Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4       5       end

Best Alternative to Adobe for Stills Processing?

snegron7
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Best Alternative to Adobe for Stills Processing?

RoamingScott wrote:
If I don't have internet for 99 days, I'll be bitching about something other than Adobe

People just love to whine.

During Hurricane Ian we lost internet access for almost 4 months!! No home internet providers were available at all, so I was only able to access the internet through my cellphone (and no, my cellphone service does not include a hotspot). Adobe is not set up for us monthly subscribers to "log in" via our cellphones despite having the Lightroom Mobile App. I called Adobe customer service and their response was that they couldn't assist me.

There were plenty of pics I took after the storm (of damage to my property) that I couldn't process thanks to Adobe's ridiculous "rule".

My main question is this; If Adobe receives a monthly payment from me, why do I have to log in?? Netflix is a monthly subscription and they don't require me to log in. Same with all the other subscription services I pay every month. There is no logical reason for Adobe to require these log ins other than to obstruct and inconvenience customers.

Apr 16, 2024 at 02:48 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Best Alternative to Adobe for Stills Processing?

snegron7 wrote:
During Hurricane Ian we lost internet access for almost 4 months!! No home internet providers were available at all, so I was only able to access the internet through my cellphone (and no, my cellphone service does not include a hotspot). Adobe is not set up for us monthly subscribers to "log in" via our cellphones despite having the Lightroom Mobile App. I called Adobe customer service and their response was that they couldn't assist me.

There were plenty of pics I took after the storm (of damage to my property) that I couldn't process thanks to Adobe's ridiculous "rule".
...Show more

Adobe software is checking to see if your subscription is active, just like every other online service, just like Netflix. What a very very strange and bad analogy.

This is what is called cutting your nose off to spite your face. This is the world we live in now.

Apr 16, 2024 at 02:58 PM
snegron7
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Best Alternative to Adobe for Stills Processing?

RoamingScott wrote:
Adobe software is checking to see if your subscription is active, just like every other online service, just like Netflix. What a very very strange and bad analogy.

Not really. I have had Netflix for years, and the only time they ask me to log in is whenever I purchase a new device and load Netflix onto it.

If you are pre-paying for a service a month in advance (like Netflix, some cellphone service carriers, etc.), why should you constantly be asked to log in?? It's a very simple rule; pay to play. If your monthly payment doesn't go through for whatever reason, then the subscription service (like Adobe) can prevent you from accessing their services. Think about it. Don't pay Netflix on time and watch how they cut your access to their services. Same with the cable bill, cellphone bill, and pretty much every subscription service on the planet. Adobe didn't invent subscription services. One would assume that Adobe only hires intelligent people, therefore this subscription log-in requirement has to be intentional. "Making sure it's me" is not a valid reason. It's MY credit card that pays the monthly subscription bill, MY computer that accesses it.

Apr 16, 2024 at 03:12 PM
The Rat
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Best Alternative to Adobe for Stills Processing?

FWIW I've been very happy with DxO Photolab for 95% of my needs, only using Adobe stuff for focus stacks/HDR merges/panorama merges.

Apr 16, 2024 at 03:37 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Best Alternative to Adobe for Stills Processing?

snegron7 wrote:
Not really. I have had Netflix for years, and the only time they ask me to log in is whenever I purchase a new device and load Netflix onto it.

If you are pre-paying for a service a month in advance (like Netflix, some cellphone service carriers, etc.), why should you constantly be asked to log in?? It's a very simple rule; pay to play. If your monthly payment doesn't go through for whatever reason, then the subscription service (like Adobe) can prevent you from accessing their services. Think about it. Don't pay Netflix on time and watch how they
...Show more

You DO realize that your Netflix login token (cached) exists in the background and that you ARE logging in every single time you use the app...right? This is exactly what Adobe products do unless you've been offline long enough to pop the warning.

On second thought...your worldview on apps, services and subscriptions is so backwards I'm not assuming anything.

Apr 16, 2024 at 03:38 PM
snegron7
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Best Alternative to Adobe for Stills Processing?

RoamingScott wrote:
You DO realize that your Netflix login token (cached) exists in the background and that you ARE logging in every single time you use the app...right? This is exactly what Adobe products do unless you've been offline long enough to pop the warning.

On second thought...your worldview on apps, services and subscriptions is so backwards I'm not assuming anything.

😀

Apr 16, 2024 at 03:44 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Best Alternative to Adobe for Stills Processing?

snegron7 wrote:

...Show more

I guess in your awful but unique situation no software would have helped. You couldn't post images on any forums and if you had customers you would have had to mail CD's or sticks to any that weren't close by. Otherwise just save up files for when you could get on the grid again.

I would not want to go through that. If I did I'd just use Canon's DPP, Photos or something else temporarily if LrC had gone down. Still couldn't post anything so not sure if would even do that.

Apr 16, 2024 at 04:22 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Best Alternative to Adobe for Stills Processing?

snegron7 wrote:

If you are pre-paying for a service a month in advance (like Netflix, some cellphone service carriers, etc.), why should you constantly be asked to log in?? It's a very simple rule; pay to play. If your monthly payment doesn't go through for whatever reason, then the subscription service (like Adobe) can prevent you from accessing their services. Think about it. Don't pay Netflix on time and watch how they
...Show more

Every time you use Netflix it verifies you are a subscriber. Adobe only verifies this once in 99 days.

Apr 16, 2024 at 04:40 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Best Alternative to Adobe for Stills Processing?

chez wrote:
Every time you use Netflix it verifies you are a subscriber. Adobe only verifies this once in 99 days.

Perfect. Iíll be shooting in the jungles of Borneo for 98 days. 😀

Apr 16, 2024 at 05:00 PM
SGinNorcal
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Best Alternative to Adobe for Stills Processing?

I don't like subscriptions and I wanted to use something other than LR/PS. I have C1 23 version and like it very much. This version brought in pan stitching which is valuable to me although that feature has some issues on my Xt-5 while working perfectly on Gfx files, not sure why. It also has a strange bug where it export files to a different directory than specified. But other than those quirks, it has been working well for me.

Apr 16, 2024 at 05:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

snegron7
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Best Alternative to Adobe for Stills Processing?

chez wrote:

I used Netflix 15 times this past weekend. Not once did I have to enter my password or login credentials. Why does Adobe purposely refuse to use the same, simple technology Netflix uses? It's not about engineering costs either. Adobe is a big company. Last year they made close to 19 billion dollars. Smaller companies like Curiosity Stream had a total net sales fugure of around 14 million last year, yet they use the same seamless login feature that Netflix uses. Also, Adobe Pro for office use uses the same seamless login features like Netflix and others. In other words, Adobe Pro does not ask for your password every 90 days. If Adobe Pro can do it (they are part of the whole Adobe company as the name implies), then Adobe has the technology to not have to ask for you to log in every 90 days, but knowingly, intentionally forces you to do so if you want to access Photoshop.

I really don't understand where the cofusion/misunderstanding is here. Asking me to have to enter my login credentials and password every 90 days is ridiculous and serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever. If every other subscription service in the world, including Adobe Pro, can verify me every time I open their program, why does Adobe (photo editing division) refuse to do this??

Apr 16, 2024 at 05:49 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Best Alternative to Adobe for Stills Processing?

snegron7 wrote:
I used Netflix 15 times this past weekend. Not once did I have to enter my password or login credentials. Why does Adobe purposely refuse to use the same, simple technology Netflix uses? It's not about engineering costs either. Adobe is a big company. Last year they made close to 19 billion dollars. Smaller companies like Curiosity Stream had a total net sales fugure of around 14 million last year, yet they use the same seamless login feature that Netflix uses. Also, Adobe Pro for office use uses the same seamless login features like Netflix and others. In other words,
...Show more

I'm going to guess that Adobe's practices have more to do with anti-piracy than anything else and that's the reason it has to phone home periodically, but seriously, it does so completely transparently to you. Maybe I had to sign in when I first set up my Adobe CC account online (maybe, because I don't remember) but I've never had to actually enter a user name or password since and I've never been aware of if or even when those phone calls home to mama happened. Maybe it's the CC app itself, but at least when you're using Safari on a Mac, (and presumably FF on a PC) the login and passwords are all saved in the password protected passwords folder in the browser so logging into your Adobe account is automatic and seamless as well.

Is this really the hill you want to make your stand on? It really is not all that complicated.

Apr 16, 2024 at 06:02 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Best Alternative to Adobe for Stills Processing?

snegron7 wrote:
I used Netflix 15 times this past weekend. Not once did I have to enter my password or login credentials. Why does Adobe purposely refuse to use the same, simple technology Netflix uses? It's not about engineering costs either. Adobe is a big company. Last year they made close to 19 billion dollars. Smaller companies like Curiosity Stream had a total net sales fugure of around 14 million last year, yet they use the same seamless login feature that Netflix uses. Also, Adobe Pro for office use uses the same seamless login features like Netflix and others. In other words,
...Show more

The only time I had to enter my password was when I moved to a new computer and had to install my Adobe products. Since then, everything is transparent, behind the scenes, not once needing to enter a password. You seem to have things all f*cked up on your system. You should not have to log in after the initial setup.

Apr 16, 2024 at 06:28 PM
ruthenium
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Best Alternative to Adobe for Stills Processing?

snegron7 wrote:
...Show more

They are probably checking if you are alive 😀
It would be unethical to charge you for the subscription if you were dead!

Apr 16, 2024 at 06:58 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Best Alternative to Adobe for Stills Processing?

chez wrote:
The only time I had to enter my password was when I moved to a new computer and had to install my Adobe products. Since then, everything is transparent, behind the scenes, not once needing to enter a password. You seem to have things all f*cked up on your system. You should not have to log in after the initial setup.

Ditto. I can't believe all this whining about having to login every 90 days. That sounds just like owners whining that their new camera won't do this or that, when it is really the new owner not having a clue what they are doing because they have not even read their owner's manual.

I have to log-in every time I do on-line banking. I have to log-in every time I want to access my health care info. I have to log-in every time I use PayPal. I even have to log-in on this site every time I clear my computer's history, and at random times that FM determines. Boo hoo, boo hoo, what a complicated process to go through just because those sites are concerned about security.

P.S. Nobody should quote me, lest you be accused of being a saboteur.

Apr 16, 2024 at 07:34 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Best Alternative to Adobe for Stills Processing?

I've seen enough elsewhere that I don't find software that requires you to get online periodically, apparently in part to go on your computer and mess with your stuff, very appealing

After seeing they'd taken the option to save as a jpeg easily, even for a short time, makes me glad I never bought into it.

Apr 16, 2024 at 11:34 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Best Alternative to Adobe for Stills Processing?

AmbientMike wrote:
After seeing they'd taken the option to save as a jpeg easily, even for a short time, makes me glad I never bought into it.

As myself and others have said, we have never had that problem for one second.

If you have not used the software yourself and had such a problem, you are just posting hearsay.

And if you know of any software that has never had a single glitch, well

Apr 16, 2024 at 11:39 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Best Alternative to Adobe for Stills Processing?

Imagemaster wrote:
As myself and others have said, we have never had that problem for one second.

If you have not used the software yourself and had such a problem, you are just posting hearsay.

And if you know of any software that has never had a single glitch, well

It has been corroborated on this thread and that's just one example,, other examples given

Apr 16, 2024 at 11:54 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Best Alternative to Adobe for Stills Processing?

AmbientMike wrote:
It has been corroborated on this thread and that's just one example,, other examples given

So what? Is that a proven fault with Photoshop, or user error, or incompatibility, or a glitch just like most software has at times.

The fact is that thousands have been using Photoshop for many years longer than other photo PP software, and photographers have been happy with its performance.

You can complain about glitches with most software. That's life and a fact.

Apr 17, 2024 at 12:16 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Best Alternative to Adobe for Stills Processing?

I have also read that ON1 can read LrC edits and add its own version to the files it opens or imports. Not sure it imports. I don't know much about it or if that would be very important to me. The LrC catalogue would be there forever with all my edits. The question was/is what do you do when you stop subscribing and lose the Develop module. If stopped subscribing then I would move on to a new developer. NoNoise and Tack Sharp are appealing to me but I'd have to test the rest of if out.

Heck there have been days I thought I may go back to Canon's DPP and get Affinity to finish things off but Adobe has not ticked me off yet.

Apr 17, 2024 at 08:48 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.