Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

1966 Gibson SJ200 Guitar

Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1966 Gibson SJ200 Guitar

Okay, here's something I picked up right after Christmas (and am so looking forward to paying the Use Tax on it next month) - a 1966 Gibson SJ200 which were often simply called S200's but the SJ stands for Super Jumbo. I finally got around to dressing and polishing the frets, cleaning the guitars, applying Fret Doctor to the fret board to re-moisturize it, adjust the truss rod for correct neck relief (approx. .003-.005 one thousandths) and adjust the intonation and slap on a set of String Joy strings. Sounding pretty good now even with the weird adjustable bridge. The whole deal on this guitar is that for twenty years, from 1991 to 2011, it was owned and played by one of my songwriting and musical heroes, John Prine.

Prine was one of the early Covid casualties in 2020. He was discovered in the late 60's in Chicago by Kris Kristofferson and wrote some of the most biting anti war songs of that era. His song Sam Stone exemplified that type of writing about a G.I. hooked on junk coming home from Vietnam and continued writing great songs practically until he died with his final album winning a Grammy.

This is just a quick documentary image shot this morning with a single light - a large Chimera soft box and nothing else. Canon 135mm t/s-e on a Fuji GFX100II and a whole twenty minutes or so in post.

1966 Gibson SJ200

GFX100 II    Canon TS-E 135mm f/4L lens    135mm    f/11.0    10s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 28, 2024 at 03:07 PM
dalongfellow
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1966 Gibson SJ200 Guitar

Beautiful work. The case makes me think this one has a lot of stories to tell.

Dave

Mar 28, 2024 at 07:18 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1966 Gibson SJ200 Guitar

dalongfellow wrote:
Beautiful work. The case makes me think this one has a lot of stories to tell.

Dave

I'm sure that wardrobe trunk has its own stories but there is no connection between the guitar and the trunk other than I like how they look together. I'm thinking that the guitar, being owned by Prine, might have the better stories anyway.

Mar 28, 2024 at 07:22 PM
joel dowling
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1966 Gibson SJ200 Guitar

Saw Prine just before goddamned Covid times - he was absolutely incredible.

That portrait of the guitar is exquisite. You did the subject well.

Here’s a fun anecdote. I saw Swamp Dogg just over a decade ago and he was still covering Sam Stone. Sounded great, too.

Peter Figen wrote:
I'm sure that wardrobe trunk has its own stories but there is no connection between the guitar and the trunk other than I like how they look together. I'm thinking that the guitar, being owned by Prine, might have the better stories anyway.

Edited on Mar 28, 2024 at 10:08 PM · View previous versions

Mar 28, 2024 at 08:09 PM
patotts
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1966 Gibson SJ200 Guitar

Great photo, superb guitar, and amazing story!

Mar 28, 2024 at 08:54 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1966 Gibson SJ200 Guitar

joel dowling wrote:
Saw Prince just before goddamned Covid times - he was absolutely incredible.

That portrait of the guitar is exquisite. You did the subject well.

Here’s a fun anecdote. I saw Swamp Dogg just over a decade ago and he was still covering Sam Stone. Sounded great, too.

Well that's a very different and very interesting R&B take on that song. Can never get over "there's a hole in daddy's arm where all the money goes, jesus christ died for nothing I suppose" which Prine called his favorite couplet of any of his. I have to go look up the songs that Prine recorded with this guitar.

Mar 28, 2024 at 08:55 PM
kenbennett
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1966 Gibson SJ200 Guitar

What a beautiful instrument. We saw John Prine during that period, have to think he was playing it during the show. His death was a loss that I took hard.

Mar 28, 2024 at 09:13 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1966 Gibson SJ200 Guitar

kenbennett wrote:
What a beautiful instrument. We saw John Prine during that period, have to think he was playing it during the show. His death was a loss that I took hard.

Yeah, Covid took Prine and just a year ago, David Lindley. They both hit hard. I play John Prine songs every night.

Mar 28, 2024 at 09:37 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1966 Gibson SJ200 Guitar

Congrats on your acquisition, Peter, She's a beaut! Good tones ahead!
I was introduced to John Prine and his work by Tony Polecastro.
Douglas

Mar 29, 2024 at 08:07 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1966 Gibson SJ200 Guitar

She's a beauty! Wonderful rendering. Awesome provenance.

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1966 Gibson SJ200 Guitar

douter wrote:
Congrats on your acquisition, Peter, She's a beaut! Good tones ahead!
I was introduced to John Prine and his work by Tony Polecastro.
Douglas

Thanks Doug. Definitely a few battle scars, but overall in pretty good shape, and maybe on the verge of needing a neck re-set but maybe not as well.

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:45 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1966 Gibson SJ200 Guitar

Jeffrey wrote:
She's a beauty! Wonderful rendering. Awesome provenance.

Thanks Jeffrey. And as far as provenance, there is also the hand written letter from Prine on Gruhn Guitar's stationary talking about buying this from them and then trading it back to them twenty years later on a different vintage Gibson. There seem to be varying opinions about Gibson using this version of the Tunematic bridge with its nylon saddle pieces on some of their acoustic guitars and whether and/or how much that affected tone and volume. And it also came with a photo of John with the guitar as well.

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:51 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1966 Gibson SJ200 Guitar

A print on a wall in some relevant building would be much enjoyed and admired.

Harold

Mar 29, 2024 at 01:26 PM
Mujabad123
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1966 Gibson SJ200 Guitar

Had to look up who John Prine was ;-). Not really my music, but your image is absolutely beautiful!

Mar 29, 2024 at 02:25 PM
jbush
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1966 Gibson SJ200 Guitar

From the construction of the shot to the post-processing, this is a beautiful image. Really well done. That said, I can't get over the fact that you own a guitar that was previously owned by John Prine (for 20 years!), that is incredible. I hope you enjoy every minute of making music with it.

Jon

Mar 29, 2024 at 03:22 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1966 Gibson SJ200 Guitar

e6filmuser wrote:
A print on a wall in some relevant building would be much enjoyed and admired.

Harold

What relevant building? Maybe the Gibson factory in Bozeman even though this one was made in Kalamazoo.

Mar 29, 2024 at 03:48 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1966 Gibson SJ200 Guitar

Mujabad123 wrote:
Had to look up who John Prine was ;-). Not really my music, but your image is absolutely beautiful!

I can totally get how his music might not translate to Dutch. Definitely an acquired taste.

Mar 29, 2024 at 03:49 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1966 Gibson SJ200 Guitar

jbush wrote:
From the construction of the shot to the post-processing, this is a beautiful image. Really well done. That said, I can't get over the fact that you own a guitar that was previously owned by John Prine (for 20 years!), that is incredible. I hope you enjoy every minute of making music with it.

Jon

I'm having a hard time believing it myself and ordinarily this is not the type of thing I would go out of my way to buy but the opportunity afforded itself and I went for it. Prine is one of my heroes and while I've made a good chunk of my living from photographing music and musicians for the last forty years, I saw him perform three times but never got to meet or photograph him.

Mar 29, 2024 at 03:53 PM
Chuck Eklund
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1966 Gibson SJ200 Guitar

John Prine. His guitar. Great image. Thank you. I'll let your image roll through my mind when listening to JP sing.

Mar 29, 2024 at 03:59 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1966 Gibson SJ200 Guitar

Chuck Eklund wrote:
John Prine. His guitar. Great image. Thank you. I'll let your image roll through my mind when listening to JP sing.

He was one of the greats. Apparently he liked Gibsons for strumming and Martins for fingerpicking.

Mar 29, 2024 at 04:07 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.