New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4              10       11       end

Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

jhapeman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

RoamingScott wrote:
Ah yes, the thing where I say the quiet part out loud (that uncomfortably happens to be true), helping people along the way, my classic trolling! I'm such a card!

One of my favorite saying is "Opinions are like a$$holes; we all have one, but that doesn't mean we want to hear yours."

Apr 16, 2024 at 02:04 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

jhapeman wrote:
One of my favorite saying is "Opinions are like a$$holes; we all have one, but that doesn't mean we want to hear yours."

I couldn't care less about what you want to hear It's obvious what that is, though.

Weird calling me out as a Nikon shooter when that's only a fraction of my kit...again, says a lot more about other people than me if that's what they resort to. Don't be that guy.

Apr 16, 2024 at 02:06 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

jhapeman wrote:
, seriously? The least interesting? It's literally one of the most interesting...entire genres of television and movies are built around it. Decades of wildlife photography articles in magazines like National Geographic have been all about capturing the action. Portraits of animals are inherently less interesting and tell us less about them.

I don't think anyone is claiming the A9III is "the best stills camera" so that's a bit of a straw man argument on your end. It does however have the very best AF and best frame rate out there, no question about it. Those two things are absolutely the
...Show more

I have to disagree with you regarding portraits of animals is less interesting. I love looking at animals as they sit still pondering life. You can look into those eyes and see the souls of these animals. A bird captured right when its bill hits the water just does nothing to pull me into the image. A lion looking over his herd with lazy sleepy eyes tells me a story.

Apr 16, 2024 at 02:09 PM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

chez wrote:
I have to disagree with you regarding portraits of animals is less interesting. I love looking at animals as they sit still pondering life. You can look into those eyes and see the souls of these animals. A bird captured right when its bill hits the water just does nothing to pull me into the image. A lion looking over his herd with lazy sleepy eyes tells me a story.

To each their own of course, but to imply that action photos are the "least interesting form of wildlife photography" is a stretch at best. It's most certainly not a fact; the prevalence of wildlife action photography and the camera equipment designed to capture action indicate that there a huge market of those who chose to both create and consume those photos. That was my point.

Edited on Apr 16, 2024 at 02:17 PM · View previous versions

Apr 16, 2024 at 02:12 PM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

RoamingScott wrote:
I couldn't care less about what you want to hear It's obvious what that is, though.

Weird calling me out as a Nikon shooter when that's only a fraction of my kit...again, says a lot more about other people than me if that's what they resort to. Don't be that guy.

Thanks for telling me "who to be." You're the one who's constantly commenting on dumping your A1 to get your Nikons and constantly showing up on the Sony threads to bash them for whatever you feel like on a given day. Your own post and comment history are sufficient to demonstrate that.

I've shot every major system out there and spent time with Leica too but I don't spend my time trolling on the Nikon forums comparing the A1/A9III to the Z9 and Z8. We get it, you're happy with your choice. At the end of the day though it doesn't really add to the discussions to hear you constantly weigh in about cameras you've never used or haven't used in quite some time.

Apr 16, 2024 at 02:16 PM
berimbolo
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

jhapeman wrote:
To each their own of course, but to imply that action photos are the "least interesting form of wildlife photography" is a stretch at best. It's most certainly not a fact; the prevalence of wildlife action photography and the camera equipment designed to capture action indicate that there a huge market of those who chose to both create and consume those photos. That was my point.

Many wildlife photographers don't care for that type of photography. How is that difficult to believe? There are photographers who prefer more artistic images, and action photos may not appeal to them. Open your perspective to something different.

Apr 16, 2024 at 02:23 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

This is not complete but 60 different styles of photography. There are more and they have different techniques and gear requirements.

https://www.spyne.ai/blogs/types-of-photography

Point being open your eyes.

Edited on Apr 16, 2024 at 02:28 PM · View previous versions

Apr 16, 2024 at 02:27 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

jhapeman wrote:

I think it’s stretching it a bit when you claim there is a huge market for action wildlife photography. You need to understand the FM crowd is not close to representing the general photography market.

Apr 16, 2024 at 02:28 PM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

berimbolo wrote:
Many wildlife photographers don't care for that type of photography. How is that difficult to believe? There are photographers who prefer more artistic images, and action photos may not appeal to them. Open your perspective to something different.

You are again resorting to straw man arguments. I never said it's not common. I was countering your bogus claim that "actually the least interesting form of wildlife photography."

It's not. That's all. I shoot both. Love both. But I think action tells more of a story; still images let the viewer insert their own story. They both have their place. You were the one who started this with the bogus claim about action photography.

Apr 16, 2024 at 02:29 PM
berimbolo
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

jhapeman wrote:
You are again resorting to straw man arguments. I never said it's not common. I was countering your bogus claim that "actually the least interesting form of wildlife photography."

It's not. That's all. I shoot both. Love both. But I think action tells more of a story; still images let the viewer insert their own story. They both have their place. You were the one who started this with the bogus claim about action photography.

Go back and read what I wrote. I explicitly said "To many people, its actually the least interesting form of wildlife photography.". That means that to a non-negligible % of the wildlife photography community, it is the least interesting form of photography. What is the straw man here? Is it a straw man to ask that you understand English?

Apr 16, 2024 at 02:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jhapeman
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

chez wrote:
I think it’s stretching it a bit when you claim there is a huge market for action wildlife photography. You need to understand the FM crowd is not close to representing the general photography market.

Seriously? How to do you reconcile that with the cameras built specifically to catch action? Or just look at the articles in something like National Geographic. Or the wildlife photography awards like the photos here:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/see-25-breathtaking-images-from-the-wildlife-photographer-of-the-year-contest-180983516/

At least half of those winning photos are snaps of action.

I'm baffled this is even a discussion.

Apr 16, 2024 at 02:36 PM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

berimbolo wrote:
Go back and read what I wrote. I explicitly said "To many people, its actually the least interesting form of wildlife photography.". That means that to a non-negligible % of the wildlife photography community, it is the least interesting form of photography. What is the straw man here? Is it a straw man to ask that you understand English?

Your whole point is that because you believe it's the least interesting form to many, the A9III is essentially a pointless camera compared to the "far superior" A1. The original straw man was you implying that someone else said it was the best stills camera, when I didn't see anyone make that claim here.

The second straw man was to imply that I didn't think anything BUT action photography was important, when I said nothing to that effect. I simply disagreed with your comment and the conclusions you were drawing from it.

Now you're resorting to ad hominem attacks--you don't like my arguments, so you imply I'm dumb and can't read English. Very classy. If we could stick to the topic at hand, that would be great. I'll reiterate my point:

The A9III can do many things the A1 cannot. Many people love action photography and there is a not insignificant number of people who love to both take those photos and enjoy/consume them. I have provided direct evidence of this. This is one area where the A9III is unequivocally better than the A1. I say this as someone who has both, and uses them extensively.

You might think action photography is the least interesting. Fine, but that is just your preferences, and says nothing about the market as a whole. There is a very large segment of the market that disagrees with you, and that doesn't invalidate your preferences, but it does mean that just because you have a strong opinion does not mean that everyone agrees with or that a product that doesn't fit your interests will not fit the interests of others.

It's as simple as that.

Apr 16, 2024 at 02:49 PM
berimbolo
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

jhapeman wrote:
Your whole point is that because you believe it's the least interesting form to many, the A9III is essentially a pointless camera compared to the "far superior" A1. The original straw man was you implying that someone else said it was the best stills camera, when I didn't see anyone make that claim here.

The second straw man was to imply that I didn't think anything BUT action photography was important, when I said nothing to that effect. I simply disagreed with your comment and the conclusions you were drawing from it.

Now you're resorting to ad hominem attacks--you don't
...Show more

You're literally putting words in my mouth, you silly old man.

Apr 16, 2024 at 02:51 PM
A74me

p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

thoregil wrote:
Don't know about others, but 2024-02-24 was the date I could stop worrying about any LED banding and concentrate on getting the best concert photos.
https://thoregilphoto.com/

https://i0.wp.com/thoregilphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/ThorEgilLeirtro-Krokofant-208386.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/thoregilphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/ThorEgilLeirtro-Kim-Myhr-200088.jpg

seriously you could have shot these images with any camera.

Apr 16, 2024 at 02:57 PM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

So back to the topic at hand now that I've resorted to the Hide button for those who resort to personal attacks.

I think this thread clearly demonstrates that the original thesis of "hype" about this camera is not correct. Indeed there's more folks jumping on this thread to bash the camera than anything else. Interestingly enough not a single one of them owns one either.

Apr 16, 2024 at 02:59 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

jhapeman wrote:
Seriously? How to do you reconcile that with the cameras built specifically to catch action? Or just look at the articles in something like National Geographic. Or the wildlife photography awards like the photos here:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/see-25-breathtaking-images-from-the-wildlife-photographer-of-the-year-contest-180983516/

At least half of those winning photos are snaps of action.

I'm baffled this is even a discussion.

Just cruised through a sampling of posted images on the nature and wildlife board. I’d say a vast majority of the images are not action wildlife. This is on a forum that breaths bif talk.

Apr 16, 2024 at 03:09 PM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

A74me wrote:
seriously you could have shot these images with any camera.

I think he didn't word his post very well. At a certain level you are correct--but it takes tweaking to dial in an exposure that isn't in sync with the LEDs. The more different types of LED lighting are used in a venue the more challenging it can be as they won't necessarily all be synced with each other.

His first image was taken with a A9II and clearly shows banding in the image from the LED lights. He would have had to resort to a fractional shutter speed to get it out of sync with the LED drivers. The second one has no banding as it was taken with an A9III.

The point is that a good tool will make getting the images you want even easier. That's what the A9III is doing here. You can shoot at normal shutter speeds without thinking about messing around to get around issues with fluorescent light or LED light syncing. The same with AF--its so good that you can get shots that would be technically *possible* with other cameras, but are much easier to achieve with an A9III, and with much more consistently reproducible results.

Ten years from now it's likely every camera will have the same global shutter sensors and even more advanced AF. The A9III is just the first MILC to get there, and like anything that's first, it's not perfect, but it does a lot of things a lot better than we can get them today, and that's really the whole point.

When I was shooting flying hummingbirds last month in Colombia, I was with my nephew who was shooting by my side with his A1. At the end of the day he got some great images. I got vastly more great images and images he couldn't get, because at 120fps and with the superior eye AF and pre-capture, I just had so many more opportunities to catch the perfect moment. Would I have liked 51 megapixels? I most definitely would have--but that was the only thing about the A1 I missed. Everything else was superior on the A9III--white balance, overall color rendition SOOC, speed of camera, AF performance, subject recognition--the list goes on.

Apr 16, 2024 at 03:10 PM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

chez wrote:
Just cruised through a sampling of posted images on the nature and wildlife board. I’d say a vast majority of the images are not action wildlife. This is on a forum that breaths bif talk.

I think the misunderstanding here is that you seem to be taking a narrow view of what action in photography is. The grizzly bear standing up and dripping water--that's a moment of action, where a camera with slow AF or poor eye recognition might miss it. Both lions simultaneously licking the cub--same thing. The better the AF, the faster the frames per second, the higher the odds of getting those shots.

Action is not just birds in flight.

Apr 16, 2024 at 03:12 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

jhapeman wrote:
You might think action photography is the least interesting. Fine, but that is just your preferences, and says nothing about the market as a whole. There is a very large segment of the market that disagrees with you, and that doesn't invalidate your preferences, but it does mean that just because you have a strong opinion does not mean that everyone agrees with or that a product that doesn't fit your interests will not fit the interests of others.

It's as simple as that.

Where do you get your data about this “very large segment of the market” from. You throw this about as if you have data…do you? Or is this something you are making up?

Apr 16, 2024 at 03:12 PM
A74me

p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

GMPhotography wrote:
You’re all forgetting about high flash sync and elimination of LED banding. That is so important to many groups of shooters. The A9III is the best camera we have today. It’s only lacking higher resolution that maybe coming as well. Technically it has nothing to match it YET

your forgetting thats there has never been a problem in the first place, marketing is telling everyone there is a problem not photographers. who is going to spend 10k on a camera that doesnt fix anything. i follow many dance estedford sites and all the images taken by the top photographers are always banding free with past gear. as far as flash goes Godox with its AD flashes has solved the portable HSS power restriction as well many years ago.

Apr 16, 2024 at 03:13 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.