New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Your Camera Backup?

snegron7
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Your Camera Backup?

For many years (since the old film days), I have always carried a backup camera & lens for every occasion.

My last overseas trip was no exception. My primary camera was a Sony A7c with 3 lenses: Tamron 20-40mm f2.8, Tamron 28-200mm f2.8/5.6 and a Viltrox AF 16mm f1.8. My backup camera was a Ricoh GRIII Street Edition.

Both cameras failed!!! My A7c failed as a result of the Viltrox AF 16mm f1.8 not communicating with the camera (froze my A7c, caused the camera to shut down, had to remove the battery several times to reset the camera). Luckily I was able to use my Tamron 20-40mm f2.8, but I missed out on several wide angle shots I needed to capture with a 16mm lens.

The Ricoh GRIII froze and shut down several times. Other times it would not start. I had to remove/reinsert the battery several times to get it to work. Also, the AF became unreliable throughout the trip. Overall this trip (in terms of photography) was a disaster.

I ended up using my cell phone to capture a few wide angle shots I needed.

All my equipment was purchased new by me last year. All my batteries are OEM (not 3rd party). I take very good care of my equipment. The weather was dry, average temperatures were in the 60's (Fahrenheit).

I currently own a Canon R6, Sony A7c, Ricoh GRIII. I'm contemplating the idea of rethinking my backup options.

What are your backup options? Have you had all of your equipment fail at the same time?

Mar 30, 2024 at 10:40 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Your Camera Backup?

I have carried backup bodies since the Canon 1Ds days. I've had to use my backup twice I think. Never had both fail on me on a trip but I did have 2 A7R3 fail within a week at home. One I could have lived with for a while (bad card slot).

I would not consider the A7C a camera fail, just a lens fail. After all you never had to send it in for repair as it was clearly the lens (though of course the camera was unresponsive). So I would not reconsider your camera body setup once you have the Ricoh fixed or replaced. You could say you need a backup lens strategy (which would be horrific ... )

Mar 30, 2024 at 11:51 AM
PIOK
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Your Camera Backup?

Backup is only backup if you can use all the lenses you bring for first camera
Otherwise you end up with carrying 4 items which you can't use

Have been there before... two cameras ** Nikon and Canon, failed in 2 days * one with rain, the other because radio tower generator wchich make my Canon 6D a brick for next few months

Mar 30, 2024 at 12:02 PM
snegron7
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Your Camera Backup?

mcbroomf wrote:
I have carried backup bodies since the Canon 1Ds days. I've had to use my backup twice I think. Never had both fail on me on a trip but I did have 2 A7R3 fail within a week at home. One I could have lived with for a while (bad card slot).

I would not consider the A7C a camera fail, just a lens fail. After all you never had to send it in for repair as it was clearly the lens (though of course the camera was unresponsive). So I would not reconsider your camera body setup once you have
...Show more

True! I'm thinking of replacing my GRIII with an Olympus OM 5. I currently own a Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 lens for a GX85 I used to have, so I think it might work well with the OM5 as my backup camera. I've heard that the OM 5 is pretty durable.

Mar 30, 2024 at 12:04 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Your Camera Backup?

My a7R III is my backup for my a7R V…before that it was my a7R II which was my backup for my a7R III….before that it was my a7R which was my backup for my a7R II. Luckily I’ve never needed a backup.

Mar 30, 2024 at 12:21 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Your Camera Backup?

When I was working as a still photographer on TV shows I had a backup for everything. I used two bodies so I had two extras as backups. I even had a back up blimps (before going mirrorless) for my two blimps. When you are working professionally equioment failure is not an excuse for not getting the work done.

Mar 30, 2024 at 03:12 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Your Camera Backup?

The ideal backup camera takes the same lenses, battery and cards as your main camera. This reduces the number of peripherals you need to drag along. Right now my backup camera is an A7r2 and main camera is A7r3…not ideal as they do not use the same battery. If my man camera fails, I still can continue to use all my lenses which is a true backup.

Mar 30, 2024 at 05:28 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Your Camera Backup?

snegron7 wrote:
I currently own a Canon R6, Sony A7c, Ricoh GRIII. I'm contemplating the idea of rethinking my backup options.

What are your backup options? Have you had all of your equipment fail at the same time?

You are making your own life too complicated. Your backup camera should be identical to your main camera or at least a similar model that takes the same lenses.

If you want to have an odd mix of bodies and lenses, it is your funeral when something goes wrong with one body or lens.

Mar 30, 2024 at 11:06 PM
robstein
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Your Camera Backup?

Agree with those saying same system.

Until recently (swapped to mirrorless) I had what IMO was the ideal "backup" setup - a Canon 5 (full frame) & 7 (crop) series dSLR. Same lenses, batteries, cards, accessories, everything. If I wanted faster or more reach I used the crop. For portraits or low light, I used the FF. It was less of a backup scenario as two main cameras with different features.

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:12 AM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Your Camera Backup?

I also agree—have been carrying 2 or more Canon DSLRs (now mirrorless) for a couple of decades. In addition to using the same lenses (and usually batteries, except when I had a 1D series and backup was a different model), the menu systems and at least some of the physical controls of same-generation systems are similar. That can greatly simplify using 2 cameras. For the last several years I've carried 2 R5's and having identical cameras is wonderful.

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jstrawman
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Your Camera Backup?

In the past 58 years, I have never carried a backup camera, and have never had equipment failure.
Since my use case is for pleasure only, I'll take my chances.

Mar 31, 2024 at 12:30 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Your Camera Backup?

Geez, the old geezers are coming out of the woodwork.

My first camera was some kind of Kodak Brownie box camera. First serious camera was some 4x5 Graflex model. I only remember the inverted image on the ground glass and the black hood over my head.

Only one gear failure in over 60 years.

Mar 31, 2024 at 04:08 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Your Camera Backup?

Oh, I remember those days (creak ...) the backup to my 4x5 was my 8x10 (or was it the other way round .. I forget ... )

Mar 31, 2024 at 04:46 PM
nmerc_photos
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Your Camera Backup?

I always carry backup bodies. Twice in my very limited photography experience I've had my primary body rendered useless.

Canon R5s with the dreaded error 70 motherboard malfunction, and once where I dropped a Z9 the day before a big trip.

I also always have my Fuji X100V or X100VI and my phone as backup backups.

Mar 31, 2024 at 09:12 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Your Camera Backup?

I witnessed 3 photogs drop their cameras into the Ganges river. Two had no backup…their dream photography shoot was over and one had a backup but not with him…his day was toast.

Yeh, I carry another camera not just as a spare, but also to have a second focal length ready to shoot.

Mar 31, 2024 at 09:24 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Your Camera Backup?

It should be self evident that the propensity to carry a backup is inversely related to the distance over which you need to carry the second camera.

I have never owned a backup body in the past 20 years. I would much rather loose a few days of photography than add another 3-4 lbs to a 30+ lb backpack with substantially less than 1% probability they I will need it.

These days cell phones are good enough to cover at least 70% of my photography needs. If the main body dies, I will just pull out the cell and make do with what I have.

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:42 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Your Camera Backup?

GroovyGeek wrote:
It should be self evident that the propensity to carry a backup is inversely related to the distance over which you need to carry the second camera.

I have never owned a backup body in the past 20 years. I would much rather loose a few days of photography than add another 3-4 lbs to a 30+ lb backpack with substantially less than 1% probability they I will need it.

These days cell phones are good enough to cover at least 70% of my photography needs. If the main body dies, I will just pull out the cell and make do with
...Show more

While I certainly understand the sentiment about not wanting the weight and space taken up by a backup camera, let's not get carried away. An A7CR is ~18 oz, an APSC body even less.

Apr 01, 2024 at 04:44 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Your Camera Backup?

GroovyGeek wrote:

These days cell phones are good enough to cover at least 70% of my photography needs. If the main body dies, I will just pull out the cell and make do with
...Show more

I carry my backup every day while traveling, it’s just something I take into account while packing. The cost of trips goes into the 10’s of thousands of dollars and having a camera fail is just not something I’m going to risk. I have no problem lugging another pound for the insurance it provides. Being able to have a second focal length ready to use is just gravy for me.

I once had my dslr fail shooting waterfalls in the Columbia Gorge. Heavy mist. Lucky, lost only one day as the camera started working after drying out. The fellows I talked about in my previous post that dropped their cameras into the river lost a once in a lifetime photography opportunity.

Apr 01, 2024 at 08:19 AM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Your Camera Backup?

mcbroomf wrote:
While I certainly understand the sentiment about not wanting the weight and space taken up by a backup camera, let's not get carried away. An A7CR is ~18 oz, an APSC body even less.

My take:

The bodies that are 18oz are not that many. A Z8 is 36 oz. A Z5/Z6/Z7 is 24 oz. An A7 IV is also 24 oz.

The above sentiment is valid if you are never more than 6 hrs away from a hotel room and have little else in your pack other than photo gear. When you are out in the middle of nowhere for a week, with a 55-60 lb pack that you need to haul 3000ft+ in the vertical direction on some days (of which 15-20 lbs is photography gear), 24 oz is not insignificant. You scrutinize anything and everything whether it is truly needed. And since the cell phone is non-optional (for pairing to a Garmin InReach), the extra body becomes dispensable.

If you make a living with the camera and are getting paid to deliver the math changes. If you are there as an amateur, you take out the cell phone and focus on the experience of being there - which for me is secondary to "getting the image".

YMMV.

Apr 01, 2024 at 12:02 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Your Camera Backup?

Well I said I do understand it. I've done that myself, especially in the 1DS days. But you made my point, none of the cameras you quoted are in the 3-4lb range.

Apr 01, 2024 at 07:27 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.