FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Monument Valley

keepclicking
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Monument Valley

A late afternoon drive from Moab to Monument Valley last month took a dramatic turn. As I neared the park hotel, winds howled and a downpour unleashed its fury. Limited to a one-night stay, I braved the elements, venturing out to the hotel's main viewpoint for a few photos. The wind and rain soon forced me to retreat, but not before I capturing couple of shots.

The next morning, I awoke eager to photograph the sunrise over the valley. Unfortunately, a night of heavy rain rendered the dirt roads impassable (for me). Confined to the hotel viewpoint again, I found the scene transformed. Heavy clouds and fog blanketed the landscape, and the temperature had dipped significantly. Yet, a sliver of sunlight pierced through the dramatic clouds, illuminating the valley floor.

Here are some of the images I came up with during my visit. Thanks for viewing, and I welcome all comments and feedback!

Welcome to Monument Valley - Forrest Gump spot as per Google!!

Monument Valley classic view in rain and crazy winds!! - Sunset

Monument Valley classic view when I first got to the visitor center view point - Sunrise

Splash of light on valley floor

Monument Valley view on cold morning at sunrise after all night of rain

Monument Valley

Apr 12, 2024 at 01:53 PM
Ross Martin
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Monument Valley

Parul, I love the moody atmosphere! A compelling set.

Apr 12, 2024 at 01:58 PM
keepclicking
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Monument Valley

Thanks Ross. Yes, it was definitely moody and glad to know that the photos captured the mood. I wish I was staying another night🙄

Ross Martin wrote:
Parul, I love the moody atmosphere! A compelling set.

Apr 14, 2024 at 12:35 PM
1970_gto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Monument Valley

Another great location on my bucket list!

Apr 29, 2024 at 02:33 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Monument Valley

Lovely place and conditions. Too many similar images for me.

Apr 29, 2024 at 07:19 PM
keepclicking
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Monument Valley

1970_gto wrote:
Another great location on my bucket list!

Yes, this is an excellent location. If you go and are staying at the view hotel, you can get a list of Navajo guides available for private tour. I think that would give you access to locations that one can't go by themselves.
---------------------------------------------

Jeffrey wrote:
Lovely place and conditions. Too many similar images for me.

Thanks for pointing that out Jeffrey, I did make a mistake The last image is a duplicate. Images look similar as I photographed from visitor center only. This was the intended image.

Monument Valley sunrise after storm

Apr 30, 2024 at 04:25 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Monument Valley

Parul - I have been absent from here for a while. You were lucky to get something different in terms of weather conditions and mood. Splendid!

May 06, 2024 at 03:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Hathaway
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Monument Valley

Like the change of pace in the weather conditions. I would consider brightening a number of these images as at least on my monitor they appear quite dark. If you have the exposure latitude it will help add some interest to the landscape if you can at least lift the shadows a bit. Bob

May 06, 2024 at 10:10 AM
keepclicking
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Monument Valley

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
Parul - I have been absent from here for a while. You were lucky to get something different in terms of weather conditions and mood. Splendid!

Thanks Rajan and definitely missed your posts. Glad you are back posting. Yes, the weather was just crazy and with limited time I stayed put at visitor center for photos.

Hathaway wrote:
Like the change of pace in the weather conditions. I would consider brightening a number of these images as at least on my monitor they appear quite dark. If you have the exposure latitude it will help add some interest to the landscape if you can at least lift the shadows a bit. Bob

Thanks for your feedback Bob, I obviously could have brightened up the image but this is how the scene was as there were thick fog and cloud cover when I first got to visitor center for sunrise. Hence, I left is as is.

May 09, 2024 at 05:31 PM
bonnyrcl
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Monument Valley

Beautiful pictures!!

John

May 10, 2024 at 04:16 AM
Al Trujillo
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Monument Valley

Great set of images!

Its rather unfortunate though that area planners can't see how the beauty of the area is diminished by placing so many signs along the road (first image).

May 10, 2024 at 09:29 AM
keepclicking
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Monument Valley

bonnyrcl wrote:
Beautiful pictures!!

John

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed viewing it.

Al Trujillo wrote:
Great set of images!

Its rather unfortunate though that area planners can't see how the beauty of the area is diminished by placing so many signs along the road (first image).

Thanks Al!
To be quite honest with you, I started working on removing all the posts and signs but then at the end decided to leave it as is. As those signs are not going away anytime soon! It's a great location to photograph but quite dangerous too as cars are just zipping by you. There are way too many people pulling over on the side of the road instead of parking at a dedicated spot.

May 15, 2024 at 05:56 PM
jaggedhorizon
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Monument Valley

These are seriously good - way to use the conditions to get some unusual shots!

May 24, 2024 at 04:00 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.