New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Lens hoods-thoughts????

jcw1982
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens hoods-thoughts????

Recently I was looking for a replacement lens hood for my 16-80. In addition to the standard 'tulip-shaped' plastic lens hoods, I noticed there now several manufacturers of 'square' lens hoods made of metal. Any advantages to the square type? I was thinking maybe more durable and possibly more compact since the square design can more closely 'frame' the image area? Any thoughts or experience??

Apr 03, 2024 at 11:23 AM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens hoods-thoughts????

Rectangular hoods are great if you do not use lens caps, do not use polarizing filters and do not remove the hood. Not so great if you want to do any of those things.

The rectangular hoods are shorter than the petal type. That can be good and bad. Good that they are less likely to snag on things when carrying and you can set the camera face down. Bad insofar as not providing as much protection from overhead glare and weather.

I prefer reversible, circular face plastic hoods above all else. Petal hoods are annoying because I like to set cameras face down on the hood.

The Haoge rectangular hoods for the Fuji 16mm and 16-55mm work well. The only thing I don't like is the press fit cap on the 16-55 version. It is heavy, thick and hard to get on and off. The 16mm version has a thin plastic snap-on cap which is great. That's a direct copy of the optional rectangular hood Fuji makes for the 16mm. Fuji doesn't offer a rectangular option for their 16-55. So Haoge didn't have a design to copy. Apparently they thought a giant metal cap too thick to fit in your pocket was a good idea. I just leave it off.

Seems silly, but I do notice the weight difference in the heavier rectangular metal hoods. We're talking grams, but I notice it.

Apr 03, 2024 at 12:41 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens hoods-thoughts????

i have the HB-75 hood on 2 lenses. the 16-80/4 that it came with and Z 24-70/4S. i much prefer this hood. simple and does the job

Apr 03, 2024 at 04:15 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens hoods-thoughts????

As far as I am concerned the only "advantage" of any lens hood is that it fills up extra space in the bag. I mostly shoot very wide and have always wondered why companies bother with the vestigial petals. They serve absolutely no useful purpose. When I purchased my NiSi filter adapter for the Nikon 14-28Z I immediately pulled out the angle grinder to take them off and leave only the filter threads and the bayonet coupling mechanism which is quite nice.

Apr 03, 2024 at 09:16 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens hoods-thoughts????

GroovyGeek wrote:
As far as I am concerned the only "advantage" of any lens hood is that it fills up extra space in the bag. I mostly shoot very wide and have always wondered why companies bother with the vestigial petals. They serve absolutely no useful purpose. When I purchased my NiSi filter adapter for the Nikon 14-28Z I immediately pulled out the angle grinder to take them off and leave only the filter threads and the bayonet coupling mechanism which is quite nice.

Totally disagree with you regarding the usefulness of hoods. They have saved my front element from hitting rocks or concrete on many occasions.

Apr 03, 2024 at 09:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens hoods-thoughts????

For ultrawides, I agree their usefulness with respect to flare is highly debatable, but I do use them to protect the front element as Chez says.

Apr 05, 2024 at 05:24 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens hoods-thoughts????

We can agree to disagree . I have never damaged a front element by hitting it on something... And I never use clear filters. The few times I have damaged a lens has been when a cap is not securely attached, falls off in the bag, and then manages to rub against the front element. I am quite rough on my gear and my use is 100% outside. I do place caps on the front element the moment the camera is not in use.

I probably just jinxed myself and am about to damage a front element by hitting it on something

Apr 06, 2024 at 09:21 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens hoods-thoughts????

GroovyGeek wrote:
As far as I am concerned the only "advantage" of any lens hood is that it fills up extra space in the bag.

Stupidest comment I have heard in a long time.

Apr 06, 2024 at 10:38 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lens hoods-thoughts????

Imagemaster wrote:
Stupidest comment I have heard in a long time.

Were you referring to your own comment? I am yet to see a working landscape professional who gets seriously off-trail and actually carries and uses hoods. Admittedly my sample is relatively small, N~3

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:34 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.