Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1              end

Laptop or No? Mac or Windows? Aye caramba!

sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Laptop or No? Mac or Windows? Aye caramba!

i think some of you endulge in over thinking

Apr 03, 2024 at 06:44 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Laptop or No? Mac or Windows? Aye caramba!

moncho wrote:
If you don't want to pay $2500 the first things I would compromise would be form factor and screen resolution (or maybe IPS panel vs OLED if you use an external monitor anyway)

The number one requirement, for me, was portability (size and, especially, weight) for travel. For all the advancements that have been made in technology, laptops still aren't there for being portable and very powerful (and cost under $4000CDN with taxes). And none are configured such that external storage wouldn't be required. But, again, the #1 thing was portability.

Apr 03, 2024 at 08:52 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Laptop or No? Mac or Windows? Aye caramba!

sjms wrote:
i think some of you endulge in over thinking

I guess if one has "unlimited" money, not thinking is OK. For me, it was important to know what I would like the laptop to do, what my priorities were on those "likes" and if/how it might affect a future replacement of my desktop unit.

New laptop: not cheap. New desktop: not cheap. My money: not "unlimited"

Thinking: YMMV.

Apr 03, 2024 at 08:57 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Laptop or No? Mac or Windows? Aye caramba!

same with me except for me reliability and functionality is priority. it is work related and i am a contractor. I'm my own organization. I work within a framework to support myself. there is no unlimited funding.

too many over purchase.

this was shot at a museum at 25K iso using a Z9 handheld. lets say it was a limited light situation it was edited/finished while munching dinner in my hotel room in under 10 minutes on the laptop. i wasn't in a hurry. it is a Dale Chilhuly piece.

as to YMMV? true enough as with all who choose to do this stuff and how they think.

for the tech: it started out as a 63MB compressed NEF file and opened in the programs at 260MB for work.

Apr 03, 2024 at 09:16 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Laptop or No? Mac or Windows? Aye caramba!

EverLearning wrote:
The number one requirement, for me, was portability (size and, especially, weight) for travel. For all the advancements that have been made in technology, laptops still aren't there for being portable and very powerful (and cost under $4000CDN with taxes). And none are configured such that external storage wouldn't be required. But, again, the #1 thing was portability.

With those requirements, have a look at the Asus G14 (2024). It will very easily do what you require of it based on your OP without even breaking a sweat.

Ryzen 9 8945HS
RTX 4060 8GB
1TB SSD
32GB DDR5 RAM @ 6400
USB 4.0 (Thunderbolt 4 equivalent)
$2,599 CAD

Barely over 3lbs, 0.63" thick, full aluminum chassis including keyboard deck (rare), tons of power, good battery life, the best OLED panel currently in a laptop, some of the best speakers on any laptop, and there is a Best Buy exclusive version that gets you 32GB RAM for the price of 16GB. It also has USB-C charging if you want to forego the power brick and save even more weight while traveling, and at 14" it will fit comfortably on an airplane tray table.

SSD size is 1TB but you can swap it out with something larger if you wish with 5 minutes of effort, or if you are going to use external storage anyway that's a moot point. You can easily buy your own SSD enclosure and put whatever you want in there for a fast, compact external drive. If you want more than 1TB from the factory in any laptop, you are far better off just swapping in your own drive anyway.

Only downside is RAM is not upgradable, otherwise the value proposition is really excellent.

There is a RTX 4070 version for $2999 if you want a small bump in GPU performance but at 90W, IMO it is not worth the extra $400 for roughly single digit performance gains and the 4060 performs very well in that chassis.

Apr 03, 2024 at 12:13 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Laptop or No? Mac or Windows? Aye caramba!

sjms wrote:
same with me except for me reliability and functionality is priority. it is work related and i am a contractor. I'm my own organization. I work within a framework to support myself. there is no unlimited funding.

too many over purchase.

this was shot at a museum at 25K iso using a Z9 handheld. lets say it was a limited light situation it was edited/finished while munching dinner in my hotel room in under 10 minutes on the laptop. i wasn't in a hurry. it is a Dale Chilhuly piece.

as to YMMV? true enough as with all who choose to do
...Show more

sjms, it may simply be a matter of me needing another cup of coffee but I am not sure I get the point of your post. Is it just that if one manages the expectations and timing of doing the LR AI-driven NR work on a laptop, it is OK/doable? Fire it up and then eat/snack, do some email, browse, read something, mini-exercise, etc? In other words,, try not to be just sitting there and waiting for it to complete?

Apr 03, 2024 at 12:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Laptop or No? Mac or Windows? Aye caramba!

i'm sorry i will repeat i do not use LR. i do not care for. the NR capabilities that it has was available in PSCC previously. now i use and much prefer DXOLab (currently v7) and have been using it for years. i use what i see as the appropriate tools in multiple programs to get the job done in a timely and what o hope is a professional manner. at least on my computer i really don't have to wait long to go to the next step that i need to in finishing the image.

the do have 30 day full function try before you by on the software products.

Apr 03, 2024 at 01:04 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Laptop or No? Mac or Windows? Aye caramba!

sjms, sorry about that. I recall somebody mentioning DXOLab much earlier in the thread, but I didn't recall who.

Apr 03, 2024 at 01:17 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Laptop or No? Mac or Windows? Aye caramba!

Apr 03, 2024 at 02:41 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Laptop or No? Mac or Windows? Aye caramba!

Both DxO and LR/PS are nicely fast on Apple silicon, not suggesting this for you....but just remarking for the OP. I have DxO PL and PR as well as LR/PS as well as Topaz.

Again, relative to the OPs questions, I guess we'd need to know how fast he requires his solution to be.

I'm happy doing all my work on my MBP. But everyone's situation is different, I do more low volume landscape shooting than stuff that requires processing hundreds of images quickly.

sjms wrote:
i'm sorry i will repeat i do not use LR. i do not care for. the NR capabilities that it has was available in PSCC previously. now i use and much prefer DXOLab (currently v7) and have been using it for years. i use what i see as the appropriate tools in multiple programs to get the job done in a timely and what o hope is a professional manner. at least on my computer i really don't have to wait long to go to the next step that i need to in finishing the image.

the do have 30 day
...Show more

Apr 03, 2024 at 03:52 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Laptop or No? Mac or Windows? Aye caramba!

i essentially was trying to impress upon him the ease of the flow. at least for me.

Apr 03, 2024 at 04:17 PM
1              end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1              end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.