New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

New or used??

Pixelpuffin
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New or used??

I mainly only view the canon boards so unable to say if my views are accurate or not.

We all know canon has stopped production or massively reduced production of the EF, EF-S and EF-M system as they roll out the R line.

Most of the topics on the canon board are to do with the R line, so Iím assuming many are trading up.

The cost of the R line is insane, as is the Nikon Z system.

Iím curious to know if any members out there are like me, just flatly refuse to pay the ludicrous sums for new gear. Fact is, Iím now in a position (i.e getting old) where I could quite comfortably afford to buy into pretty much any system I wanted, if I really wanted too. However I simply cannot get away from the crazy depreciation of used gear. Be it cameras, lenses etc etc. I flatly refuse to even consider buying new. I prefer to bide my time with what I currently own until a mint copy surfaces at a price point I think is realistic for a hobby. Obviously if youíre a working Pro you can offset the purchases with your business, for an amateur itís just dead money.

Am I alone in my thinking?

This came about after I received yet another flurry of spam (every payday) from photo retailers offering all kinds of incentives to lure me into buying new stock, but even with their incentives they are still (to me) crazy overpriced to consider for taking snaps in my spare time.
I feel grateful Iím like this as I know a few who are constantly upgrading and literally never out of debt, be it their cameras, phones, cars etc etc
A friend of mine has just recently lost everything including his home, his marriage because of the never ending pressure of consumerism to keep spending, keep buying , never satisfied. Heís now living in a rented flat (paying way more than his mortgage was) locked in a contract with a big 4x4 car that he either has to handover and walk away in 6mths or stump up the remaining balance of almost £20K !!
So in essence he owns nothing. I agree itís his stupidity. Yet I knew him before consumerism got its claws in him, knew him when he was content and happy (like I am now)

Itís tragic to witness. Hence this post

So do you buy new or used?

Edited on Mar 29, 2024 at 10:05 AM · View previous versions

Mar 29, 2024 at 07:34 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New or used??

Youíre in the UK. Iím not sure, but I think the marketing pressures are even stronger in the US than in the UK.

Personally, I buy cameras new (generally) but I look for expensive lenses second-hand (or in Hong Kong or Japan). However, I have never bought a new Leica. Their prices drop sharply going from new to used, but then stay relatively stable for a long time.

I use Canon, but only have two top-notch Canon lenses as my main kit is MFT, which is much cheaper in its offerings of excellent lenses.

Still, I sometimes wonder about how much money is wrapped up in gear, esp. in my Leica kit, even though itís all paid off.

Mar 29, 2024 at 08:29 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New or used??

Both. Itís a hobbyÖjust get what makes you happy. Donít worry about what your neighbours are buying.

Mar 29, 2024 at 08:32 AM
robstein
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New or used??

Everyone has to decide but consumerism certainly has downsides and what works for some does not for others - all in moderation as they say.

I will probably be in a "mixed" mode forever at this point. While I considered it after moving to mirrorless; I'm not selling most of my EF lenses at the price they are now fetching. I know - sunk costs and all that but it's not going to make me eat dog food keeping them.

I did add a couple of RF lenses for travel (24-240 & 28 pancake) but that was me getting older and less tolerant of carrying weight around. I'm not changing the wide end because I don't use that range enough for me to justify to myself a wide RF lens.

Mar 29, 2024 at 09:18 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New or used??

I buy both new and used. The new gear is pricey, but not over-priced. If it was over-priced, not enough people would be buying it.

There is a lot more used RF gear appearing every day.

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:47 AM
Taperwing
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New or used??

While not a Canon shooter, I take your economic outlook and strategy into almost all corners of my personal and professional life. For me, capital is an absolutely finite resource, and if not careful, can be depleted more rapidly than replenished.

Vehicles, audio and photographic gear, plus some of the esoteric testing instrumentation I need for work, are primarily sourced pre-loved. With a bit of research and by dealing with reasonable people, I don't worry too much about getting burned. Over the years, I've been less disappointed with my used purchases relative to those sourced new.

However, the success of our strategy is also dependent on those that purchase new to keep the treadmill rolling. Let us not disparage their inclinations.

Mar 29, 2024 at 01:03 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New or used??

Mix here too. I usually buy bodies new, but I bought my R5 very slightly used (got lucky with a local sale on B&S from someone moving to the R3), and the lenses are a mix of new, used, and Canon refurbs. No rush to upgrade to the R series lenses.

The pressure I feel is the thought that the longer I wait to sell my EF lenses, the less they will be worth. But there should also be more used R lenses to buy. And really, at this point all I would do is sell a 100-400 for a 100-500, and the 500L for a 600RF. But I'm a long way from buying a 600 (even used).

I really need to unload the EF bodies though.

Mark

Mar 29, 2024 at 04:47 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New or used??

Prefer used whenever possible. New when I have no choice - which with the Z system has been almost everything I own since I moved relatively early to Z because I liked the massive reductions in size and weight.

Mar 29, 2024 at 04:50 PM
jmckayak
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New or used??

Cameras - Refurb if possible or new
Prime lens - Used or refurb
zoom lens - refurb or new
Tripods, bags, TC, etc - used
Canon Refurbished gives you a 1 year warranty

Mar 29, 2024 at 06:24 PM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New or used??

The cost of camera equipment has decreased in relative terms over the past 20 years. The Canon 1Ds II was US$8,000 in 2004 and the 600mm f4 was $12,000. Adjusting for inflation, that's roughly $13,000 and $19,000 in today's money. The equivalent R3 and RF 600mm today cost US$5,000 and $13,000 today.

Cameras depreciate more quickly then lenses because they are replaced with newer models at a faster rate.

Price vs value is a question only you can decide.

Mar 29, 2024 at 06:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

snegron7
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New or used??

I learned long ago (the hard way) that cameras/lenses are tools, not investments. When you buy a tool, you need to look not only at what need it serves, but also its reliability. If you were a carpenter, would you buy a new drill with warranty, or a used drill with no warranty? Same with camera equipment. Buying used camera gear relies 100% on luck. If the previous owner took very good care of his/her equipment, and they were lucky to have purchased a good copy to begin with, then you are lucky. If not, then you run the risk of failure and/or expensive repairs.

I currently use both a Canon R6 and a Sony A7c. I have a few "affordable" RF primes plus a few EF lenses with adapter. I have a pair of Tamron lenses for my A7c.

I'm not saying that new will always be a guarantee you will be getting a flawless product (I purchased a new Canon RF 24-105mm f4.0L which I returned because it had AF issues, I had to return a new Sony 40mm f2.5 because it was severely decentered, my recent new Viltrox AF 16mm f1.8 has caused my A7c to shut down multiple times, etc.). I have also purchased used equipment (Nikon lenses and bodies) that have failed me after 30 days leaving me with expensive paperweights.

In my personal experience buying new has yielded better results than buying used mainly because I've been able to return/exchange the item. YMMV

On a slightly unrelated note, I am now in the process of deciding whether I should get either a Canon RF 14-35mm f4.0L or a Sony 14mm f1.8 GM to fill in my wide angle gap.

Mar 30, 2024 at 07:18 AM
Pouncer

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New or used??

I bought a Nikon D70 kit new in 2004. Since then, I've only purchased used. Over that time I've probably bought 25+ lenses and 8 or so cameras, Nikon and Fuji.

Mar 30, 2024 at 10:01 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New or used??

I agree with @jeffbuzz that adjusted for inflation, prices aren't entirely out of line, but apparently like many, I don't necessarily like the idea of spending $3000 on a 'standard' 24-70 or 70-200 zoom. In theory, wages/earnings should keep pace with inflation and it shouldn't matter, but reality is another matter.

Where I think things are 'overpriced' is for example, clothing. Walk into any average mid-range fashion retailer and try to leave with an outfit that isn't hundreds of dollars. At least for me, this experience has conditioned me to 'bargain hunt' in the clearance and past seasons sections. I can't think of the last time I bought current season clothing at full retail. My last two cars were bought used. Both were 3.5-4 years old, relatively low mileage and very good condition and also good prices (the last was just before the pandemic and actually appreciated in value for a while). Computers: I'm in the Apple ecosystem and generally buy a generation older for the bugs to get worked out, and refurbished, which provides Apple's standard one-year warranty. About the only electronics I buy new are storage/memory, though always look for sales/discounts unless an immediate need must be filled.

My feeling is new photographic equipment is priced with buffers so that manufacturers can take advantage of early adopters who, for whatever reason, must have the item now, then eventually markdown somewhat for the 'middle run' of a product's lifecycle. I'm thinking of Canon's recent on and off discounts on many cameras and lenses...

Photo equipment purchases are a mix of new and used. New if it's something I feel will somehow benefit me immediately (I do earn a living from photography and can write off the depreciation), for example back in 2013 the Canon 200-400, which made a big improvement, for me, in how I previously covered sports with primes. Sometimes being first has benefits if it addresses an immediate need and missing the first wave of availability often means getting caught in a backlog caused by limited initial production and uncertainty about when future shipments will arrive. Cameras I generally prefer new, though it depends. If I can find refurbished, I'll consider it. I currently have six RF lenses, which were acquired faster than I expected. Two I unexpectedly found used at good prices. One came used and practically free as a kit lens with a used 'demo' camera that I was able to use extensively to confirm proper operations. The three bought new were all on my EF-RF transition plan and discounted a fair amount so that the purchases made accelerating the transition worthwhile.

Mar 30, 2024 at 10:26 AM
scottsoutter
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New or used??

Pretty much everything is used, other than microfiber lens cloths and extra batteries.

I am content to carry others paint nicks and have them run up the shutter count a bit, and pay somewhere around 50% of retail or below. I also tend to hang on to stuff for a while and get used to it.

It works really well for me with all the churn in the marketplace, and I have had really good experiences from sellers and buyers both.

Mar 31, 2024 at 12:39 AM
nmerc_photos
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New or used??

My preference is used, but I'll buy new if I have to (new releases).

I like to get new gear as soon as I can, if it's something that I've been looking forward to. and I've paid over MSRP several times for used gear, that was out of stock (Fuji X100V, Fuji X100VI, Nikon Z 400TC, Nikon Z 600TC, etc.)

money is just money. you can always make more. you can't make more time going out and enjoying the gear though. if I had to save and wait years to get different pieces of gear - imagine how many shots I'd go without, or how much fun would be lost

Mar 31, 2024 at 09:09 PM
Pixelpuffin
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New or used??

Cheers for the replies
The comment regarding being a carpenter buying a new drill over a used drillÖ.. a new drill is what ? A few hundred ££ís. So yeah buy the new drill for sure. A amateur shooting a camera in his spare time, taking into account itís not raining, not the middle of winter, he/she is not preoccupied by other tasks. Hence dropping £7-10K on R5 or Z9 (people seem to buy the top model) with obligatory white L lens or similar is to me crazy. Of course each to their own but I simply wouldnít/couldnít justify the outlay regardless if I can afford to it not.
4yrs ago I used to commute to work by bicycle, bought a used but frankly unused cycle cross bike for £70. In 3yrs I peddled everyday come rain shine sleet or snow. New tyres and new brake blocks was my only expense in 3yrs. A work colleague has just dropped £4.8k on a e-bike!! Lives closer to work than I do and his commute is mostly flat whereas mine had hills both ways.
For those wondering, I stopped cycling after my elbow got hit by a passing van mirrorÖ caused me to knock the handlebars sharply to the left which in effect jackknifed the bike and sent me flying into the road in to the path of a oncoming skip lorry which swerved and missed my head by literally inches. Not cycled on the roads since.

Apr 01, 2024 at 11:06 AM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New or used??

Bought a 5D2 and D800 used 10ish years ago.

Splurged last year and bought a D850, D6, and Z9 all new because I had serious GAS.

Apr 01, 2024 at 07:56 PM
jcw1982
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New or used??

I always buy used. When I retired I thought I would treat myself to a new Nikon mirrorless outfit. When the time came however, I just couldn't do it. It is easy to get caught up in the latest gear trends when reading the internet boards, something I have to remind myself of time and again. I realize now I'm happiest with my used gear.

Apr 03, 2024 at 11:42 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New or used??

Buying a used lens is something I do not hesitate to do, in particular with prime lenses. I also prefer a used pro level lens to a new consumer level lens. Until I switched to mirrorless cameras I had lenses I had been using for more than 20 years so I view this as long term investment.

I have long thought that it is unfortunate that personal finance is not taught in our schools at the high school level or even in universities that focus on macro economics. If one chose smart parents they have good role models but for most people it is a matter of learning from ones mistakes.

A key area where people spend a great deal more on cameras and on lenses in the mistaken belief that they need a 40+ megapixel full frame camera and its lenses when they could save at least half by purchasing MFT cameras and lenses. They may not be as capable if someone is making 30x40 inch prints for a gallery but for 90% of the pictures actually printed by hobbyists they are more than adequate.

Apr 13, 2024 at 03:14 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New or used??

elkhornsun wrote:
A key area where people spend a great deal more on cameras and on lenses in the mistaken belief that they need a 40+ megapixel full frame camera and its lenses when they could save at least half by purchasing MFT cameras and lenses. They may not be as capable if someone is making 30x40 inch prints for a gallery but for 90% of the pictures actually printed by hobbyists they are more than adequate.

But isnít that true for all things in life from the coffee one drinks, to the vehicles they drive to the places they liveÖall are more than one needs.

Apr 13, 2024 at 07:10 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.