New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Leica SL2-S focus and zoom dark flashes when in Cine mode

Samana76

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica SL2-S focus and zoom dark flashes when in Cine mode

Hello Everyone,

I am encountering an issue with my Leica SL2-S and all three of the my Leica SL zoom lenses: Super-Vario-Elmar-SL 16-35 f/3.5-4.5 ASPH (this is the one used in this video), Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90 f/2.8-4 ASPH, and the APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90-280 f/2.8-4.

When filming in Cine mode, with the aperture wide open, and rack focusing, the aperture randomly closes, slightly, for an instance producing dark flashes in the recording. A faint clicking sound can be heard from inside the lenses, indicating the aperture is closing. This does not appear to happen when switching the camera to Video mode.

The flashing also occurs, much more frequent, when zooming. This happens in both Cine and Video modes and at any aperture, even if the aperture does not change between the wide focal length and the zoomed focal length.
I don't know if this is a bug in the camera firmware, the lens firmware, or a problem specific to this singular camera. I have uploaded a video on YouTube, and am posting this message here, to ask the Leica SL2 community if anyone else has encountered this issue.

Please take a moment to watch the 5 minute video and let me know if your SL2 or SL2-S, with any of the aforementioned zoom lenses, produce the same results.

Thank you for taking the time to see this video and comment.

https://youtu.be/E5uA4nWShCw

Apr 13, 2024 at 02:33 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica SL2-S focus and zoom dark flashes when in Cine mode

Samana76 wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I am encountering an issue with my Leica SL2-S and all three of the my Leica SL zoom lenses: Super-Vario-Elmar-SL 16-35 f/3.5-4.5 ASPH (this is the one used in this video), Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90 f/2.8-4 ASPH, and the APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90-280 f/2.8-4.

When filming in Cine mode, with the aperture wide open, and rack focusing, the aperture randomly closes, slightly, for an instance producing dark flashes in the recording. A faint clicking sound can be heard from inside the lenses, indicating the aperture is closing. This does not appear to happen when switching the camera to Video mode.

The flashing also occurs, much
...Show more

I don't have an SL2-S to test this myself, but I suggest informing Leica about this issue. If it's a bug related to Cine mode, they should be able to address and correct it.

Apr 19, 2024 at 02:34 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.