New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Time for a new MacBook Pro - which config

patotts
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Time for a new MacBook Pro - which config

I have a 2021 MBP 14" with 32 GB of RAM, which is holding up pretty well, but I'm moving overseas later in the year and I want to buy a new machine to bring with me as I know they are more expensive where we are going (I also want the US keyboard on it).

The question is, which config? I have the 14" which is better for travel, but in all honestly, I don't travel with it much, so I'm thinking of getting a 16" to have more screen real estate.

Any Mac can handle my daily 55 tabs open for work situation, but I will mainly use it for photo-editing and more and more video editing as well. I will connect it to an external monitor from time to time as well.

32GB of RAM has been good, I do get warning messages about RAM swapping every so often, so more wouldn't hurt, but I don't want to pay gazzlions for it. 1TB SSD should be enough, I try to keep most data on external HDs, NAS and cloud.

Which config do you have and how is it working? How may CPU, GPU and RAM did you end up going with? M3 Pro or Max?

What is considered the best balanced config for a photographer? (yeah, I'm not paying $8,000 for a machine)

Apr 07, 2024 at 01:48 PM
patotts
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Time for a new MacBook Pro - which config

Here is some recs I found on YT

Apr 07, 2024 at 01:54 PM
patotts
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Time for a new MacBook Pro - which config

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/16-inch-space-black-apple-m3-pro-with-12-core-cpu-and-18-core-gpu-36gb-memory-512gb

vs

M3 Max with 14 core CPU and 40 core GPU. Is it worth $400 extra to get the Max over the Pro with 12/18?

Apr 07, 2024 at 05:05 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Time for a new MacBook Pro - which config

patotts wrote:
https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/16-inch-space-black-apple-m3-pro-with-12-core-cpu-and-18-core-gpu-36gb-memory-512gb

vs

M3 Max with 14 core CPU and 40 core GPU. Is it worth $400 extra to get the Max over the Pro with 12/18?

Yes if youíre using Adobe software often running Denoise batches, which benefits from more GPU cores.

In 2022 my budget allowed getting a 14Ē M1 Pro 1TB 16GB RAM. It works fine for most of my work in LR but Iím only processing 24MP files. Denoise averages about 25-35 seconds per file, but obviously a batch of hundreds or a thousand images becomes an overnight process that also eats a lot of storage as temporary cache. Iím finding 1TB fairly limiting and only have the most recent projects on the internal SSD, with older stuff on external NVMEs before those are moved to HDDs for Ďcoldí storage. I also occasionally get memory warnings but also have a ton of Safari tabs open in addition to various apps. I have done 4K video editing in DaVinci and the machine was smooth and seemed quick with the exports, but those were all short ~5 minute videos with basic color grading, audio, etc.

Thereís a thread by jhapeman on the post processing board where he benchmarked various configurations and you do benefit with the higher end configurations, but will also depend a lot on your specific requirements.

For my next Mac Iíll get at least 2TB/32GB, but might aim for a Max chip.

Apr 09, 2024 at 12:54 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Time for a new MacBook Pro - which config

There is no reason to get an Ultra for a MBP IMO. Only once you start looking at desktops. Any M3 Max/Pro will be great.

Apr 09, 2024 at 12:56 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Time for a new MacBook Pro - which config

Ultra is only available for the Studio, IIRC. Hereís the link to the benchmark thread in the post processing forum: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1831862

Apr 09, 2024 at 02:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

patotts
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Time for a new MacBook Pro - which config

Yes, Ultra is two M2 Max chips "glued" together, that is only in the Studio. In my case, I want a laptop.

Apr 09, 2024 at 03:00 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Time for a new MacBook Pro - which config

The answer, as with all Macs, is to buy the best you can afford.

Apr 09, 2024 at 03:10 PM
patotts
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Time for a new MacBook Pro - which config

RoamingScott wrote:
The answer, as with all Macs, is to buy the best you can afford.

Ain't that the truth! :-)

Apr 09, 2024 at 03:11 PM
patotts
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Time for a new MacBook Pro - which config

Hm, it might be worth waiting for the M4 Max chip. It feels like Apple M1 chip was the real revolution, and M2 and M3 were nice improvements, but the M4 will be the next M1-type chip that provides a generational change with its AI-features.

I might try to live with my machine for another 6 months and see.

Apr 16, 2024 at 09:40 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Time for a new MacBook Pro - which config

Always another and better machine on the horizon but if you can wait then sure. Not certain the higher end MBP with M4 Max will be out this year. Some are reporting it might be early next year.

Apr 18, 2024 at 07:31 AM
jj1804
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Time for a new MacBook Pro - which config

Don't think an M4 MBP is around the corner. Don't freak out over having the latest. Your machine has an M chip and therefore is probably 80-90% of the way there anyway performance-wise. If you don't need the RAW power for work, I'd compromise for my hobby and just wait a lil longer and drink tea.

Apr 29, 2024 at 08:57 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.