FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1              end

New or used??

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New or used??

elkhornsun wrote:
A key area where people spend a great deal more on cameras and on lenses in the mistaken belief that they need a 40+ megapixel full frame camera and its lenses when they could save at least half by purchasing MFT cameras and lenses. They may not be as capable if someone is making 30x40 inch prints for a gallery but for 90% of the pictures actually printed by hobbyists they are more than adequate.

How about a lot of people want, enjoy, and can afford to buy the gear that makes them happy.

Not all MFT cameras and lenses are half the prices of FF cameras and lenses.

OM-1 II - $2400
OM 300 f4 - $3,000

Canon RP - $1,000, Canon R8 - $1,300, Canon R6 II $2,300.

Canon EF 300 f4 used like new - $750 & EF-RF adapter $130.

I would take the Canon R6 II over the OM-1 II any day, and the Canon EF 300 f4 is as good as the OM 300 f4. IMO

Apr 14, 2024 at 01:23 AM
GeofFX

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New or used??

Im constantly internally in debate with myself: update to mirrorless or stay with DSLR? What does switching over really offer me in advantages? I think were well past the point where most improvements in glass quality (new lens version introduced) are relevant. Most people looking at a photo one of us took look for just 2-3 seconds, most of the time, if were lucky. If I take a portrait with a full size sensor DSLR and 70-200 f2.8 zoom, and then take the same portrait using a mirrorless body and 70-200 f2.8 zoom designed for the mirrorless system, also on a full size sensor, who will see a difference in the resulting image? Nobody, thats who.
Its pretty difficult for me to justify switching over, at least right now. Maybe if Im still here and still shooting seriously in another 8-10 years, Id consider it. The world is awash with a lot of super high quality old technology at prices that were a dream come true just a couple of years ago, with more appearing on used shelves every week. I know the end of the DSLR days are coming, but it wont make using one impossible.

Apr 14, 2024 at 07:54 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New or used??

The end of the DSLR days are not coming soon. Some are still shooting with film cameras.

Use whatever gear you want. Many photographers can capture a much higher rate of 'keepers' due to features that older cameras don't have. Capturing wildlife or fast action sports is much more demanding than taking a photos of a still subject where you may have control over lighting, movement, etc.

Higher fps, better AF, silent shooting, focus-stacking, RAW Burst mode, etc., etc. can all be of a benefit to those that find any of them more efficient at capturing 'that moment'. Choose the weapon you need, or just want.

Apr 14, 2024 at 11:11 AM
1              end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1              end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.