Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

  

Best way to mimic a monochrom with an M11?

  
 
torifile
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best way to mimic a monochrom with an M11?


I am desperately trying to avoid dropping the cash on a monochrom camera. Iíve got my M11, which I love. So, whatís the best way to get the same look? I use Lightroom and saw that cobalt image has some monochrom presets. Are there other options?

I know thereís more to the monochrom line than just black and white but Iíll sacrifice the greater ISO performance for the thousands Iíd save (and the denoise function in Lightroom is pretty good these days).



Apr 01, 2024 at 12:24 PM
Taperwing
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best way to mimic a monochrom with an M11?


LR has some builtin monochrome presets. Don't know what Leica offers, but Fuji offers some presets to simulate their Acros film, which I generally find preferable to the generic LR profiles.

If you've shot BW back in analog days, used color filters to modify tonal response, or would like to investigate that possibility, then consider pulling your images into Photoshop and playing around with the channel mixer. With channel mixer, one can individually select the percentage of each color channel (R, G and B) that go into the final monochrome composite. Quite powerful.

As far as I know, this direct mode of channel mixing does not exist in Lightroom.



Apr 01, 2024 at 12:46 PM
torifile
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best way to mimic a monochrom with an M11?


I havenít tried photoshop yet but Iíve got it in my CC subscription so Iíll give it a go. Thanks!

Taperwing wrote:
LR has some builtin monochrome presets. Don't know what Leica offers, but Fuji offers some presets to simulate their Acros film, which I generally find preferable to the generic LR profiles.

If you've shot BW back in analog days, used color filters to modify tonal response, or would like to investigate that possibility, then consider pulling your images into Photoshop and playing around with the channel mixer. With channel mixer, one can individually select the percentage of each color channel (R, G and B) that go into the final monochrome composite. Quite powerful.

As far as I know, this direct mode
...Show more



Apr 01, 2024 at 12:59 PM
Mitch Alland
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best way to mimic a monochrom with an M11?


torifile wrote:
I havenít tried photoshop yet but Iíve got it in my CC subscription so Iíll give it a go...


I'd recommend Lightroom Classic, which is a lot easier to learn than Photoshop. The Cobalt-Image profiles are good, but you get more out of them for color than B&W. The B&W conversions and film simulations in Nik Collection 6 are very good. You can also try directly in Lightroom and use the color sliders to control color conversions, the way you can do with filters when shooting film. I find the latter gives more flexibility than shooting with a Monochrom camera.




Apr 01, 2024 at 01:12 PM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best way to mimic a monochrom with an M11?


Answer: MM 246 if you really want a monochrome camera in parallel. IMO you only loose very high ISO capability and don't have the bit slimmer M10/M11 body (but therefore a much more lasting battery in the MM 246!). Save thousands of dollars and have the same image fun from my experience with this camera.

For B&W PP of color files I am still using SilverEfex II.



Apr 01, 2024 at 01:57 PM
flash
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best way to mimic a monochrom with an M11?


Lightroom workflow for Mono:

1. Set your M11 to one of the Monochrom profiles. This simulates replaying images in B&W. The raw data is still in colour.
2. Create an iport preset in LR so every file is automatically turned into a b&w file on import.
3. Use the HSL sliders to taste. Perhaps make more presets if you find something you really like.

It's going to be close enough but you'll never entirely replicate the way a Monochrom sensor works.

Gordon



Apr 01, 2024 at 02:57 PM
qdbp
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best way to mimic a monochrom with an M11?


I'd start by shooting the small raw files. What I love about monochrome sensors is the high resolution tonality that comes from having neither interpolation nor necessary capture sharpening. Down-scaling a color image should reduce noise while increasing pixel-level resolution, getting closer to the feel of working with a monochrome file.

Then go crazy with the curves tool. B&W is all about contrast, allowing and usually requiring adjustments strong enough to make color images look sick. A monochrome image file -- with low noise -- can handle far more manipulation than a color file. But, the M11 has low noise and down-rezzing will reduce it further, so it should give you a lot of latitude to help you get a feel for what a strict monochrome workflow would be like.



Apr 02, 2024 at 07:36 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

brick33308
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best way to mimic a monochrom with an M11?


retrofocus wrote:
Answer: MM 246 if you really want a monochrome camera in parallel. IMO you only loose very high ISO capability and don't have the bit slimmer M10/M11 body (but therefore a much more lasting battery in the MM 246!). Save thousands of dollars and have the same image fun from my experience with this camera.

For B&W PP of color files I am still using SilverEfex II.


I used SilverEfex for many years until I got my first M in February. Since then I've been experimenting with both the built in ACR/LR black/white presets, plus I bought some more presets. Here's an interesting thread on using presets for both color and b/w film simulation which has captured my imagination/interest since getting my M10.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/327792-film-simulation-Ė%C2%A0open-thread/



Apr 02, 2024 at 07:02 PM
rji2goleez
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best way to mimic a monochrom with an M11?


My favorite B&W Preset for the M11 is from 'Mr. Leica'. His high contrast B&W gives a very dynamic looking monochrome. Some conversions with the preset require that I lower exposure but this is the look I like.

https://mrleica.com/product/leica-m11-presets/



Apr 02, 2024 at 07:28 PM
robsonj
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best way to mimic a monochrom with an M11?


Rip off the Bayer filter? 😎


Apr 02, 2024 at 09:05 PM
stgrove
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best way to mimic a monochrom with an M11?


robsonj wrote:
Rip off the Bayer filter? 😎


Not rip off, but remove the Bayer Filter Array. Wait isn't that a Monochrome then?



Apr 02, 2024 at 09:42 PM
panos.v
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best way to mimic a monochrom with an M11?


I've got the TAP (The Archetype Process) profiles. While we can debate whether they approximate the films they say they do (which I guess is the same as all of them) I like them a lot and have been using them for a few years now. They are also profiles, not presets so when you apply them all your sliders are still at 0 as your starting point.

I even use them for my phone pics via the LR mobile app.

I've been running both the M246 and EOS 6D files through the same BW profiles and ermm...ermmm...yeah...there are certainly differences...I can certainly see them. I'm sure I do. Yes.



Apr 03, 2024 at 08:03 AM
stgrove
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best way to mimic a monochrom with an M11?


panos.v wrote:
I've got the TAP (The Archetype Process) profiles. While we can debate whether they approximate the films they say they do (which I guess is the same as all of them) I like them a lot and have been using them for a few years now. They are also profiles, not presets so when you apply them all your sliders are still at 0 as your starting point.

I even use them for my phone pics via the LR mobile app.

I've been running both the M246 and EOS 6D files through the same BW profiles and ermm...ermmm...yeah...there are certainly differences...I can
...Show more

Sounds interesting to have profiles instead of presets



Apr 03, 2024 at 11:28 AM







FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.