Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6              8              10       11       end
  

Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

  
 
A74me
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


j4nu wrote:
I think the AI-models have better recognition (including eyeAF), but A7s3 and A7IV are rather similar to A1. EyeAF was a hot topic for A7IV as people complained it was not accurate in a lot of times (there were fw upgrades since then to fix the issue).

The area where I'd like to see some improvement is eyeAF accuracy, especially when shooting at an angle. The manufacturers nowadays do not seem to put much effort into making sure it's the iris that is in focus (if there's any obstacle along the way like eyelashes or hair)...

the eye af on my a74 is faultless and always has been, even when my dogs hair is covering the eye. same with humans side on is no problem at all.















Edited on Apr 17, 2024 at 07:21 AM · View previous versions



Apr 17, 2024 at 07:00 AM
GMPhotography
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


Stoffer wrote:
I assume that you need the zoom of the 70-200mm GM II for that runway job, but otherwise there is the new 300mm GM, a killer combo for you with the A9 III.

You need to buy a lottery ticket, Guy!


Yea I need 300mm but I also need 200mm and others so the zoom really is the answer. Issue is I can't move

Yea I need to win the Powerball. I want an Austin Martin too.



Apr 17, 2024 at 07:13 AM
Tony Ross
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


snapsy wrote:
Niche is defined as:

"a specialized segment of the market for a particular kind of product or service."

You don't believe the A9 III meets that description?


The typical implied meaning of "The A9 III is a niche camera" is that it's only good for one thing. That's not the case, in my experience.

I'm currently trying out the A9 III at various kinds of photography to learn what it can do well, and I'm finding it good at many things. The image quality I'm getting is excellent - better than the naysayers would have you believe. They would have you believe that you cannot boost the exposure significantly in post, and you cannot crop your images - both untrue.

I am quite looking forward to the next iteration of global shutter sensors, but I think it may be two or three or four years off. Good thing I have an A9 III to use in the meantime.



Apr 17, 2024 at 07:26 AM
jhapeman
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


j4nu wrote:
I think the AI-models have better recognition (including eyeAF), but A7s3 and A7IV are rather similar to A1. EyeAF was a hot topic for A7IV as people complained it was not accurate in a lot of times (there were fw upgrades since then to fix the issue).

The area where I'd like to see some improvement is eyeAF accuracy, especially when shooting at an angle. The manufacturers nowadays do not seem to put much effort into making sure it's the iris that is in focus (if there's any obstacle along the way like eyelashes or hair)...


I think a lot of people miss where the eye-AF accuracy really shows on a camera like the A1 or A9III. Most cameras today are pretty good at finding the eye and focusing on it--or close to it, as you point out the iris vs. lashes issue. Where cameras like the A1 and now A9III really excel (and I'd put the A7RV in there too, also with the AI chip) is keeping that focus locked on through bursts of shots or continuous movement of the subject. So if you're just doing regular shooting, you often won't notice a difference--but if you are doing bursts of shots while tracking a subject you most definitely will notice a difference in both the total accuracy (% of usable shots) and absolute accuracy (% with the focus dead nailed, not just close).

There's also the issue of how well it handles obstructions as they enter the frame, or alternative subjects. This is where the AI-AF on the newest Sonys can really excel but you have to learn how to burrow through all of the menus and understand how to tweak those settings. Honestly this is an area where Sony could do a lot better both in their written instructions--which can be a bit obtuse at times--and by doing things like producing videos that show you how to set it up for various use cases.

I have owned or do own and use(d) almost every Sony MILC since the A7III and I absolutely disagree with the statement that the A7IV and A7SIII are "better" than the A1. That's categorically not true, and both are definitely worse than the A1 at any tracking. I can't comment on the A7C or A7Cr as I've not used either, but I'm highly skeptical of that claim. For many things the A7RV is better than the A1, but that's not entirely surprising as it has the new AI AF system. That said, after extensive use of one, it just comes short in many other ways--overall AF speed isn't as good and tracking is at best similar and in some cases worse. Throw in the lack of black-out free shooting and the rolling shutter and it's just not a great choice for a lot of action photography, but for more static subjects it is superb.

I do think Sony missed a chance to upgrade the A1 to a Mark II model back at the A9III release and that had to be intentional so the reason why will be interesting. The cynical answer is they wanted to get as many A9III sales in as possible. I'm skeptical on that as the reaction here shows clearly they are not really competing models. The optimistic answer--and the one I am going to hope for--is that they have some things up their sleeve for the A1II. Maybe it will also be a global shutter camera, but with a slower 60fps rate. Or there will be some new updates/changes to the AI focus, which by the time we're likely to see an A1II will now be over two years old. We shall see!



Apr 17, 2024 at 07:35 AM
Tony Ross
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


rico wrote:
First and only global shutter since the CCD era deserves a smart markup it would seem. I don't fault Sony for taking a well-deserved profit. The a9iii is the only camera that interests me although, like Guy, a test rental is more my speed for the moment.


Beware - renting it may tempt you to commit

You will probably be smart to wait for the next global shutter sensor, but it's probably going to be a while.



Apr 17, 2024 at 07:36 AM
jhapeman
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


Tony Ross wrote:
The typical implied meaning of "The A9 III is a niche camera" is that it's only good for one thing. That's not the case, in my experience.

I'm currently trying out the A9 III at various kinds of photography to learn what it can do well, and I'm finding it good at many things. The image quality I'm getting is excellent - better than the naysayers would have you believe. They would have you believe that you cannot boost the exposure significantly in post, and you cannot crop your images - both untrue.

I am quite looking forward to the next
...Show more

I agree 100%, and I've been pleasantly surprised by how well it does overall. I actually feel like it does better on pulling up the shadows than the A1. While you can't crop as much as an A1, I certainly am happy cropped to 4K DCI resolution for almost anything I normally do, like online sharing or small (36x24") prints.



Apr 17, 2024 at 07:47 AM
GMPhotography
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


Well it has the same AF system of the A7RV and that's the best we have seen come from Sony. I had the A1 shot maybe 100 thousand images on the runway bought the A7RV and it kills the A1 on tracking and holding focus even when a face gets turned away. Why I bought the A7RV and I loved the A1 but I have runway models that don't always behave to the best of the AF system. The A7RV kills everything to date and so would the A9III. Remember im selling these shots and out of focus or focus falls off than I don't get sales. Even though the A1 is better at LED with electronic shutter and faster readouts. Plus it has a higher sync speed for flash work.

BTW comment that the high sync speed is solved is completely wrong. Example I have lets say a 600 watt flash unit im outside lets say a model in full sunlight to use HSS you have to REDUCE output to get the higher sync speed which also means you need the light far closer to subject which is NOT always possible or better at all the light style changes when unit is so close to subject. That's not solving the issue of using the full 600 watts of power at a distance and having the ability to shoot at higher camera sync speed to balance the ambient and the flash so you can bring down the ambient light and lets say shoot at F8 and 1/1000 sync speed . Hell with the A9III the ability with high sync speed you can even make the sky black at much higher sync speed. This is a big bonus for wedding shooters and so on. You can shoot a group shot at normal distance with the flash unit and just apply higher sync speed to bring down ambient exposure. Today that is usually 1/250 sync the A1 is 1/400 and even that helps but the A9III can go as high as 1/80000. My opinion HSS stuff is NOT solving the lighting balancing issue, it's a cheat that as far as light quality sucks.

So the A9III is the best in the business of working with high sync speeds.

LED lighting banding. I will use myself here I show up at a hotel convention type shooting the lighting crew is using ALL led lighting and now LED banding is present and its on the models the back stage wall and every LED panel in the room. What do you do. Your screwed. Now really the only cam that can handle LED banding because of two factors is it has a high electronic sensor readout and you can use your electronic shutter that's the A1 and it handles it well. My A7RV doe not have faster readout speeds in electronic shutter and I have moving models. I can't use it. I have to move over to mechanical shutter for starters than I need to use variable shutter to find the right speeds so banding does not show and in most cases that shutter speed is not that high. I even use anti flicker and im not sure it helps or not but its seems to help.

Now the A9III none of this shit happens at all because of the global shutter. No LED banding at all

Now you're all saying well I don't do this stuff . STOP think for a second how many shooters do shoot this stuff.

Im a working Pro I have no control pretty such where my next gig will be and what I am facing and conditions. Would it not be a huge benefit if I had the A9III is my hands. This is not niche this is survival. This cam is far more powerful than most give it credit for. I would love one and it would help me but since I shoot in crop mode with the 70-200 that file now drops to 12mpx so that part is hard. I would have to use the 1.4 tele to keep up the 26mpx. Which I could do.

Pro photography is not shooting pets and such . Folks again go out look at 100 magazines and see what Photography really is


Please take the blinders off there are millions of photographers that shoot such variability in there images and each style needs gear involved to do it. Some of that will come down to this unique unit. Ive done this for a long time and success comes from figuring out how to get it done with workarounds. This A9III solves a lot of that.

As im starting to retire to see this come to market gives me a big smile.



Apr 17, 2024 at 07:57 AM
GMPhotography
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


Now the bad news

We are paying for this new tech and the price puts most out of the buying plan and I totally understand that.

I think the other big issue is paying that much for 24mpx and I understand that also. But you are buying these new feature sets and abilities. For hobbyists this may be a tough purchase but there are still shooters out there that need this stuff and don't over look that either. I would certainly love to have one and I have use for it.



Apr 17, 2024 at 08:14 AM
snapsy
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


Tony Ross wrote:
The typical implied meaning of "The A9 III is a niche camera" is that it's only good for one thing. That's not the case, in my experience.

I'm currently trying out the A9 III at various kinds of photography to learn what it can do well, and I'm finding it good at many things. The image quality I'm getting is excellent - better than the naysayers would have you believe. They would have you believe that you cannot boost the exposure significantly in post, and you cannot crop your images - both untrue.

I am quite looking forward to the next
...Show more

Again it's up to the market to decide that and so far it seems to have said it is a niche camera.



Apr 17, 2024 at 09:06 AM
jhapeman
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


snapsy wrote:
Again it's up to the market to decide that and so far it seems to have said it is a niche camera.


And you have some insight into the sales numbers? I'd say it's no more a niche than something like the A7CR or A7SIII. Both have reasons that they won't have very broad market penetration but do have use cases where they are the best solution.

For the professional market, the A9III is an ideal sports/photojournalism camera, and it also is incredibly good for video (see Gerald Undone's video reviews on this topic). I wouldn't call it niche, it's just not as much of a "Swiss Army knife" camera as the A1 or the Z8, for example.

As others have pointed out the bigger market for this is pros who aren't spending at lot of time hanging out on forums like this, but instead are out there just using the camera.



Apr 17, 2024 at 09:18 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

snapsy
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


jhapeman wrote:
And you have some insight into the sales numbers? I'd say it's no more a niche than something like the A7CR or A7SIII. Both have reasons that they won't have very broad market penetration but do have use cases where they are the best solution.

For the professional market, the A9III is an ideal sports/photojournalism camera, and it also is incredibly good for video (see Gerald Undone's video reviews on this topic). I wouldn't call it niche, it's just not as much of a "Swiss Army knife" camera as the A1 or the Z8, for example.

As others have pointed out
...Show more

I have the same insight I posted earlier in this thread - the lack of much member activity demonstrating ownership and use of the camera, as compared to other recent flagship releases from Sony and others. If a niche site like FM isn't showing much enthusiasm then neither is the market in general.



Apr 17, 2024 at 09:22 AM
jhapeman
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


snapsy wrote:
I have the same insight I posted earlier in this thread - the lack of much member activity demonstrating ownership and use of the camera, as compared to other recent flagship releases from Sony and others. If a niche site like FM isn't showing much enthusiasm then neither is the market in general.


Or...FM isn't really a good reflection of the market. People here think they are, but it's not. It's a small community of people who have self-assembled around some shared interests. We are in no way representative of the broader US market, never mind the global market--and certainly not the professional market, as the vast majority of folks here are amateurs, and skew older. Go hang out elsewhere and you'll see different segments of the market represented.



Apr 17, 2024 at 09:29 AM
tsdevine
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?



And we care because? A tool that serves a purpose doesn't have to be as popular as every other tool. Does a torque wrench have to sell in the same volume as an adjustable wrench? Maybe torque wrenches aren't as popular......hmm...maybe the tool companies shouldn't have made torque wrenches? Should auto mechanics just stick with adjustable wrenches and forego having a torque wrench?

Who cares if it's niche or not niche?




Apr 17, 2024 at 09:32 AM
snapsy
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


jhapeman wrote:
Or...FM isn't really a good reflection of the market. People here think they are, but it's not. It's a small community of people who have self-assembled around some shared interests. We are in no way representative of the broader US market, never mind the global market--and certainly not the professional market, as the vast majority of folks here are amateurs, and skew older. Go hang out elsewhere and you'll see different segments of the market represented.


Sure that's possible but my position is that FM is quite representative of the purchase and use of specialized cameras like the A9 III.



Apr 17, 2024 at 09:35 AM
GMPhotography
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


snapsy wrote:
I have the same insight I posted earlier in this thread - the lack of much member activity demonstrating ownership and use of the camera, as compared to other recent flagship releases from Sony and others. If a niche site like FM isn't showing much enthusiasm then neither is the market in general.


Come on this is a hobbyist site pretty much and we can almost count the number of Pros that hang out here. Folks like me will buy this thing but we are very few here. FM is no place to count the sales. We honestly can't use this site as a guide



Apr 17, 2024 at 09:36 AM
GMPhotography
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


jhapeman wrote:
Or...FM isn't really a good reflection of the market. People here think they are, but it's not. It's a small community of people who have self-assembled around some shared interests. We are in no way representative of the broader US market, never mind the global market--and certainly not the professional market, as the vast majority of folks here are amateurs, and skew older. Go hang out elsewhere and you'll see different segments of the market represented.


Careful on that older stuff some of us represent that.

It's really not a Pro hangout per se so getting sales numbers is not going to happen here.



Apr 17, 2024 at 09:38 AM
snapsy
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


GMPhotography wrote:
Come on this is a hobbyist site pretty much and we can almost count the number of Pros that hang out here. Folks like me will buy this thing but we are very few here. FM is no place to count the sales. We honestly can't use this site as a guide


Who do you believe purchases more flagship cameras - pros or hobbyists? To help answer that question, consider how much time and money Sony spends on prosumer/hobbyist-targeted influencers.



Apr 17, 2024 at 09:39 AM
jhapeman
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #18 · p.7 #18 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


GMPhotography wrote:
Careful on that older stuff some of us represent that.

It's really not a Pro hangout per se so getting sales numbers is not going to happen here.


I mean I'm in my early 50's so I'm not exactly a spring chicken either...but go hang out on the Sony sub-reddits over on Reddit and you'll see a totally different demographic profile and a very vibrant community as well.




Apr 17, 2024 at 09:40 AM
GMPhotography
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #19 · p.7 #19 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


tsdevine wrote:
And we care because? A tool that serves a purpose doesn't have to be as popular as every other tool. Does a torque wrench have to sell in the same volume as an adjustable wrench? Maybe torque wrenches aren't as popular......hmm...maybe the tool companies shouldn't have made torque wrenches? Should auto mechanics just stick with adjustable wrenches and forego having a torque wrench?

Who cares if it's niche or not niche?



Hate that word niche. Personally I call it a specialized camera but whatever



Apr 17, 2024 at 09:40 AM
GMPhotography
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #20 · p.7 #20 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?


jhapeman wrote:
I mean I'm in my early 50's so I'm not exactly a spring chicken either...but go hang out on the Sony sub-reddits over on Reddit and you'll see a totally different demographic profile and a very vibrant community as well.



I agree there maybe other sites that more Pro buyers hang out in.



Apr 17, 2024 at 09:41 AM
1       2       3              6              8              10       11       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6              8              10       11       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.