Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

What's the best cheap astro lens in 2024?

Max_Pain
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What's the best cheap astro lens in 2024?

I'm sorry to FredMiranda.com and it's users that I come and go and i'm absent for several years at a time

Last time I was shooting astrophotography, the lens to have was the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 manual focus because it was wide, it was fast, it was CHEAP, and it kept your stars as points with minimal distortion.

That's at least 8 years ago now. What are we all using for astro on Canon EF systems now? I'm getting the urge to go back out there at ungodly hours and try to photograph the Milky Way again. Maybe take my kids with me this time.

Not looking to spend L money on this endeavor.

Thanks!

Apr 14, 2024 at 08:27 PM
Whisle
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What's the best cheap astro lens in 2024?

I use the Irix Blackstone 15mm 2.4 that works very well for me.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2p8iU1m]Bodie Late Season MW by Clyde Cornett

Apr 15, 2024 at 06:44 AM
matthewsaville
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What's the best cheap astro lens in 2024?

Unfortunately, all the most awesome, up-to-date stuff is on mirrorless, where significant milestones have become possible for wide-angle and fast-aperture glass, both in terms of image quality and affordability. The Canon RF 24mm f/1.8, for example, is stellar; almost as good as the even lighter and cheaper (but only on Sony E mount) Rokinon/Samyang 24mm f/1.8. That lens really has no business being that sharp for that price!

For Canon EF, the latest Rokinon/Samyang 14mm lenses (made for DSLRs at least) are still some of the best. If you had Canon L money, I wouldn't even suggest spending it on any EF L lens, the Rokinon 14mm f/2.4 is the hands-down champion of value VS image quality for DSLRs. If ~$700 is within your eyesight, I strongly recommend saving up for it.

Otherwise, the other 14mm f/2.8's that are made for DSLRs are also awesome; there's an AF version for just $500 (I guess that's only if you can get the staggering $300 instant savings, though) plus a "Series 2" version of the manual focus lens.

If you value portability and price, none of the other ultra-wides come close, they're all heavy behemoths that don't really offer that much extra sharpness.

(I've tested the Irix, the Sigma 14mm f/1.8, and many more. I review camera gear for a living now...)

All in all, I'd always try to convince people to upgrade to full-frame mirrorless if they're into astro-landscape photography, because the zooms and primes are both a huge milestone ahead of what was possible on DSLRs. However, the lenses I mentioned above are still truly impressive and an excellent value indeed.

Apr 17, 2024 at 03:49 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What's the best cheap astro lens in 2024?

Thank you!

Mirrorless is in the distant future for us but it's in the future. For now i'd like to get something that I can use on my Canon EF cameras. I'll look at the Rokinon 14mm. That's what I used to have back in the day, although i don't remember paying $700 for it.

Apr 17, 2024 at 03:54 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What's the best cheap astro lens in 2024?

I'd start with your 24-105L and work your way up from there if necessary.

Apr 17, 2024 at 04:15 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What's the best cheap astro lens in 2024?

I find it necessary to be way wider than 24mm and brighter than f/4.
I've shot quite a bit of astro. I just had a "moment" where I sold most of my equipment, including my lovely Rokinon 14mm f/2.8. I'm wanting to get that or better quality now. But no way can I live with a 24mm f/4 image.

Living in Miami it's hard to get away from light pollution, but here's a selfie with the Milky Way

Apr 17, 2024 at 05:44 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What's the best cheap astro lens in 2024?

No apologies necessary, welcome back.

Tamron 35/1.4 is by far the best bang-for-the-buck astro lens out there, quality nearly that of the 40mm Art, at nearly half the price. We all start shooting astro around 14mm (the 'beginner astro lens' category), and then once we realize how little light we are actually collecting, move on to narrower fields of view.

Apr 17, 2024 at 05:48 PM
Whisle
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What's the best cheap astro lens in 2024?

Jeff wrote:
No apologies necessary, welcome back.

Tamron 35/1.4 is by far the best bang-for-the-buck astro lens out there, quality nearly that of the 40mm Art, at nearly half the price. We all start shooting astro around 14mm (the 'beginner astro lens' category), and then once we realize how little light we are actually collecting, move on to narrower fields of view.

I also have the Tamron 35/1.4 and yes it's good for astro and it's very sharpe.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2pexFix]Another Night With Bodie by Clyde Cornett

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What's the best cheap astro lens in 2024?

amazing!

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:08 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What's the best cheap astro lens in 2024?

The Rokinon lenses are great, if well centered. I had to return a couple before I found a sweet one.
The Tamron wide zoom is what I have gathering dust now. It's more expensive and heavier, but I can do more with it.

Apr 18, 2024 at 07:32 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What's the best cheap astro lens in 2024?

Another vote for the Rokinon 14mm 1.8.

Looks like a popular MW Lighthouse.

May 09, 2024 at 09:00 AM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What's the best cheap astro lens in 2024?

What is 'cheap', to you?

I'd consider the Tamron 35/1.4 to be the best bang-for-the-buck astro lens out there. Compared to the Sigma 14/1.8 Art or the RF85/1.2 it is 'cheap', but perhaps not compared to the Rokinon lottery lenses.

May 12, 2024 at 08:12 AM
AZHeaven
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What's the best cheap astro lens in 2024?

If you go mirrorless at some point, look at the Viltrox 16mm f1.8. Dustin Abbott gave it a glowing (no pun) review. And I bought one based on a pro friends recommendation and Dustins review. Though I missed the aurora Friday due to exhaustion. And last night was a no show.

May 13, 2024 at 08:36 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What's the best cheap astro lens in 2024?

Just SUPER compositions all gentlemen!!!!!
All the lenses used here do the job quite well!

Again well done all!
Dan

May 13, 2024 at 10:29 AM
matthewsaville
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What's the best cheap astro lens in 2024?

If you're still on Canon EF, then, quite honestly, the Rokinon options are still basically the best! There's an AF version of the 14mm f/2.8 now, and it is shockingly good even at f/2.8. The manual focus is also very respectable, since Canon DSLRs just seem to have done the "fly by wire" electronic focusing very well since day one.

You mentioned budget and image quality, but you didn't mention portability. That was one of the other key reasons why I personally loved the old Roki-Yang 14mm f/2.8 UMC's, they were just tiny! Nothing compares, to this day, except maybe the AF version I mentioned.

If weight/size isn't really a problem, however, then you can spend a little more money and get the absolute best (DSLR mount, that is) 14mm prime on the market, the Rokinon 14mm f/2.4 SP. I compared it against the behemoth Sigma 14mm f/1.8, and I honestly preferred the smaller, lighter, and cheaper Rokinon 14mm f/2.4.

Mirrorless is a whole different beast, though, so if that is in your future, you've got a lot more options to look forward to, of course!

It also depends on how much of a pixel-peeper you actually are, BTW. I do gear reviews full-time and I also do astro-landscape photography, so, I'm pretty obsessed with corner image quality. Many of the other recommended lenses here, I would flat-out not recommend, but, for most folks, they're probably excellent. If you're never going to make a mural-sized print of your imagery, then it's all really a moot point. (But then again, that would be another reason why the AF Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 for EF is the best choice! Light, compact, affordable, and great image quality...)

May 18, 2024 at 12:41 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.