Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5              7              10       11       end

Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

The answer to this thread is really two folded. One is the cost for a 24mpx body and the second really is understanding what it actually do for working Pros that are in need of theses feature sets that we needed for years but folks donít really look outside the box on their photography. Go out and look at a 100 magazines with ads and all than put that all outside of what the hobbyists are doing. Photography styles are huge and the market is even bigger. People need to look outside of what they do and what photography really is.

Apr 16, 2024 at 08:38 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

rico wrote:
First and only global shutter since the CCD era deserves a smart markup it would seem. I don't fault Sony for taking a well-deserved profit. The a9iii is the only camera that interests me although, like Guy, a test rental is more my speed for the moment.

Agreed and I would add that much of the apparent profit from the higher price is going to get eaten up by all the NRE R&D costs associated with the sensor. It'll probably take a few generations and the sensor going down-market in future bodies for Sony to recoup its investment.

Apr 16, 2024 at 08:42 PM
Stoffer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

GMPhotography wrote:
For me this is a miracle body. I shoot 20k images with stage lighting and LED banding can be a big issue. Iím shooting all people on stage. I get by with the A7RV in mechanical and variable shutter but no guarantees on that and this thing would kill any banding. My issue is Iím retiring but still shoot these shows so the investment is tough. I would need body new vertical grip a 1.4 converter since I donít want to use crop mode because I think it be maybe 12mpx. So I need the 1.4 plus the 70-200. Now
...Show more

I assume that you need the zoom of the 70-200mm GM II for that runway job, but otherwise there is the new 300mm GM, a killer combo for you with the A9 III.

You need to buy a lottery ticket, Guy!

Apr 17, 2024 at 12:59 AM
tuomkok
• • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

Hype fading away is not because the camera is diappointing, it is because users now find out that they had unrealistic hopes. New tech is full of surprises

A9 III is de facto a mk1 product, a first global shutter camera in it's class. It was to be expeted that it is a niche camera, much more than A9 I or II ever were. At some point in future we will have the mk2 global shutter camera, then mk 3, 4 etc. Limitations in ISO and dynamic rage will fade away incrementally. There is a bright future for global shutter, but it does not happen overnight.

Apr 17, 2024 at 01:29 AM
thoregil

p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

A74me wrote:
seriously you could have shot these images with any camera.

Obviously. The point is that with any camera except the A9III you have to be concerned with LED banding.

Apr 17, 2024 at 02:34 AM
thoregil

p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

jhapeman wrote:
I think he didn't word his post very well. At a certain level you are correct--but it takes tweaking to dial in an exposure that isn't in sync with the LEDs. The more different types of LED lighting are used in a venue the more challenging it can be as they won't necessarily all be synced with each other.

His first image was taken with a A9II and clearly shows banding in the image from the LED lights. He would have had to resort to a fractional shutter speed to get it out of sync with the LED drivers. The
...Show more

Thanks. That was my point exactly. I didn't think it was necessary to spell out in detail what you can see immediately when looking at the photos. I have shot tens of thousands of photos with the A9II and before that with Olympus OM-D EM-1.
But as every concert stage have been installing LED lights, the banding problems have been getting worse over the years.
And when you combine LEDs with stage smoke the banding is getting even more visible, even with mechanical shutter.
The only way out is to reduce the shutter speed to a crawl. Until the arrival of the A9III.

Apr 17, 2024 at 02:53 AM
Alan Parker
• • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

GMPhotography wrote:
The answer to this thread is really two folded. One is the cost for a 24mpx body and the second really is understanding what it actually do for working Pros that are in need of theses feature sets that we needed for years but folks donít really look outside the box on their photography. Go out and look at a 100 magazines with ads and all than put that all outside of what the hobbyists are doing. Photography styles are huge and the market is even bigger. People need to look outside of what they do and what photography really
...Show more

I feel like the 'target audience' for the A9III, in the form of accredited photographers and sports photographers, don't really talk about gear that much if they are just being provided with said gear from their publishing house or whatever agency they work with/for. If you get an A9III from AP or whatever, why discuss it online? Just my opinion of course.
I feel like the A9III is still a fantastic product that deserves praise, but for a more general everyday photographer it's not the most obvious camera body to pick from Sony's lineup. Doesn't mean that the Paris Olympics won't be shot almost exclusively on them because of the unique properties that is has that make perfect sense there

Apr 17, 2024 at 02:57 AM
bernardl
• • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

DxO PL7.6 now supports the a9III, that is very very good news for all owners like myself. Now impatiently waiting for PL8 with DeePrime XD2.

I find the a9III to be an excellent camera without any obvious weakness and with some unique capabilities.

AF is not as impressive as I thought it would be compared to my Z8/Z9, especially when shooting with my 50mm f1.2 GM wide open at f1.2, but it is still obviously brilliant. Just not significantly better when shooting moving people. I am sure that it excels in some use cases.

Cheers,
Bernard

Apr 17, 2024 at 03:07 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

bernardl wrote:
AF is not as impressive as I thought it would be compared to my Z8/Z9, especially when shooting with my 50mm f1.2 GM wide open at f1.2, but it is still obviously brilliant. Just not significantly better when shooting moving people. I am sure that it excels in some use cases.

That's interesting, could you elaborate a bit?
Do you mean something like eyeAF accuracy wide-open from less than optimal angles (not looking into the camera directly) ?

Apr 17, 2024 at 03:25 AM
bernardl
• • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

j4nu wrote:
That's interesting, could you elaborate a bit?
Do you mean something like eyeAF accuracy wide-open from less than optimal angles (not looking into the camera directly) ?

Yes, hit rate focusing on the pupil of the eye at f1.2, ability to find faces when there are partial obstructions in the foreground,...

The a9III works very well overall, but so do the Nikons. I have a slightly higher keep rate with the Sony at f4, but a slightly higher hit rate with the Nikons at f1.2.

These are non scientific results, just what I saw using both cameras. But again, they are all better than anything else so far and incredibly good. Especially when comparing against a camera like the GFX-100II which feels like a blurred image generator compared to the other 2. I really like the 100II also though.

Cheers,
Bernard

Edited on Apr 17, 2024 at 05:48 AM · View previous versions

Apr 17, 2024 at 04:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

nhsonyshooter
• • • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

A9iii is simply over priced. That's it's biggest flaw. I think more people would spring for it if it was similar to the RV price.

Apr 17, 2024 at 04:24 AM
tuomkok
• • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

nhsonyshooter wrote:
A9iii is simply over priced. That's it's biggest flaw. I think more people would spring for it if it was similar to the RV price.

To me A9 III looks like an excellent but very niche camera. Those who need it, pay for it - no complaints. Sony may calculate that A9 III would not sell much better with lower price, so why not ask for the high price

Apr 17, 2024 at 04:28 AM
nhsonyshooter
• • • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

tuomkok wrote:
To me A9 III looks like an excellent but very niche camera. Those who need it, pay for it - no complaints. Sony may calculate that A9 III would not sell much better with lower price, so why not ask for the high price

Never understood that logic but OK. You make products to sell. That's what businesses do.

Apr 17, 2024 at 04:31 AM
A74me

p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

bernardl wrote:
Yes, hit rate focusing on the pupil of the eye at f1.2, ability to find faces when there are partial obstructions in the foreground,...

The a9III works very well overall, but so do the Nikons. I have a slightly higher keep rate with the Sony at f4, but a slightly higher hit rate with the Nikons at f1.2.

These are non scientific results, just what I saw using both cameras. But again, they are all better than anything else so far and incredibly good. Especially when comparing against a camera like the GFX-100II which feels like a blurred image generator compared to
...Show more

love this post, good old fashion honesty from someone that owns them all. i seen a post on the MF forum where the z8 was compared to the gfx100ii and the z8 image was deliberately processed with incorrect WB to make it look bad, so i took the z8 file into Ps and corrected it, only for the mod to delete the truth that the z8 can equal MF for IQ or what a member calls "fidelity"

Apr 17, 2024 at 04:39 AM
Laslo Varadi
• • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

For my own BIF I absolutely see much better results at 120 FPS than 20 or 30. No comparison at all. Coupled with far superior AF and precapture, the A9III just delivers much better BIF vs my A1 bodies.

BIF looks ENTIRELY different 1/30 second later. With 120 FPS you pick the right wing position for the image you want, not whatever haphazard wing positions you are stuck with.

Good for you. I have no need to go through hundreds of photos of 1 bird in flight 50-60 is good enough for me to get a choice of different wing positions. Also 24mp is a big compromise. Very rarely do I get that close to the BIF even with the 600 and TC. As far as pre-capture I have that on my Z8 and have not tried it yet. Too bad our A1 did not get it, but for me itís not a show stopper and I donít think itís useful when birds are actually in flight. So in summary for what I shoot, even today I would chose the A1 over the 9iii for wildlife photography even today. Itís nice to be able to chose the best tool for the job. For me the only thing missing from Sony system was long telephoto lenses at mid range cost that Nikon has and that is why I added a Nikon to my bag to keep my Sony company.

Apr 17, 2024 at 05:08 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

A74me wrote:
the z8 can equal MF for IQ or what a member calls "fidelity"

Ridiculous statement everything other than sensor size being equal.

Apr 17, 2024 at 05:08 AM
A74me

p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

1bwana1 wrote:
Ridiculous statement everything other than sensor size being equal.

its not ridiculous, the a74 can outperform th gfx100ii download dustin abbots images if you want the facts.

Apr 17, 2024 at 06:12 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

bernardl wrote:

These are non scientific results, just what I saw using both cameras. But again, they are all better than anything else so far and incredibly good. Especially when comparing against a camera like the GFX-100II which feels like a blurred image generator compared to
...Show more

Thanks, it's refreshing to read such a broad and unbiased comparison nowadays .
I moved from A7III to A1 and in some aspects, changes to eyeAF weren't as big as I was expecting ...

Apr 17, 2024 at 06:20 AM
A74me

p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

j4nu wrote:
Thanks, it's refreshing to read such a broad and unbiased comparison nowadays .
I moved from A7III to A1 and in some aspects, changes to eyeAF weren't as big as I was expecting ...

eye af on the A1 is not up with the a74, a7r5 ,a93, a7c2, a7cr, and i think the a7s3

Apr 17, 2024 at 06:31 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

A74me wrote:
eye af on the A1 is not up with the a74, a7r5 ,a93, a7c2, a7cr, and i think the a7s3

I think the AI-models have better recognition (including eyeAF), but A7s3 and A7IV are rather similar to A1. EyeAF was a hot topic for A7IV as people complained it was not accurate in a lot of times (there were fw upgrades since then to fix the issue).

The area where I'd like to see some improvement is eyeAF accuracy, especially when shooting at an angle. The manufacturers nowadays do not seem to put much effort into making sure it's the iris that is in focus (if there's any obstacle along the way like eyelashes or hair)...

Apr 17, 2024 at 06:46 AM
1       2       3              5              7              10       11       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.