New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5              7       8       end

Super telephoto lens rumors?

alundeb
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

cohenfive wrote:
For whatever reason, Canon has chosen not to compete with Nikon in the long end. The pf lenses are amazing and great fun to use, as is the really sharp 400mm 4.5. The tc big primes are without competition either, and the big holdup is price (but they have been coming down of late). The R5ii is a very important camera release for Canon, it has to be fully competitive with the Nikon and Sony offerings which means 100% it has to have a stacked sensor. I've been straddling both systems for a while now, trying to see what Canon
...Show more

The Nikon 400mm f/4.5 stands out to me as the most impressive among all primes. It is both fast and long, extremely lightweight and financially within reach.
Not sure how anyone is going to 'cancel' that lens

Apr 04, 2024 at 01:51 AM
misteracng

p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

The Nikon PF lenses are excellent for weight and size if you are ok with the aperture, like f6.3 for the 600 and 800. The 600 PF is reasonable handheld and would be definately easier to hold then the RF 600 f4. The 800 PF seems almost as heavy and very long to the point that itís not much better then the 600 f4, seems both would be better with support. I think the main advantage of the RF 400/600 is that you get f2.8 or f4 and then you can add at least the 1.4x TC or even the 2x for versatility adding a bit of weight. The PF will always be 6.3 as itís compromise. Nikon has the TC built in, but real prices especially used favor the canon rf lenses significantly. No TC built in but thousands of dollars less actual price. Also for US customers, you really must get USA lens as well

Apr 04, 2024 at 06:29 AM
nmerc_photos
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

AmbientMike wrote:
How did your test of the Nikon 800/5.6 vs the 800pf go? Since you have used everything.

The Nikon 5.6 is marginally sharper than the 6.3. But not nearly enough to justify all that extra weight, length. It also has even worse MFD.

The 5.6 was super impressive for it's time, back in 2013. But not so much today. The only people I know who still own them are older photog's who keep it mainly for nostalgia, or because they haven't made the swap to mirrorless yet.

Apr 04, 2024 at 08:17 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

This probably belongs in a thread of its own, but my R5 and lenses arrived yesterday, and I am really impressed with the build quality of the body and lenses - the fit and finish is a bit nicer than my Nikon gear (especially the Nikkor Z lenses made in China and Thailand) and a huge step up from the Fuji gear I had. No more sloppy lens mounts!

Apr 04, 2024 at 11:19 AM
garyvot
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

alundeb wrote:
The Nikon 400mm f/4.5 stands out to me as the most impressive among all primes. It is both fast and long, extremely lightweight and financially within reach.

The Nikon is good, but it is merely playing catch up.

https://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/nfd231.html

(Actually used to own this lens back in the day...)

Apr 04, 2024 at 12:09 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

alundeb wrote:

Sigma just did, with their new 500mm f5.6. Now, if only Canon relents and lets Sigma make lenses for the RF mount...

Apr 04, 2024 at 01:00 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

molson wrote:
Sigma just did, with their new 500mm f5.6. Now, if only Canon relents and lets Sigma make lenses for the RF mount...

The 500 5.6 is nice, but it is heavier than the 400 4.5 and obviously a longer and slower lens. One of the reasons for picking a prime over a zoom for me would be faster aperture. f/5.6 I have covered with zooms.

Apr 04, 2024 at 01:13 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

garyvot wrote:
The Nikon is good, but it is merely playing catch up.

https://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/nfd231.html

(Actually used to own this lens back in the day...)

Gotta love f/4.5...
Adding AF and VR/IS, improving the optics and shaving off some ounces at the same time is not a bad catch-up. Wonder why it took 40 years if it was that easy. Maybe the ketch-up effect?

Apr 04, 2024 at 02:17 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

alundeb wrote:
The 500 5.6 is nice, but it is heavier than the 400 4.5 and obviously a longer and slower lens. One of the reasons for picking a prime over a zoom for me would be faster aperture. f/5.6 I have covered with zooms.

400mm is too short for most wildlife (outside of a zoo) and with a 1.4x or 2x TC attached to it, it ends up being f/6.3 or f/8 (and heavier than the Sigma).

Apr 04, 2024 at 05:24 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

molson wrote:
This probably belongs in a thread of its own, but my R5 and lenses arrived yesterday, and I am really impressed with the build quality of the body and lenses - the fit and finish is a bit nicer than my Nikon gear (especially the Nikkor Z lenses made in China and Thailand) and a huge step up from the Fuji gear I had. No more sloppy lens mounts!

When will you be listing them on the B&S Forum?

Apr 04, 2024 at 09:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

molson
• • • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

Imagemaster wrote:

I'm actually quite pleased with everything so far. I may even have to take back some of the disparaging remarks I made about Canon over the past couple of years...

Apr 04, 2024 at 11:54 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

molson wrote:
400mm is too short for most wildlife (outside of a zoo)

I see lots of wildlife and birds outside a zoo, with the bare lens, even on full frame cameras, in the Nikon 400/4.5 image thread.

If we were talking about 300 mm, I would tend to agree more. In any case, when light challenged, it is part of the game to give up some reach. I am not arguing that 400/4.5 is a better place to be overall than 500/5.6, but that the 400/4.5 option has its own place.

Apr 05, 2024 at 01:58 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

alundeb wrote:
I see lots of wildlife and birds outside a zoo, with the bare lens, even on full frame cameras, in the Nikon 400/4.5 image thread..

And sometimes 400mm is too long... but where I live, most of the animals I'm trying to photography don't tolerate you getting that close. For that range, I would rather carry a zoom lens.

Biggs Orca Closeup

NIKON Z 7_2    NIKKOR Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S lens    400mm    f/8.0    1/500s    110 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 05, 2024 at 09:18 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

400mm ff equivalent is my most used on digital. Hardly any wildlife images to show for it although I suppose if you use a blind could be different.

I've used much shorter though, prefer a zoom

Apr 05, 2024 at 10:41 AM
groob
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

Imagemaster wrote:

I put the over/under at 5 months.

Apr 06, 2024 at 10:45 PM
Planetwide
• • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

molson wrote:
Like many people, I've praised the Sony 200-600 and Nikon 180-600 zooms for their internal focusing, but I've gradually come around to liking Canon's telescoping zooms just to be able to fit them in a sensible-sized camera bag. There's no perfect solution, unfortunately.

+1 Same here

Apr 07, 2024 at 07:28 AM
robert_in_ca
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

AmbientMike wrote:
400mm ff equivalent is my most used on digital. Hardly any wildlife images to show for it although I suppose if you use a blind could be different.

I've used much shorter though, prefer a zoom

That really depends on what one is shooting and where. In certain parks and conservatories in Tanzania and in South Africa, or in the Pantanal, 400mm is plenty when shooting mammals.

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S lens    400mm    f/2.8    1/1250s    1250 ISO    +0.3 EV  

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S lens    400mm    f/2.8    1/800s    5000 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Apr 07, 2024 at 02:29 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

robert_in_ca wrote:
That really depends on what one is shooting and where. In certain parks and conservatories in Tanzania and in South Africa, or in the Pantanal, 400mm is plenty when shooting mammals.

We can't all just ask our driver to get closer to the subject...

Apr 07, 2024 at 03:02 PM
FaulknersFoto

p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

I wish Canon had an equivalent to the Nikon PF 300. First time I saw it I thought it was an 85 or 135. Seen someone use it as a remote and it really opens up the options. It would be great to have something light like on hand too.

Apr 09, 2024 at 04:50 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

molson wrote:
We can't all just ask our driver to get closer to the subject...

But we can go to a U.S. zoo and get as good or better shots than some photographers get from going to Africa or S. America. Even with a 300mm.

Apr 09, 2024 at 05:47 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.