New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Ray Ban Sunglasses

pendennis
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ray Ban Sunglasses

I've been a fan of Ray Bans since the early 70's when I first purchased a pair of shooting glasses for trap and skeet. My choice of shooting glasses has changed, but not my love of Ray Bans.

I always purchased the tear-drop models, but of late, I've become fond of the original Caravan model. I own several pairs and I really like the style. And up front, I also own American Optical and Randolph Engineering model aviators. One pair of Caravans I found on eBay, are going to need replacement lenses, but the original Ambermatics are no longer available.

Google has been next to useless in trying to find any Ray Ban blogs.

Does anyone here know of a blog for Ray Bans?

Apr 06, 2024 at 03:32 PM
patotts
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ray Ban Sunglasses

Whatever Ray-Ban's you buy these days have little to do with what you grew up on.

They are owned by Luxottica these days https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxottica, which controls 80-90% of sunglasses around the world. They make all the sunglasses for fashion brands, and also own Persol, Oakley, Oliver Peoples, etc. If you think you will get expert advise by going to Sunglass Hut think again, Luxottica owns that too. They are 1,000's of % in premiums.

Randolph sunglasses used to be a great value, but they have doubled or tripled their prices in the last few years.

I've stopped buying Luxottica products, but I still have a couple of Ray-Bans that I enjoy and won't throw away. Most recently, I bought new sunglasses from Raen, a small California outfit.

Apr 07, 2024 at 01:40 PM
pendennis
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ray Ban Sunglasses

patotts wrote:
Whatever Ray-Ban's you buy these days have little to do with what you grew up on.

They are owned by Luxottica these days https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxottica, which controls 80-90% of sunglasses around the world. They make all the sunglasses for fashion brands, and also own Persol, Oakley, Oliver Peoples, etc. If you think you will get expert advise by going to Sunglass Hut think again, Luxottica owns that too. They are 1,000's of % in premiums.

Randolph sunglasses used to be a great value, but they have doubled or tripled their prices in the last few years.

I've stopped buying Luxottica products, but I
...Show more

I have one pair of Ray Bans which are of Luxottica origin, and while they're of great quality (Italian-made), they just aren't the same as the two pair of Caravan's that date from the 70's, and into the 80's. I have about ten pair of original Ray Ban's in both aviator- and shooting-style frames, which have G-15 lenses, and the pair of Caravan's which have Ambermatic lenses. One of the specs I need is the lens size of the original Caravan.

I had occasion to contact Ray Ban customer service a number of years ago. The screw head on a temple piece became nearly stripped. They shipped me enough temple and frame screws to last a life time. I have noticed that the Luxoticca-made Ray Bans now have a Phillips-type nylok screw.

Apr 08, 2024 at 08:01 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ray Ban Sunglasses

a 40+ year old B+L Ray Bans

Apr 08, 2024 at 08:44 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ray Ban Sunglasses

Here's my Grandfather's Ray Bans. I figure, they're 60+ years old.

Apr 08, 2024 at 06:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ray Ban Sunglasses

Apr 08, 2024 at 07:27 PM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ray Ban Sunglasses

https://www.fuselenses.com/collections/ray-ban

I have prescription and non-script Fuse lenses. Quality is excellent. They make custom lenses too.

Apr 08, 2024 at 10:53 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ray Ban Sunglasses

Apr 12, 2024 at 09:48 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ray Ban Sunglasses

I have "fitovers" from Jonathan Paul. They are fantastic!
https://www.fitoverusa.com
Good luck!
Dan

Apr 24, 2024 at 10:29 AM
Charlie K.
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ray Ban Sunglasses

Revant optics and Fuse optics make some good replacements as well.

Apr 25, 2024 at 01:14 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.