Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9              11       end
  

Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

  
 
chiron
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


ilkka_nissila wrote:
While I am happy to see technical advancements, after over 1 million frames over the course of 30 years, I just can't see myself running into artefacts created by flickering LEDs either when using mechanical shutters (focal plane) or fast stacked sensor cameras (Nikon Z8). I know problems occurred back in the day with fast shutter speeds in 100 Hz flickering lighting (and to counter that, one would choose a slower shutter speed), but I don't find it a common problem these days. I don't doubt the results shown by snapsy in his Apr 18, 2024 at 06:17 AM post,
...Show more

I certainly haven't shot as much as you, but I also have had no problems when shooting either a stacked sensor A1 or A9 on silent shutter at moderate or slower shutter speeds or other cameras using mechanical shutters. It clearly can happen that problems occur, especially with special application LEDs like theatrical and stadium lighting. But I have had no problems.

The LED lights with a low CRI index can create unappealing colors in some situations, and for this reason they are gradually disappearing as users object to the ambience they create. Thus, low CRI lights are becoming much less common as LED lights are used more widely and users have become sensitized and educated about the CRI issue. The demand is for high CRI LED lighting, and that is what we are getting in more and more environments. It used to be difficult to know the CRI of LED lighting that one was purchasing, but now it is a specification that is more routinely provided about LED lights on packaging at the point-of-purchase.

I have also found variable shutter and anti-flicker settings not to be a solution to the problem and to be more trouble than they are worth. If using a non-stacked sensor camera under LED lighting, the solution I prefer is to use mechanical shutter.

I think it is unlikely that the successor to the A1, whenever it finally gets here, will be a global shutter because that would restrict mpix. More likely that it will simply have a very high (relatively speaking) sensor readout speed to deal with the LED and rolling shutter issues when using electronic shutter. That will be fine.

Perhaps there will also be progress on making mechanical shutters less audible and less vibration-prone, thus approaching some of the main benefits for many users of electronic silent shutter. This would also obviate the LED problem for many users.



Apr 19, 2024 at 09:09 AM
GMPhotography
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


On my stuff itís in a ballroom with rented stage lighting LED but we can adjust the color temp by a large margin. Which is great


Apr 19, 2024 at 09:48 AM
stuuke
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


A9III is showing up with EDU pricing now at B&H for those with the discount. Grip is still regular price. Of course they're closed until May 1st.


Apr 23, 2024 at 03:04 PM
jhapeman
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


I just spent a day with my A1 and man it made me miss the A9III and how stupidly good the AF is. Funny how time changes things, I remember when I got my A1 back in March 2021 it was mind-blowing how good that AF was compared to anything else out there, but here we are three years later and things have really advanced fast.

We are spoiled to live in a time with such rapid improvements in the technology. The types of photos we can relatively easily take today were the stuff of wild imaginations just 25 years ago--or those with unlimited budgets for custom created systems.



Apr 23, 2024 at 03:22 PM
chez
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


jhapeman wrote:
I just spent a day with my A1 and man it made me miss the A9III and how stupidly good the AF is. Funny how time changes things, I remember when I got my A1 back in March 2021 it was mind-blowing how good that AF was compared to anything else out there, but here we are three years later and things have really advanced fast.

We are spoiled to live in a time with such rapid improvements in the technology. The types of photos we can relatively easily take today were the stuff of wild imaginations just 25 years ago--or
...Show more

Skill surely comes into play somewhere. There have been amazing photos throughout the years and it seems the same members here continually posted beautiful photos through the last 15 years no matter what gear they used.



Apr 23, 2024 at 03:26 PM
jhapeman
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


chez wrote:
Skill surely comes into play somewhere. There have been amazing photos throughout the years and it seems the same members here continually posted beautiful photos through the last 15 years no matter what gear they used.


Absolutely. But give a skilled person better tools and they'll get even better results--or do things that weren't possible before. I wasn't discounting the role skill plays at all.



Apr 23, 2024 at 03:33 PM
aboutthelight
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


I recently got the A9iii. The auto focus on this thing is so good it is scary. Getting action shots with this camera is a non accomplishment it is so good and fast. The skill we have in getting close, choosing the best shooting locations, backgrounds, subjects, lighting conditions and so on is what will make or break the photos. The camera will take care of the rest.


Apr 23, 2024 at 07:18 PM
GMPhotography
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #8 · p.10 #8 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


Skills have nothing to do with your AF losing the tracking when a model turns around the A1 sucks at this and why I sold it for the A7RV which sticks on people like glue. I have the skills to shoot anything, yes im that good and not afraid to say it but my skills have nothing to do with a camera that can't hold the tracking. So this skills talk is Bullshit it has everything to do with the the tracking ability of the tool in your hand. Once you have that than your skills improve with the technology at hand. You got to have the correct tools to accomplish the task. I can shoot a freaking Kodak brownie That is NOT the issue but the ability of the camera to provide the opportunity to be able to nail the focus and more the tracking of a subject that you have no control of. Look im shooting for money this is no game for me. My ability and the camera's abilities and its functions is the road to success. I CANT be out of focus if I am im losing money. It's that simple. I would love to have the A9III and abilities like the A7RV but I only need more MPX from the A9III. Im still shooting the A7RV and going to rent it again. Love that thing but having the global shutter would help me in many different types of shoots. It's the low MPX that is stopping me but I could get around it with a 1.4 so im still shooting 24mpx and not 11mpx in crop mode. Workaround the key to success.

People need to stop being negative on this cam we have been waiting for tech like this for a long time. Go Sony keep innovating.



Apr 23, 2024 at 07:57 PM
j4nu
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #9 · p.10 #9 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


Not super-related, but Sigma has now lenses that support 120fps AF, in AF-S though:
https://www.sigma-global.com/en/support/firmware/s023_60_600_45_63/?mount=sony-e&os=windows



Apr 24, 2024 at 04:43 AM
A74me
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #10 · p.10 #10 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


GMPhotography wrote:
Skills have nothing to do with your AF losing the tracking when a model turns around the A1 sucks at this and why I sold it for the A7RV which sticks on people like glue. I have the skills to shoot anything, yes im that good and not afraid to say it but my skills have nothing to do with a camera that can't hold the tracking. So this skills talk is Bullshit it has everything to do with the the tracking ability of the tool in your hand. Once you have that than your skills improve with the technology
...Show more

this is so far from the truth that the A1 looses tracking if the subject turns around. use the multi full screen AF, the same as i use on my a7iv ,its much better as it forms a multi point shape of af points over the subject not just a square box.



Apr 25, 2024 at 03:21 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Charlie N
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #11 · p.10 #11 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


Itís been a while since i used the A1, but it was near impossible to lose AF on human subjects. Sure itís not as cool as the latest AI stuff, but practically no difference.

Will probably rent the A9iii in a few weeks, it does seem like a fun camera to have, that would also double as a work unit. Despite it being around for a while, i havenít heard of a ton on the stabilization, and if there are limitations.

A74me wrote:
this is so far from the truth that the A1 looses tracking if the subject turns around. use the multi full screen AF, the same as i use on my a7iv ,its much better as it forms a multi point shape of af points over the subject not just a square box.




Apr 25, 2024 at 03:58 AM
j4nu
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #12 · p.10 #12 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


Charlie N wrote:
Itís been a while since i used the A1, but it was near impossible to lose AF on human subjects. Sure itís not as cool as the latest AI stuff, but practically no difference.

Will probably rent the A9iii in a few weeks, it does seem like a fun camera to have, that would also double as a work unit. Despite it being around for a while, i havenít heard of a ton on the stabilization, and if there are limitations.



I think this video (at linked timestamp) shows the difference pretty well:
https://youtu.be/mbyE_Amovq0?t=593



Apr 25, 2024 at 04:08 AM
Viramati
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #13 · p.10 #13 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


I have the A1 and A7r5 and without a doubt the A7r5 (and A9iii) AI tracking is superior but come on the A1 is no slouch. For my photography I do find myself using the A1 much more but the new AI AF is sort od addictive and really impressive. When they release an A1ii I think it will be something else


Apr 25, 2024 at 04:19 AM
A74me
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #14 · p.10 #14 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


j4nu wrote:
I think this video (at linked timestamp) shows the difference pretty well:
https://youtu.be/mbyE_Amovq0?t=593


it certainly does, it shows you that ive never shot a model walking through trees when im shooting a full body portrait. and never will. even though my a7iv would easily hold focus in the same situation.



Apr 25, 2024 at 04:22 AM
j4nu
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #15 · p.10 #15 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


A74me wrote:
it certainly does, it shows you that ive never shot a model walking through trees when im shooting a full body portrait. and never will. even though my a7iv would easily hold focus in the same situation.


Yes, earlier in the video he says that both cameras do just great in most situations. This was just that one specific case where he saw a substantial difference.
Regarding A7IV, I think it shares mostly the same AF algorithms with A1...



Apr 25, 2024 at 04:35 AM
evanhanded
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #16 · p.10 #16 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


stuuke wrote:
A9III is showing up with EDU pricing now at B&H for those with the discount. Grip is still regular price. Of course they're closed until May 1st.


A friend with edu discount at B&H checked for me and didn't see the discount. Is it still in effect? what price are you seeing?



Apr 29, 2024 at 11:43 AM
stuuke
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #17 · p.10 #17 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


evanhanded wrote:
A friend with edu discount at B&H checked for me and didn't see the discount. Is it still in effect? what price are you seeing?


Still showing up for me. $5398.20



Apr 29, 2024 at 01:19 PM
evanhanded
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #18 · p.10 #18 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


stuuke wrote:
Still showing up for me. $5398.20


had my friend recheck and he now sees the $5398 price. Thanks.




Apr 29, 2024 at 07:40 PM
docusync
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #19 · p.10 #19 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


I don't like my A9 III. It delivers way too many keepers, and I even never exceed 30fps. In the past I always had a decent amount of misfocused images with the A1, so it was easy to pick the best one from a sequence. Now it's pretty much impossible - they all are perfectly sharp. I don't know which one to choose and it blows my mind. Why, Sony, why?
I'm seriously thinking of switching to Nikon, so I'd have around ~10% keepers @ 20fps and it will solve all my problems!



Apr 30, 2024 at 12:10 AM
Lifeinpictures
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #20 · p.10 #20 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


The A9III is the logical upgrade from my A7RIV and beloved A7RIII.

Before the A9III was released, I was seriously thinking of the A1, but felt it was too pricey an upgrade, even with a newer faster sensor. I just feel that the stacked sensor isnít enough of an advancement to pony up that much money.

I use the X-H2S with its stacked sensor and Fujifilm simulations instead of the A1.

The A9III with its global shutter is definitely an advancement on sensor technology over any other full frame sensor. I think the 24MP resolution is perfect to balance noise and resolution. I also think the data from a 24MP sensor is more manageable.

I donít consider it a niche camera. For me itís the perfect all in one general purpose camera. The global shutter with incredible auto focus to nail focus with greater accuracy makes it perfect for travel. I will be keeping my A7RIV for landscape photography and selling my A7RIII to purchase one.



Apr 30, 2024 at 01:28 AM
1       2       3              9              11       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9              11       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.