FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Landscapey Eclipse

DanielJStein
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Landscapey Eclipse

Don't get me wrong I love the telephoto eclipse shots, I have a ton myself. But, I think the true magic is in the landscape.

The Eclipse passed right over the heart of the Adirondacks. I have been coming to the ADK for the past 6+ years and have quickly fallen in love with everything about this region. I am a 46er and have also completed the GRT Ultra and SL6 Ultra. I could not think of a better place see and photograph the Eclipse. As luck would have it, one of the stasticially most cloudy places in April had some of the best chances at viewing this Eclipse. Everything was beginning to take shape for a fantastic experience.

Unfortuneately just a few weeks prior to the Eclipse, I had a small accident on a mountain bike while out on a ride with my friends. I ended up breaking my wrist on a rock roll about a few miles from the trailhead. Fortunately I was with 3 strong and supportive good friends of mine, and thanks to them I got out quickly and safely. I was also lucky enough to only walk away from the accident with a broken wrist. All things considered I got off easy, especially because I had at first thought there would be no way I would even make it to the Eclipse, especially once I heard I needed surgery and hospitalization.

Because one of my other friends also suffered a minor injury, we were trying to come up with a location at the last minute that was easy to access, had good views, and wasn’t crowded—keep dreaming, right? I also had an insanely ridiculous amount of gear, and with one working on I had to rely on my friends to help me lug it around. Well, as it turns out we hit another stroke of luck. Upon driving back from a popular trailhead in the ADK, we stumbled upon a group of private homes situated with a perfect view of the Great Range. My friends and I jokingly said, “what if we ask these guys to use their backyard” and well, that’s kind of what happened. Naturally my friends chose me to do the talking since the sling on my arm kind of looked convincing.

Somehow it worked, and we got to experience a Total Solar Eclipse in the Adirondacks with 2 new friends and an entire place to ourselves.

Somehow we got our wish, and I could not be happier with how it turned out. On top of that, we witnessed Totality just as it passed over Cascade and Porter, while the Great Range lit up in the distance. For that reason, I have chosen to name this piece “The Great Eclipse.”

The entire Eclipse sequence was captured from start to finish. 3 cameras were used and over 100 images were stacked and combined for this final result to be as detailed as possible. Camera 1 was a Nikon Z7II w/Z 14-24 2.8 S lens and solar filter. It took a 3 image bracket of the entire sequence from start to finish every 30 seconds. Lens was zoomed to 24mm for consistency between the 2 cameras. Camera 2 was a Z7 I w/Z 24mm 1.8 S. It had no filter on and only took images during totality. It took a 9 stop bracket every 10 seconds. It had the exact same composition as camera 1. Finally, I also combined Totality data from a 3rd Z7II w/Z 70-200 2.8S with a tracked 7 stop bracket. This allowed for a little more detail of the Sun.

Edited on Apr 16, 2024 at 06:31 AM · View previous versions

Apr 16, 2024 at 05:09 AM
Jim Dockery
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Landscapey Eclipse

Fantastic work for a beautiful image. Thanks for the back story and tech info. (sorry about the MTB crash - I had a similar incident a year ago and tore my ACL). I hope you are making prints to pay back all your friends - I would think they will be thrilled!

Apr 16, 2024 at 06:06 AM
junglialoh
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Landscapey Eclipse

impressive work to make this beautiful series of eclipse tracking along the solar path.

Apr 16, 2024 at 06:25 AM
DanielJStein
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Landscapey Eclipse

Jim Dockery wrote:
Fantastic work for a beautiful image. Thanks for the back story and tech info. (sorry about the MTB crash - I had a similar incident a year ago and tore my ACL). I hope you are making prints to pay back all your friends - I would think they will be thrilled!

Thank you! Yeah it happens, I hope you are better now as well. I am making a ton of prints lol, and before this incident I changed out the entire exhaust system (cats, resonator, muffler) on my buddy's car which fixed his check engine light, so we are 100% even now

---------------------------------------------

junglialoh wrote:
impressive work to make this beautiful series of eclipse tracking along the solar path.

Thank you!!!

Apr 17, 2024 at 06:17 AM
Ross Martin
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Landscapey Eclipse

Nice work getting out to a landscape location for totality 👍

Apr 25, 2024 at 02:24 PM
DanielJStein
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Landscapey Eclipse

Ross Martin wrote:
Nice work getting out to a landscape location for totality 👍

Thanks Ross!

Apr 27, 2024 at 01:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

wangxin311

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Landscapey Eclipse

Impressive work.

Apr 27, 2024 at 11:50 PM
CDalessandro
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Landscapey Eclipse

Fantastic work! Hope your feeling better.
Carol

Apr 28, 2024 at 08:37 AM
DanielJStein
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Landscapey Eclipse

wangxin311 wrote:
Impressive work.

Thank you!

---------------------------------------------

CDalessandro wrote:
Fantastic work! Hope your feeling better.
Carol

Thanks Carol! Slow process but certainly way better than where I was a month ago. i am happy I got the eclipse regardless.

Apr 28, 2024 at 03:35 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Landscapey Eclipse

Apr 29, 2024 at 06:17 AM
FuriousE

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Landscapey Eclipse

Great story, and the shot makes it worth the effort! Hope you heal quickly!

Apr 29, 2024 at 08:42 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.