New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              end

SL3-S ... Something to watch for ???

stgrove
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · SL3-S ... Something to watch for ???

flash wrote:
Iím not actually sure if youíre referring to me? Or RustyBug?

Could you, maybe, expand what youíre saying as I didnít get it and Iím not sure how to respond.

I will say that the sensor thing is rubbish. What is a *best* sensor. Best IQ? Thatís currently the M11M, M11 and maybe SL3 in ALL small format cameras with high resolution. Fastest? Yep. Definitely not. Colour? In small format a few would argue the old M9 has the best colour of any sensor. Me? I like the SL2 and SL3 over the other brands in 24x36. So in 2 out of
...Show more

What about the Q3 sensor?

Apr 17, 2024 at 08:57 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · SL3-S ... Something to watch for ???

stgrove wrote:
What about the Q3 sensor?

To be honest I have yet to try the Q3 against the others in any meaningful way, so I didn't mention it. Until recently I didn't have my own one (K has one since launch but you try and get her to give it up for a few days ). Finally got my own one in Vietnam (the store had a few in stock!!) about a week after getting the SL3. I have shot them side by side by not in a way where I was comparing them. More I had a 50mm on the SL3 and the Q3 was my *28*mm.

I've heard some say the Q3 doesn't do as well as the M11 due to the PDAF pixels. They say the same for the A7R5. I don't see that much if any difference between the SL3 and M11 in the real world. So, I suspect the Q3 is very close as well. It feels very close from my last couple of weeks with it. Maybe there's half a hair of difference? Likely other factors will be more important. I'll guess the A7R5 is the same. The only real comparisons I've done with the M11 and the Sony were the IBIS and EVF.

Next week I hope to get some more real-world testing does against cameras like the Q3 and A7R5. Mostly I've been seeing how close it gets to the X2D. I expect that I'm REALLY going to have to push hard to see anything. I'm also dreading doing it because I know someone will put up a chart to try and prove what I know I'm seeing wrong. Likely someone with none of the gear in question....

But I can already say that the sensor IQ isn't a meaningful differentiator between any of these cameras. Everything else will make a more significant difference. I'm not going through lightroom and wondering what all the crappy shots are from the Q3. Unless I look at the exif I can't really say which camera shot what (I did have other 28mm options for the SL3).

Gordon

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:15 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · SL3-S ... Something to watch for ???

flash wrote:
To be honest I have yet to try the Q3 against the others in any meaningful way, so I didn't mention it. Until recently I didn't have my own one (K has one since launch but you try and get her to give it up for a few days ). Finally got my own one in Vietnam (the store had a few in stock!!) about a week after getting the SL3. I have shot them side by side by not in a way where I was comparing them. More I had a 50mm on the SL3 and the Q3
...Show more

I don't know if my eyes are good enough to pick up the nuance difference of an M11, SL3 and Q3 ... well, maybe I should say I'd expect the differences to be within the margin of error that is far beneath the threshold of meaningful observation to most viewers.

And, the latitude of what folks do in post ... will totally obliterate the nuance of those differences. But, I don't own any of them, so I can't really comment to them, just I'd be surprised to find enough difference in the sensor to sway me into one body or the other. The differences in the FORM FACTOR and FEATURES of the camera(s) ... those are tangible differences that (imo) are far greater diff's than what I'd expect of "Gen 3" sibling sensors. The caveat to that being some M lenses may see some difference, but even that I think Leica has narrowed the difference significantly.

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:17 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.