. Nikon also has more options since the Z mount is open to third parties.

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:41 PM
Blackwater

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking to get back into photography

ivancook wrote:
I had an R5 and switched to Z8. I prefer the Z8, but honestly they are VERY close in terms of performance. I like the general ergonomics and interface better on the Nikon. Nikon has an edge for video. For stills, the R5 and Z8 AF is very close. If anything, the R5 acquires a bit better and Z8 tracks a bit better. The lens options are where you will see the greatest difference, IMO. They will both have the trinity and similar staples, but Nikon is dominating the wildlife market with their tele primes. Nikon also has more options
...Show more

Thank you, this is what I was looking for. I realize the Z8 was built in 2023 so its a little more up to date but I've always shot with Canon but decided if I was going to jump back in then I should look at other manufacturers also. How are the Z8's with the older lens? I don't think I'll be able to pickup a Z8 and more then 1 Z mount lens for the $5k budget that I have now.

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:45 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking to get back into photography

F lenses work better with the Z8 than they did on F cameras so no worries there.

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:53 PM
ivancook

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking to get back into photography

Blackwater wrote:
Thank you, this is what I was looking for. I realize the Z8 was built in 2023 so its a little more up to date but I've always shot with Canon but decided if I was going to jump back in then I should look at other manufacturers also. How are the Z8's with the older lens? I don't think I'll be able to pickup a Z8 and more then 1 Z mount lens for the $5k budget that I have now.

I haven't used any older lenses, but I'm sure others can chime in here on the performance. One thing about Nikon that's very refreshing coming from Canon is how they continue to update the camera features over time with firmware, not just bug fixes but major new features and enhancements. Happy to answer any specific questions you might have, but I'll also say definitely don't be afraid of used lenses. You can find some great deals on gently used stuff (the buy/sell group here is great) from time to time. It also might be worth renting a Z8 for a few days to make sure you get along with the ergonomics. I know the store nearest me will apply the cost of rental toward purchase of the same gear within 2 weeks.

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:55 PM
MattStevens

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking to get back into photography

I'll suggest the Z7ii over the Z8 for hobbiest use... It's currently going for ~$2500 on B&H. That will leave you about $2500 for lenses. Same sensor/image quality. Smaller body... pro quality all the way around.

Apr 16, 2024 at 01:42 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking to get back into photography

MattStevens wrote:
I'll suggest the Z7ii over the Z8 for hobbiest use... It's currently going for ~$2500 on B&H. That will leave you about $2500 for lenses. Same sensor/image quality. Smaller body... pro quality all the way around.

Same IQ, yes. Same sensor, NO. Vastly different capabilities.

You can get a very lightly used Z8 for $3000 these days, or $3200 for a refurb.

Apr 16, 2024 at 01:47 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking to get back into photography

Vinnie_VdB wrote:
Plenty of praises for the Z8 for all kind of action.
I find the 24-70mm f/4 a gem of a lens and very affordable, plenty available on the 2nd hand market.

When it comes to the 70-200mm range do you have the option for the full Nikon made 2.8 S lens but a Tamron made, yet Nikon labelled, 70-180mm f/2.8 is a very worthy alternative.

Looking for a wide angle is there the 14-30mm f/4 lens but depending on the available light might this lens be a bit too slow. You can opt for one of the f/1.8 primes such as
...Show more

i use the 14-30/4 it works well with "available" light. i rarely work with shallow DOF lenses unless required. i do shoot in highly varied situations.

i just shot this a few minutes ago. the image below has been reduced to a 3MB JPG from a 33MB compressed to a 153MB DNG. its rather amazing what you can do in under 5 min with DXOLab and PScc
the output of a Z8 and Z9 are very similar.
yes i brightened up a little

imagine whatr you can do if/when you're really trying

i run the 13-40/4, 24-120/4, 70-200/2.8 E FL on a FTZ II 90% of the time

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens    30mm    f/4.0    1/20s    25600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 16, 2024 at 04:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking to get back into photography

Since you seem to have a set budget the Z8 seems to be the right choice. It offers no compromise quality and performance at the lowest cost available today from any brand.

I would recommend that you get your most used lense in native Z mount. Then in order to save money get the adapter and F mount lenses for the next most important lenses. The integrate and perform almost seamlessly with the Z8.

You are on the right path.

Apr 16, 2024 at 05:10 PM
ArizonaImage
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking to get back into photography

Used Z8 and used 1.8 primes. Youíll be happy.

Apr 16, 2024 at 05:33 PM
CKrueger
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking to get back into photography

Check for used lenses here or at a shop like MPB/KEH. You can save quite a bit on some lenses.

Top of the line are the Z 70-200/2.8, 24-70/2.8, and 14-24/2.8. Those will blow your budget.

The cheaper alternatives are the Tamron-designed Z 70-180/2.8, 28-75/2.8, and 17-28/2.8. Those are much more affordable and still very good.

You might also consider the 24-70/4 to save a lot of money. Itís very good, and in ready supply used because itís a kit lens option. The 14-30/4 is another alternativeÖ itís the same price new as the 17-28, but itís a bit older and you might be able to find a bargain priced used one.

For primes all of the 1.8ís are great. The 50 and 85 are exceptional. And if youíre looking at the high-end Z primes, also consider some old F options like the 58/1.4 or 105/1.4. The 105 in particular is probably the best value in high-end portrait primes. Performance is 99% of the new lenses, AF is better than it was on DSLRs, and price is a fraction of its launch price.

Apr 16, 2024 at 07:04 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Looking to get back into photography

RoamingScott wrote:
Literally any Nikon lens ever made will work with the Z8!

And others too! But only the more modern Nikon lenses will AF on a Z body.

Apr 16, 2024 at 10:36 PM
coralnut
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Looking to get back into photography

^ I'll add to the list of caveats.

The comment that F lenses work better on Z than F is a bit misleading. Sure, the Z focusing aids are great, and the F-mount lenses will lock onto an adapter and light will pass through them, but there are significant compatibility issues to be aware of.

will they autofocus?

will they meter?

will they support auto-exposure?

will they support IBIS?

Older F mount lenses use mechanical focus and aperture index metering which are not supported by the Z system. Some lenses will lose AF, some will lose auto metering, some will lose the ability to use shutter priority mode, matrix metering, etc. Getting around this will require developing kludge adaptations like using auto ISO to manage exposure, having to manually input the focal length to enable IBIS, etc.

These things may not be a big deal to someone who knows about them and is willing to work around them, but they could surprise someone who is just getting back into photography. It pays to know the strengths and weaknesses of a system before committing $5,000 to the purchase. When spending that much you don't want any surprises.

Apr 17, 2024 at 06:05 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Looking to get back into photography

ArizonaImage wrote:
Used Z8 and used 1.8 primes. Youíll be happy.

only if you like to change your lenses often.

Apr 17, 2024 at 07:22 AM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Looking to get back into photography

If youíre not getting back into a lot of action shots, Iíll go off the path a bit and throw some dirt in the water. Nikon also makes a Zf retro-styled camera at $2,000. It has the same processing engine as the Z8/Z9, but not all the sports/action features. True, it's a lower resolution camera than the Z7II or Z8, but produces great images. The resolution is about the same as the Nikon DSLR flagships (D4,D5, D6). With the Zf, you would have the funds to buy several Z lenses. I would say the Z7 II, Z6 II or Zf would be more suited to your photographic style than the Z8.

Regarding lenses, I started out with the 24-70mm f/4 S lens, but later replaced it with the 24-120mm f/4 S for more reach. Both are also excellent walk-around lenses. The best zoom for astro is the 14-24mm f/2.8 S, but there is another lens, the Z 17-28mm f/2.8 that comes close for less money. If you want a prime lens, I would suggest the 20mm f/1.8 S for astro and landscape. If you want more reach (telephoto) I would look at the 70-180mm f/2.8 S.

Best of luck with your purchases and getting back into photography!

Apr 17, 2024 at 09:50 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Looking to get back into photography

I also shot with the Canon R5 for a couple of years, and switched over to Nikon with the Z8 and Zf this past summer.

You really can't go wrong with either system....both the R5 and Z8 are phenomenal cameras. I think the R5 does slightly better in the AF department when shooting people in shallow depth of field situations (it's human eye tracking is near flawless), while the Z8 does a bit better in tracking action and wildlife, in my experience. However, both cameras will do an amazing job. I very much liked my R5 files, but the Z8 files are better, with lower noise at base ISO, and to my eye, a bit better color off the bat when processing RAWs, but these can be equalized of course in post.

For what I shoot (a mix of landscape, architecture, people, macro and wildlife, but heavily skewed towards the first two), I generally prefer the Nikon lenses. The 24-120mm f/4 S is a near perfect standard zoom for general purpose landscape and I greatly prefer it to Canon's RF 24-105L. The Canon is a good lens, but it isn't quite as sharp, and it has a real problem with flare, which the Nikon handles near flawlessly. I also prefer my 14-24mm f/2.8 S (though the f/4 ultrawide lenses are very comparable to each other). In the telephoto zoom category, both lens makers make fantastic glass, with either the 70-200/2.8 lenses, or the 100-400(500) lenses. Nikon does have the more budget friendly re-badged Tamron 70-180/2.8 as well, which is also very good, very compact and much cheaper than the 70-200 options.

Long primes, Nikon has a clear advantage. Fast shorter primes, both make amazingly good lenses, though the 50/1.2 on the Nikon side is too big for my tastes (I use the Sony 50mm f/1.2GM adapted to Z mount, and it works like a native lens). Slower shorter primes, Nikon has a clear advantage here, with the 35/1.8, 50/1.8, 85/1.8 and so on being really excellent.

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:30 AM
MattStevens

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Looking to get back into photography

New Z8s are on sale for approx. $3500 at the moment.

May 06, 2024 at 04:58 PM
PHiLiPZ_svk

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Looking to get back into photography

This may be very important too - you can use adapters to use lenses for other systems and Nikonís Z mount is the widest with shortest flange to sensor distance, so adapter for any other system will fit. Canon is quite restrictive in allowing third party lens manufacturers to use the new moint (though slowly improving) too.

Jman13 wrote:
Fast shorter primes, both make amazingly good lenses, though the 50/1.2 on the Nikon side is too big for my tastes (I use the Sony 50mm f/1.2GM adapted to Z mount, and it works like a native lens).

May 06, 2024 at 11:47 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.