New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              10       11       end

Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

peterschwab

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

Hey fellow camera enthusiasts,

I wanted to spark a discussion about the Sony A9III. As an avid photographer, I've been eagerly awaiting the release of this camera, expecting to see a flood of exciting content showcasing its capabilities. However, to my surprise and disappointment, I've noticed a significant lack of new videos on YouTube featuring cool shots or photo shoots that utilize the A9III.

It's got me wondering: is nobody buying this camera? Has the hype died down before we've even seen what it can truly do? It's disheartening to see such little buzz surrounding what was initially anticipated to be a game-changer in the world of photography.

I find myself constantly scouring YouTube, hoping to stumble upon videos that demonstrate the unique features and impressive performance of the A9III. Yet, my searches often come up short. It begs the question: are photographers simply not embracing this camera as expected?

I understand that every new release comes with its fair share of skepticism and critique. But usually, there's at least a flurry of excitement and experimentation in the early days. With the A9III, however, it seems like the enthusiasm has waned before it even had a chance to shine.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Have you noticed the same lack of content surrounding the Sony A9III? Do you think the hype has faded prematurely, or is there something else at play here?

Looking forward to hearing your insights.

Apr 16, 2024 at 03:58 AM
randomguy
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

High price and low resolution means most skip this camera.

I use one as I like to photograph small birds and animals in action. I post some images on my stream there but do not really post images here anymore.

The camera has a couple of issues that hopefully Sony can fix with a firmware update.

Apr 16, 2024 at 04:43 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

IMO it's a highly niche camera as most would likely prefer the performance characteristics of a fast, stacked rolling shutter sensor over the unique proposition of what the A9 III offers.

Apr 16, 2024 at 04:46 AM
aCuria
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

I think the A9iii very specialized and expensive tool. Its not an all-rounder camera. The content creators got loaner cameras to make videos, and have since returned them. Therefore no new videos

For the wildlife guys it is a step forward (global shutter, 120fps, pre-capture) but also a step backwards (higher noise, lower MP)

It is probably the perfect sports camera, because for sports usually resolution matters less. If print size is small (web, newspaper, magazines) then the lower noise performance matters less because printing small suppresses noise.

The advantages for flash photography is unfortunately IMO very limited.

At full power the T0.1 for an AD600 pro is not high (1/220s). For this reason trying to sync at high shutter speeds also leads to flash power loss. The base iso of 250 does not help either.

In the worst case an A1 can get 600ws on the subject at 1/200s and iso 100, while the A9iii has to use 1/500s and iso 250 to achieve the same background exposure... And the resultant flash power at 1/500s is lower than 600ws.

The A9iii does have some advantages when the background is bright enough such that the A1 requires ND filters.

The biggest advantage is that without the ND filter, the required flash power is lower so the recycle time is going to be much faster, and the demand on the battery will be lower, but this comes at the cost of lower resolution and higher noise. Overall its not worth buying an A9iii for regular flash photography, but the 120fps may have some value when trying to freeze action with flash.

It is also much cheaper to buy some leaf shutter camera for use when the sun is strong and strobes are too weak... which means outdoor group photos.

For example the Fujifilm X100VI has 1/4000s flash sync and a base iso of 125. This is better than the A9iii's base iso of 250, because your strobe's max power is going to be weaker at (iso 250 + 1/8000s) compared to (iso 125 + 1/4000s).

Apr 16, 2024 at 04:47 AM
Tony Ross
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

peterschwab wrote:
Hey fellow camera enthusiasts,

I wanted to spark a discussion about the Sony A9III. As an avid photographer, I've been eagerly awaiting the release of this camera, expecting to see a flood of exciting content showcasing its capabilities. However, to my surprise and disappointment, I've noticed a significant lack of new videos on YouTube featuring cool shots or photo shoots that utilize the A9III.

It's got me wondering: is nobody buying this camera? Has the hype died down before we've even seen what it can truly do? It's disheartening to see such little buzz surrounding what was initially anticipated to be a
...Show more

I'm not a "content creator". I'm not a YouTuber. I am a hobbyist taking photos for myself.

I bought an A9 III, and I am impressed.

I wonder if the negative comments are coming from people who have never tried one. Maybe they believed the negative commentary about "niche camera" and "limited DR"?

I don't know about you, but an awful lot of the photos I take are at ISOs above ISO 250, so I don't really see ISO 250 as a problem.

I don't see 24 megapixels as a problem - I shot images I still like using a 12.8 megapixel 5D. I admit, I did wonder about the 24 megapixels, but the files are seriously sharp (no AA filter) and clear (excellent focus and all pixels captured at once, so no chance of movement during shutter travel).

As for price - it's not cheap, but I've bought three other full frame cameras that cost more, and only one was a Leica!

I wonder if there are fewer reviews of it because reviewers don't want to take the time to review a camera that's different from other cameras in more ways than usual - a lot of cameras are quite similar, so the reviewer just has to look for what's different and take some pretty pictures.

I also wonder if the dearth of YouTube reviews reflects more on the YouTube reviewers, who have to keep coming out with new episodes to make money, so they can't afford to spend the time it takes to understand a new type of camera? You might find Gordon Laing's review interesting, though. I was entertained by Julia Trotti's review, too.

But there are definitely people who have bought themselves an A9 III, and they are taking photos. Some of those photos are impressive. Try looking on various camera sites, and you'll find them.

I think we may be past the bulk of the negativity about eh A9 III, and we should see more commentary about what the camera can do, as opposed to snide comments about what it can't (some of which are completely wrong). Serious reviewers will get a chance to gain an understanding of it. It may also get more commentary as other manfacturers release their "Olympics" cameras, and we get a chance to see what they have and how it compares.

I

Apr 16, 2024 at 06:10 AM
thoregil

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

Don't know about others, but 2024-02-24 was the date I could stop worrying about any LED banding and concentrate on getting the best concert photos.
https://thoregilphoto.com/

https://i0.wp.com/thoregilphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/ThorEgilLeirtro-Krokofant-208386.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/thoregilphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/ThorEgilLeirtro-Kim-Myhr-200088.jpg

Apr 16, 2024 at 06:18 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

Tony Ross wrote:
I wonder if the negative comments are coming from people who have never tried one. Maybe they believed the negative commentary about "niche camera" and "limited DR"?

Niche is defined as:

"a specialized segment of the market for a particular kind of product or service."

You don't believe the A9 III meets that description?

Apr 16, 2024 at 06:54 AM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

aCuria wrote:
I think the A9iii very specialized and expensive tool. Its not an all-rounder camera. The content creators got loaner cameras to make videos, and have since returned them. Therefore no new videos

For the wildlife guys it is a step forward (global shutter, 120fps, pre-capture) but also a step backwards (higher noise, lower MP)

It is probably the perfect sports camera, because for sports usually resolution matters less. If print size is small (web, newspaper, magazines) then the lower noise performance matters less because printing small suppresses noise.

The advantages for flash photography is unfortunately IMO very limited.

At full power the T0.1
...Show more

I don't think it's the perfect sports camera. Almost every sports shooter I know crops their images for final presentation. Most sports shooters I know think 30FPS is more than enough. I'm an outsider in some regards. I would love the option of more FPS. Because the a1 and a9 v3 are priced pretty closely, I think many sports shooters would go with the a1 over the a9 v3. If the price difference was a couple of thousand, you may get some getting the a9 v3 over the a1. But it's not. I've got 2 A1's for my sports work. I'm not trading one for an a9 v3. If it had maybe 40ish MP, I'd consider it. But far too many of my big field sports images need heavy crops, even with a 400mm, that I'd just be giving up too many pixels to downsize to the a9 v3.

The a9 v3 may be a great or nearly perfect basketball camera. Most shooters are not focal length limited and cropping is less of an issue as the action is relatively close. So maybe a perfect basketball camera and that is a pretty niche market.

Apr 16, 2024 at 07:23 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

Ive been doing this 50 years as a working Pro this cam maybe the best tech I have seen in those years. IT may not be exactly it as first generation but a major step in the right direction. Negative comments are from morons that most likely can't afford it or worse don't understand it. As a Pro fighting sync speed and LED banding are big major issues and this cam solved both issues plus more.

Apr 16, 2024 at 07:24 AM
randomguy
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

snapsy wrote:
Niche is defined as:

"a specialized segment of the market for a particular kind of product or service."

If you are going to define a niche or segment that the A9 III excels at compared to other cameras, it will be a pretty broad and varied one. It beats pretty much all other cameras on the market on most aspects other than on resolution and a little bit of noise doesn't it?

Apr 16, 2024 at 07:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dugaut
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

When I shot sports, I'd often use only 20 fps since culling and getting the images to the SID was the most important thing, so no advantage to me with higher frame rates. I would also shoot lose in order to avoid chopping of hands/feet/heads of fast randomly moving athletes and appreciated the higher mega pixel cameras for that. aCuria gets at the flash limitations the a93 could offer; you need fast flashes that can dump most of their power quickly instead of having a long tail. There is some benefit to zero rolling shutter but 4ms on the stacked sensors that aren't global is good enough.

All that said, maybe in five years most cameras will have global shutters and the engineers will have it working with high mega pixel sensors and it will be an afterthought.

Apr 16, 2024 at 07:35 AM
stuuke
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

GMPhotography wrote:
Ive been doing this 50 years as a working Pro this cam maybe the best tech I have seen in those years. IT may not be exactly it as first generation but a major step in the right direction. Negative comments are from morons that most likely can't afford it or worse don't understand it. As a Pro fighting sync speed and LED banding are big major issues and this cam solved both issues plus more.

Yep, now just give me powerful strobes that I can dial in color temp.

Apr 16, 2024 at 07:46 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

randomguy wrote:
If you are going to define a niche or segment that the A9 III excels at compared to other cameras, it will be a pretty broad and varied one. It beats pretty much all other cameras on the market on most aspects other than on resolution and a little bit of noise doesn't it?

Agreed, the A9 III excels compared to other cameras. Now let's define the subset of photographers who 1) specifically need or want what the A9 IIi excels at vs other cameras, ie no rolling shutter artifacts, the ability to sync at any flash speed, 120 fps, revised ergonomics and 2) can accept the A9 III's limitations vs other cameras, ie 24MP, base ISO of 250, 1EV higher noise, and a $6k/USD price tag.

Apr 16, 2024 at 07:50 AM
ruthenium
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

Those who could afford A9iii are present A1 owners, who are waiting for the A1ii.
Present A9iii owners are those who could afford the A1, A9iii, and wouldn't have problems buying A1ii. Few photographers have so much disposable cash.
Most people (even remotely) preparing to buy A1ii are not interested in the A9iii for the financial reasons.

Apr 16, 2024 at 07:57 AM
berimbolo
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

I'd get one if it was cheaper, but at that price point, I'm going to wait for the A1ii unless my second body dies.

Apr 16, 2024 at 08:05 AM
twodees
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

Sorely tempted but essentially I'd be buying it for pre-cap and AF improvements and common sense tells me that's a little daft.

The 2k premium over a9ii put me off for a start and with the a1 now at 5,750 or so a9iii is the more expensive camera (6,100).

24Mp is a moot point, I could work with that. The DR is a9 level which is fine and much of the time I'm in four figure ISOs so a base of 250 is neither here nor there.

I haven't seen any reviews in conditions I'm regularly working in (by which I mean generally wet, windy and overcast UK conditions, crawling around on muddy riverbanks) though I could have missed them.

Apr 16, 2024 at 08:34 AM
lightskyland
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

There are two primary use cases for dedicated still photography: action and still-life/landscape.

The A9III is the best camera for the first use case, by a LOT. It is not remotely the best for the second use case, but the A7RV / ACR compete very well in that category.

Yes, there are some niche birding scenarios where a high pixel density sensor is better than the much higher frame rate and much more accurate AF the A9III brings to the table, but generally speaking the A9III rules the action still niche (and perhaps also the action video niche as well).

Edited on Apr 16, 2024 at 08:42 AM · View previous versions

Apr 16, 2024 at 08:38 AM
lightskyland
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

GMPhotography wrote:

Morons is a bit rough, but yes I agree with you, this tech just stomps over everything else for subjects-in-motion photography. In so many ways.

Apr 16, 2024 at 08:41 AM
lightskyland
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

snapsy wrote:
Niche is defined as:

I think the A9III is a significantly better general use camera than anything else out there.

The highest-resolution max DR people are much more of a niche than the masses of people buying cameras who want totally easy and accurate AF in photo and video without weird still and motion artifacts.

I'm a landscape photographer primarily, but I know I'm in the small minority who is better off with an ACR / A7R5 than an A9III.

The A1 is a nice compromise but the A9III just a lot more capable for anything that moves with pre-capture, 120FPS, more AF accuracy, and zero motion artifacts (as well as no rolling shutter in video!).

In focus destroys 10-20% more real-life resolution of action subjects in the best case.

The precise decisive moment / subject positioning destroys an invisible slight S/N superiority.

Apr 16, 2024 at 08:57 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Is the Sony A9iii hype fading away?

Well to each his own of course, but A9III (or II for that matter) is a definition of a niche product to me ...

Apr 16, 2024 at 09:24 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.