New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3              10       11       end

Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

lightskyland wrote:
I think the A9III is a significantly better general use camera than anything else out there.

The highest-resolution max DR people are much more of a niche than the masses of people buying cameras who want totally easy and accurate AF in photo and video without weird still and motion artifacts.

I'm a landscape photographer primarily, but I know I'm in the small minority who is better off with an ACR / A7R5 than an A9III.

The A1 is a nice compromise but the A9III just a lot more capable for anything that moves with pre-capture, 120FPS, more AF accuracy, and zero motion
...Show more

In that case the A9 III is destroying everything but sales - even here on FM, which is home to some of the most niche subjsets of photographers, it doesn't seem to have gained much traction, niche or otherwise. So it doesn't seem the market agrees, or at least doesn't believe the qualities you list are important enough to position an A9 III purchase ahead of the alternatives.

Apr 16, 2024 at 09:30 AM
berimbolo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

I think for a lot of people, the A1's autofocus and frame rate are good enough that the benefits of a higher MP sensor and better IQ make the A1 far superior to the A9iii. I do not think there is enough data to suggest that the A9iii is the best stills camera. Id like to see some genuinely artistic wildlife images taken in dramatic and difficult lighting situations before making a claim like that. Action wildlife photography is not the entirety of wildlife photography. To many people, its actually the least interesting form of wildlife photography.

Apr 16, 2024 at 09:50 AM
lightskyland
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

snapsy wrote:
In that case the A9 III is destroying everything but sales - even here on FM, which is home to some of the most niche subjsets of photographers, it doesn't seem to have gained much traction, niche or otherwise. So it doesn't seem the market agrees, or at least doesn't believe the qualities you list are important enough to position an A9 III purchase ahead of the alternatives.

Photographers are very conservative with their equipment decisions and often far behind the curve. Witness how long it took for the flapping mirror to go away! It took half a generation of photographers for mirrorless to even catch up in the market with the CaNikon duopoly much less to finish off the dSLR market which only happened in the last two years. And the group of people who spend $30,000-100,000 on a high end photo system is very much older than even the overall dedicated camera market.

Still, we are seeing a LOT of people sing the praises of the A9III, just not those laser focused on DR metrics / resolution.

Apr 16, 2024 at 10:10 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

lightskyland wrote:
Photographers are very conservative with their equipment decisions and often far behind the curve. Witness how long it took for the flapping mirror to go away! It took half a generation of photographers for mirrorless to even catch up in the market with the CaNikon duopoly much less to finish off the dSLR market which only happened in the last two years. And the group of people who spend $30,000-100,000 on a high end photo system is very much older than even the overall dedicated camera market.

Still, we are seeing a LOT of people sing the praises of the A9III,
...Show more

Fully agree, which again is why I included price as one of the factors that appears to be relegating this camera as a niche.

Apr 16, 2024 at 10:19 AM
DWOfPaul
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

I feel the A9iii is an expensive camera aimed at professional photographers photographing sports, news, concerts, and performances. These types of photographers usually seam to spend less time on sites like Youtube and more time actually using their gear. So I think it will take a while for reviews to come out, and there won't be as many as say a Sony A7r that caters to the landscape and architecture photographers.

The A9iii definitely falls in the revolutionary category and will be game changing to some photographers, but usually the first game changing camera is not the one that gets mass adoption. It's a model or two down the road when the prices come down and the feature set goes up. I am sure if in 3 years from now if Sony puts out a global shutter camera with 30mp + and is 4k or under we will see much more market adoption.

Personally I can't think of one type of photo I take today that would benefit from a global sensor instead of a stacked sensor. Add in the extra cost, lower MP, and smaller ISO range, and as cool as the A9iii is on paper if I was going to buy another camera I don't see it's value proposition for my needs. My gut is quite a few other photographers feel the same.

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:13 PM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

I mean I don't think there *was* an initial hype. Indeed, quite the opposite--the consensus opinion here since launch seemed pretty sour on the camera, with people discounting it first because of the lower megapixel count, and then with discussions of noise and DR.

I wrote up a rather long post here just two weeks ago that laid out my thoughts on all of that, and my conclusion is that none of it is an issue, and ultimately I am finding myself grabbing the A9III more often than my A1's.

That said, I absolutely would love an updated A1II and I'll be first in line to buy a pair of them to replace my A1's. If it has the new IBIS, precapture and the AI-autofocus--and it almost assuredly will have all of those--then it will be all I need. I personally suspect that it will have even more secret upgrades that Sony is working on, which is why they didn't launch it back with the A9III. What that is will remain to be seen. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it turned out to be a global shutter like the A9III, but with a lower max fps, say 60 vs. 120. We shall see!

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:18 PM
lightskyland
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

DWOfPaul wrote:
I feel the A9iii is an expensive camera aimed at professional photographers photographing sports, news, concerts, and performances. These types of photographers usually seam to spend less time on sites like Youtube and more time actually using their gear. So I think it will take a while for reviews to come out, and there won't be as many as say a Sony A7r that caters to the landscape and architecture photographers.

The A9iii definitely falls in the revolutionary category and will be game changing to some photographers, but usually the first game changing camera is not the one that gets
...Show more

Well, you have to compare camera-to-camera.

The A9III AF beats all other cameras in terms of AF speed and hit rate. Also FPS (at least for FF cameras).

So if AF and high frame rate is important in your photography, the A9III is a lot better at this than any other camera is. Add in precapture too.

Admittedly, only some of those are directly related to the global shutter.

I agree with you that the A9III brings nothing to the table for landscape photographers etc.

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:23 PM
Jerky_san
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

randomguy wrote:
High price and low resolution means most skip this camera.

I use one as I like to photograph small birds and animals in action. I post some images on my stream there but do not really post images here anymore.

The camera has a couple of issues that hopefully Sony can fix with a firmware update.

@_ Sony Executive: " Firmware updates you say? How about A9IIII!" Sorry couldn't help it..

Genuinely though sorry they have things that legitimately need to be fixed. I also hope they pull their heads out of their butts and fix issues. Though my experience with the A1 has left me slightly jaded in that department though this last update kind of kind me a little hope.

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:30 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

The A9 series IMO has always been a photojournalism camera and the A93 is no different, with new features designed to make a PJ's life easier and better. I'm not sure what the OP is expecting to see, hype-wise, from a new body that essentially does exactly the same as the old body (take photos and video) but with better features. In that sense it's no different to many other camera releases over the years.

Sure, the global sensor is a significant advancement in sensor technology, but so was the stacked sensor, and before that the high MP sensors, and before that the CMOS sensor, and before than the CCD sensor etc. Sensor tech is always advancing. The global sensor in a stills camera had been anticipated for many years and it's no surprise Sony was the company to finally commercialize it.

I'm sure there are a few PJs out there who will sing its praises and highlight how it makes their jobs easier, but I'd not put that in the "hype" category of commentary. The only "hype" I saw was manufactured by Sony PR or by attention-hungry bloggers.

The only question I now have is how fast the readout will be on the new A1 next year -- how close to "global" can Sony get with a 50MP sensor in a small camera body or will it be some sort of hybrid with global capabilities in crop or video mode only? Then again, this is Sony we're talking about so I really just expect a new A1 with exactly the same sensor but the enhanced features of the A7R5 (newer AF, pre-capture, focus stacking), which is fine by me if the price stays the same.

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:43 PM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

berimbolo wrote:
I think for a lot of people, the A1's autofocus and frame rate are good enough that the benefits of a higher MP sensor and better IQ make the A1 far superior to the A9iii. I do not think there is enough data to suggest that the A9iii is the best stills camera. Id like to see some genuinely artistic wildlife images taken in dramatic and difficult lighting situations before making a claim like that. Action wildlife photography is not the entirety of wildlife photography. To many people, its actually the least interesting form of wildlife photography.

, seriously? The least interesting? It's literally one of the most interesting...entire genres of television and movies are built around it. Decades of wildlife photography articles in magazines like National Geographic have been all about capturing the action. Portraits of animals are inherently less interesting and tell us less about them.

I don't think anyone is claiming the A9III is "the best stills camera" so that's a bit of a straw man argument on your end. It does however have the very best AF and best frame rate out there, no question about it. Those two things are absolutely the most important for any type of action photography.

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

Youíre all forgetting about high flash sync and elimination of LED banding. That is so important to many groups of shooters. The A9III is the best camera we have today. Itís only lacking higher resolution that maybe coming as well. Technically it has nothing to match it YET

Apr 16, 2024 at 01:01 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

Plus plus plus

Apr 16, 2024 at 01:07 PM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

GMPhotography wrote:
Youíre all forgetting about high flash sync and elimination of LED banding. That is so important to many groups of shooters. The A9III is the best camera we have today. Itís only lacking higher resolution that maybe coming as well. Technically it has nothing to match it YET

Have you tried one yet or are you using one now? Just curious!

Apr 16, 2024 at 01:20 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

I want to rent one for my big runway shows but rental is pretty high and I need a vertical grip

Apr 16, 2024 at 01:37 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

Every single working pro on earth was making a living before the A9iii was released. There are nice-to-haves with the A9iii, but they aren't immediately putting more money in people's wallets, so no surprise not many people outside of obsessive hobbyists are plunking down $6k for this camera on launch.

For the vast majority of shooters, both pro and hobby, the features of the A9iii wouldn't make an appreciable difference to their work.

The A9iii isn't some incredible revolution that turned the market on its head. It's a tech preview of what will be in every brand's high-end camera at some point.

Apr 16, 2024 at 01:50 PM
berimbolo
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

jhapeman wrote:
, seriously? The least interesting? It's literally one of the most interesting...entire genres of television and movies are built around it. Decades of wildlife photography articles in magazines like National Geographic have been all about capturing the action. Portraits of animals are inherently less interesting and tell us less about them.

I don't think anyone is claiming the A9III is "the best stills camera" so that's a bit of a straw man argument on your end. It does however have the very best AF and best frame rate out there, no question about it. Those two things are absolutely the
...Show more

The fact that you assume all non-action shots are portraits tells me everything I need to know lol

Apr 16, 2024 at 01:58 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

RoamingScott wrote:
Every single working pro on earth was making a living before the A9iii was released. There are nice-to-haves with the A9iii, but they aren't immediately putting more money in people's wallets, so no surprise not many people outside of obsessive hobbyists are plunking down $6k for this camera on launch.

For the vast majority of shooters, both pro and hobby, the features of the A9iii wouldn't make an appreciable difference to their work.

The A9iii isn't some incredible revolution that turned the market on its head. It's a tech preview of what will be in every brand's high-end camera at some point.

Canít that be said about every single camera released the last few years? I know a few professional wedding / event photographers using DSLRís and my two Sonís weddings both were covered with DSLRís.

Apr 16, 2024 at 01:59 PM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

RoamingScott wrote:

The same can be said about every new camera, so what's the point here? You are right, in two years Canon and Nikon will release a global shutter camera and then three years after that they'll finally get it working right with 3-4 firmware updates.

If you didn't already own an A1 and don't care about 24 vs. 51 megapixels, then 100% the smart buy today is the A9III. There are loads of people just buying in, not everyone has the latest and greatest when they go to buy a new camera.

Apr 16, 2024 at 02:01 PM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

chez wrote:
Canít that be said about every single camera released the last few years? I know a few professional wedding / event photographers using DSLRís and my two Sonís weddings both were covered with DSLRís.

He's just here from the Nikon forum doing his usual trolling.

Apr 16, 2024 at 02:01 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

jhapeman wrote:
He's just here from the Nikon forum doing his usual trolling.

Ah yes, the thing where I say the quiet part out loud (that uncomfortably happens to be true), helping people along the way, my classic trolling! I'm such a card!

Literally nothing I said is untrue, or even controversial, so taking offense to it just makes you a fanboy. Sorry!

Edited on Apr 16, 2024 at 02:04 PM · View previous versions

Apr 16, 2024 at 02:03 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.