New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Fast recycle time flash on location?

PatrickSweeney
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fast recycle time flash on location?

Iím looking for a flash unit I can use on location with a fast recycle time.

I only need about 1/128 or 1/64 power of a speed gun, but it has to keep up at 10+ fps.

Iíve tried an external battery booster (Canon 8-cell AA batteries) and it isnít up to it.

Apr 15, 2024 at 01:45 AM
aCuria
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fast recycle time flash on location?

I have not had to use this function, but on the AD600 Pro, there is some mask setting that lets you do this.

The idea is to fire one group of strobes for shot n=1, another group of strobes for shot n=2 and so on. I think you can have up to 4 groups.

This way, even if you are shooting at 10fps, each group of strobes is only running at 2.5fps.

The AD200 can do this too, but only with 2 groups

If you can run mains power, theres the QT series strobes which refresh very quickly

https://www.godox.com/product-d/QTIII.html

Apr 15, 2024 at 04:45 AM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fast recycle time flash on location?

Not cheap, but a Profoto B1X can do up to 20 flashes per second. The caveat is that continued use will shorten the life of the flash tube and capacitor.

Apr 15, 2024 at 06:51 AM
PatrickSweeney
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fast recycle time flash on location?

No mains where Iíll be.

Apr 15, 2024 at 07:24 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fast recycle time flash on location?

PatrickSweeney wrote:

I only need about 1/128 or 1/64 power of a speed gun, but it has to keep up at 10+ fps.

Iíve tried an external battery booster (Canon 8-cell AA batteries) and it isnít up to it.

The PCB Celestial will go that low in flash power and in theory would be able to flash that fast at such a low power. I suppose it would depend on how may pops you need in a row.

You could contact them, phone or email is generally quick turnaround: https://www.paulcbuff.com/contact-us

Please let us know how the call goes.

Apr 15, 2024 at 03:19 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fast recycle time flash on location?

The AD600Pros keep up with 10fps at 1/16 power IIRC.

Apr 15, 2024 at 05:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fast recycle time flash on location?

PatrickSweeney wrote:

Are you doing stroboscopic shooting with one exposure and multiple flashes? Or 10fps burst exposure with one flash per image?

I can get 10fps bursts at 1/64 power on the Godox V1. One pop per frame. I don't do that very often as it is really hard on the flash. Godox specs claim you can get 50 1/64 pops at 10hz. I've done 5 or 6 pops in a burst before letting it rest. And no, I'm not going to test 50. I have seen stroboscopic jobs kill flashes before. So use those features judiciously.

The newer V1 Pro model claims the same 50 @ 1/64 limit. But, the over temperature limit is supposed to be 3x higher so it may be more tolerant of longer bursts. You can also use an external battery pack on the V1 Pro. That's supposed to improve recycle times. I don't know if it would change the burst rates though.

Apr 15, 2024 at 08:35 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fast recycle time flash on location?

PatrickSweeney wrote:

Previously I suggested the Celestial. That may have been over-thinking. The Nikon SB-5000 will do 28 shots in a row at 10hz at 1/64-1/128 (page C-20 of the reference manual), and 24 shots up to 100hz. It should work fine on a Canon body (if that's what you have) if all but the centre pin is taped over.

But I'm quite interested in what PCB has to say about the Celestial. I have one, maybe I'll run a test this weekend.

Apr 15, 2024 at 09:09 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fast recycle time flash on location?

What Canon flash are you using? I just tried one of my old 600EX-RT v1 units, with 4x NiMH AA batteries and was able to do ~50 consecutive 1/64 flashes at ~12fps with my R6II with only one or two brief pauses. This flash can be hooked up to an external HV battery like the Godox PB980, which will effectively give you endless sequences at this power output. The 600EX-RT does have thermal throttling, but I've found it takes a while to hit it, and when it does, a simple off/on of the unit resets it for a good while. Not sure how quickly you'd hit throttling at 1/64 and 10fps.

I also tried my Canon EL-5 unit, which uses an internal lithium pack in place of 4xAA, and was able to shoot pretty much endlessly at 1/64 and 12fps. But this flash has the new Canon multi-function foot which will not work with cameras older than the R3, R7, R6II, R8. However, it's a near clone of the much more expensive EL-1, which has the 'old style' standard Canon flash foot, uses the same lithium battery pack and has active cooling. I've used the EL-1 at various events and it's a workhorse unit - never got it to overheat, whereas my 600EX-RTs always would. It's very expensive for an on-camera flash and somewhat large and heavy, but as mentioned, it's a workhorse.

For your existing flash, what batteries do you use? If alkaline, switch to decent NiMH ones, like Envelop. Apparently the IKEA 2450 mAh cells are from the same factory as the Eneloops. Rumors were the Amazon Basics high capacity NiMH were too, but not sure if it's still the case. A set of NiMH in the flash plus in the 8-cell external pack should be able to keep up. If you're already using NiMH, then I'm a bit surprised it's not working.

Apr 18, 2024 at 03:40 PM
PatrickSweeney
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fast recycle time flash on location?

I've been using the Canon 580 series, as well as some chinese knock-offs of the same.

The 600 is radio-control, correct? So my old (geez, I have "legacy" gear to spare) IR controller won't work.

Well, I guess the new R body deserves something newer than the old 580s.

for the batteries, I've been running Eneloops, in the flash and in the Canon 8-cell external pack.

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:41 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fast recycle time flash on location?

Yup, check your Canon speedlights before considering of any other exotic solutions. Given your low power need, you can look at the Stella Pro Reflex S. As a LED, it can give you bursts at max power with virtually no recycling time. Because of that, I have not had any misfires with these lights. Bonus point is that the flash duration is a constant at 1/2000s at any power.

Or simply come to the Sony land, where you have a guaranteed support for 30fps 1st party flash support on the A9III

May 02, 2024 at 12:18 AM
PatrickSweeney
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fast recycle time flash on location?

The Ste4lla Pro is attractive, but for the cost I could get a bunch more gear of a slightly older generation.

And as attractive as the Sony-verse is, I've got a lot of Canon gear I'd have to replace, and I'd be years breaking even.

May 02, 2024 at 01:56 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.