Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Looking for decent looking back drops for portraits.

newyork
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for decent looking back drops for portraits.

Not expensive. Would be great if they didnít need ironing. For portraits and product. Canvas?

Apr 10, 2024 at 05:46 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for decent looking back drops for portraits.

If you find a wrinkle free backdrop, share with the group!!

Apr 10, 2024 at 06:01 PM
newyork
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for decent looking back drops for portraits.

Haha

Canvas be better on a roll?

RoamingScott wrote:
If you find a wrinkle free backdrop, share with the group!!

Apr 10, 2024 at 06:19 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for decent looking back drops for portraits.

Westcott X-Drop. Backdrop is elastic, so when deployed, it stretches to a flat, smooth surface. They have a couple of sizes and colors/patterns.

Apr 13, 2024 at 12:36 AM
LarryBeemer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for decent looking back drops for portraits.

I always liked muslin backgrounds. I had three or four 9'x15' and a couple 10'x20'. I still have two of them. They are dyed and can be used on either side for a slightly different look. I could wad them up and throw them in the bottom of a large metal cabinet for storage. After hanging them on the background support it would take less than five minutes for the wrinkles to disappear. I remember buying most of them from the trunk of a car from a guy that happened to stop by the studio one day. As I recall I paid less than $100 each. I used them a lot for seniors. But that was way back in olden times. I've recently seen them on Denny's site but they are significantly more $$ now.

©Ņ©
LB

Apr 13, 2024 at 08:32 AM
bocaminus
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for decent looking back drops for portraits.

From my experience, cheap stuff doesn't last long and causes a lot of headaches. I switched to Lastolite products a decade ago and never looked back. The cost is somewhat higher than other brands but quality and durability is something you'll appreciate on a long run.

Apr 13, 2024 at 12:25 PM
CharleyL
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for decent looking back drops for portraits.

Kate Backdrops are amazing. They come in many sizes, colors, and patterns. They are made of a special polyester that is soft like velvet on the face side, so don't reflect shiny spots. Wrinkles come out easily, even when folded for storage, and they are reasonably priced.

Here is the beginning link, but there are pages of them. Every standard size and color, plus prints. I've been buying nothing else for the past 5 years.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?k=kate+christmas+backdrops+for+photography&ref=sugsr_3&pd_rd_w=KVriM&content-id=amzn1.sym.3e23f907-b859-4094-8b45-cf96f8c9286b:amzn1.sym.3e23f907-b859-4094-8b45-cf96f8c9286b&pf_rd_p=3e23f907-b859-4094-8b45-cf96f8c9286b&pf_rd_r=Y8DDZ5M2WHFQCDACPSTM&pd_rd_wg=dBx7f&pd_rd_r=f7a703eb-e073-4326-891e-60851a8b739e&qid=1713044624

Charley

Apr 13, 2024 at 04:49 PM
pjheller
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for decent looking back drops for portraits.

How about Lastolite Collapsible backgrounds (I don't have experience with them but am considering trying them).

Apr 13, 2024 at 04:55 PM
MichaelFrederickPhoto
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for decent looking back drops for portraits.

I have a few velvet BGís from backgroundtown.com, they arenít cheap but they have great sales. I have (3) 8x8ft ones, paid $72-80 on sale, normally they are $200+. I have grey, olive, and blue. They do not wrinkle and well made.

I was so excited to use them, out of the blue I was generously gifted a 6x9 hand painted canvas and the color is perfect for my headshots so I have been using that exclusively. UGGGHH

Apr 14, 2024 at 09:26 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

newyork
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking for decent looking back drops for portraits.

I apologize for not responding here. I didnít realize anyone else wrote. Iíll read through now.

Apr 17, 2024 at 09:58 AM
newyork
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking for decent looking back drops for portraits.

Iíd like to see these. Pardon my ignorance but what is Dennys site?

LarryBeemer wrote:
I always liked muslin backgrounds. I had three or four 9'x15' and a couple 10'x20'. I still have two of them. They are dyed and can be used on either side for a slightly different look. I could wad them up and throw them in the bottom of a large metal cabinet for storage. After hanging them on the background support it would take less than five minutes for the wrinkles to disappear. I remember buying most of them from the trunk of a car from a guy that happened to stop by the studio one day. As I recall
...Show more

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:43 AM
LarryBeemer
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking for decent looking back drops for portraits.

newyork wrote:
Iíd like to see these. Pardon my ignorance but what is Dennys site?

https://dennymfg.com/

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:32 AM
newyork
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking for decent looking back drops for portraits.

The pro looks great and really convenient.

gregfountain wrote:
Westcott X-Drop. Backdrop is elastic, so when deployed, it stretches to a flat, smooth surface. They have a couple of sizes and colors/patterns.

Apr 17, 2024 at 03:52 PM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Looking for decent looking back drops for portraits.

For tabletop products look at V-flat Duo boards. They're a little more expensive, but provide two different looks per board (reversible). Thereís also another company that does similar boards -
https://www.replicasurfaces.com/products/replica-studio

Apr 18, 2024 at 07:43 AM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Looking for decent looking back drops for portraits.

newyork wrote:
The pro looks great and really convenient.

Westcott x-drop is an excellent product. The frame is fragile though, and mine broke after being jostled around in a roller but if you're careful with them and don't throw it around should be fine.

Otherwise a roll of seamless is pretty cheap and will yield better results, especially if you need to do a sweep or place product on top of it. The fabric backgrounds look good from a distance but close up you start to see the texture of the fleece like material. Also picking up a decent backdrop stand is important, one that goes up at least 12 ft, and has an adjustable width cross bar.

If you want painted canvas for cheap, there are tutorials on youtube and such that walk through how to make one from a sheet of muslin. I also have had luck finding used backdrops on craigslist - when I lived in NY it seemed like there was always a studio getting out of the business and selling everything.

May 01, 2024 at 09:59 AM
newyork
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Looking for decent looking back drops for portraits.

Thank you!

May 01, 2024 at 11:23 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Looking for decent looking back drops for portraits.

I've always bought rolls of muslin and either painted it myself, had a painting party, had a girlfriend who was a painter paint or hired a friend who did props for movies to paint.

Muslin is easy to find in 9' wide rolls and roll very conveniently onto the 10' metal poles from Home Depot that are designed for chain linked fences.

We would mostly use thinned down house paint and both paint brushes and sponges and just plain paint splatter, all painted on the studio floor and once dry then gaffer taped to one of those metal poles. Then, for larger drops, I'd buy, say, three pieces of 9'x18' muslin and find a fabric or furniture place that could sew the three together into a huge 18'x27' piece of muslin. I think that big one, which is stored folded, is one we did maybe back in '86 or '87, so maybe it's 35 years old and still going strong. If you take care of them, they'll last a lifetime.

May 02, 2024 at 05:57 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.