New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3              7       8       end

Super telephoto lens rumors?

garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

Well, there is still the 400 DO II at 4.5lbs, plus 1.4x and adapter, so roughly 5lbs. This gets you a 560mm at f/5.6. It's still heavier than the Nikon, albeit a third stop faster, and still easily hand-holdable.

But I do wish Canon would resurrect the DO designs for something other than the comical f/11 lenses.

Mar 30, 2024 at 06:12 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

artsupreme wrote:
I would like to see an aperture chart comparison for these mega-zooms that show the respective apertures at each focal length. The Canon 200-800, Sony 200-600, and Nikon 180-600, and might as well throw in the Canon 100-500

The 200-800 looks more appealing to me because of the 800mm, 100-500 lighter than the 200-600's. 3rd party 150-600's nothing new.

Mar 30, 2024 at 10:06 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

ivancook wrote:
RF400mm F2.8 L IS USM / 6.37 lbs / $11,999.00
R5 / 1.63 lbs / $2,999.00
R3 / 2.23 lbs / $4,499.00

NIKKOR Z 600mm f/6.3 VR S / 3.24 lbs / $4,799.95
Z8 / 2.00 lbs / $3,699.95
Z9 / 2.95 lbs / $5,499.95

Don't get me wrong, I prefer my R3 to the Z8 or Z9, but the ability to get a Z8 + 600 6.3 for less $$$ than just the Canon lens and at ~2.75 lbs less makes a lot of sense if you mainly shoot birds at around f8. That lens is about the same weight as the Canon RF 100-500.

Sigma C is 600 at 6.3, about 3/4 lb heavier but zooms, much less expensive.

Mar 30, 2024 at 10:11 AM
nmerc_photos
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

ivancook wrote:
I'm having major envy of Nikon's PF primes. I've heard about the supposed Canon 200-500 f4, but any rumors of new, lighter primes? a reboot of the DO series? or even a redesign of their 600 f4?

as much as I would love for Canon to start competing with regards to wildlife lenses, it doesn't seem like they have any intent to do so.

seems they are happier fulfilling the professional photojournalism + sports segment rather than the more niche wildlife photographers or hobbyists. potentially understandably so. I imagine Canon follows the money, and the money goes to short focal length, zooms, and low MP bodies with high FPS.

I've heard nothing about any new wildlife lenses, and after they gutted the 100-300 and 200-500 by not including built in TC's, I had to make my decision to leave

AmbientMike wrote:
I felt pretty stupid for listening to the people having intense desires for nikon teles on here after running into a guy using the 500/5.6. He had it on a Z9 and a tripod!!! Not lightweight setup

The Z9 is close 2x the weight of the R5, Z8 still the weight of a big DSLR which is supposedly so heavy according to the mirrorless crowd.

Canon already one upped the competition since their recently released 200-600 goes to 800mm. Nobody else has a 100-300, either. Z9 + 500/5.6 isn't much, if any, lighter than the 400/4 on the R5

The Nikon 500 f5.6 is almost 6 years old at this point and still only weighs 3.22lbs lol. Who would use that on a tripod??

And why are you comparing Canon's most recent and more expensive zoom(s) to 6 year old equipment?

If anything - what you've stated should be pretty embarrassing for Canon

artsupreme wrote:
I would like to see an aperture chart comparison for these mega-zooms that show the respective apertures at each focal length. The Canon 200-800, Sony 200-600, and Nikon 180-600, and might as well throw in the Canon 100-500

I made this little table for ya.

Pretty interesting, I wasn't expecting the results.

The Sony 100-400 looks garbage... only at f4.5 from 100mm - 115mm, and then is stuck at it's slowest f5.6 from 162 - 400mm. Same with the Sony 200-600 that is at f6.3 all the way from 310 - 600mm.

RF 100-500 looks excellent as expected. RF 200-800 is alright.

Nikon 180-600 looks better than I was expecting.

I see people often use 1.4x TC's with their zooms, so I added that in.

Edited on Apr 02, 2024 at 01:18 PM · View previous versions

Apr 02, 2024 at 12:24 PM
docusync
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

nmerc_photos wrote:
I've heard nothing about any new wildlife lenses, and after they gutted the 100-300 and 200-500 by not including built in TC's, I had to make my decision to leave

Is there another 100-300/2.8 that has a TC? I'm not sure Canon even announced a 200-500?

nmerc_photos wrote:
And why are you comparing Canon's most recent and more expensive zoom(s) to 6 year old equipment?

I believe the reason is not the lens but the camera. The Z9 weighs 1.3kg+ alone. You can use it as a weapon if needed

Apr 02, 2024 at 12:40 PM
nmerc_photos
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

docusync wrote:
Is there another 100-300/2.8 that has a TC? I'm not sure Canon even announced a 200-500?

I believe the reason is not the lens but the camera. The Z9 weighs 1.3kg+ alone. You can use it as a weapon if needed

Not that I'm aware of. Perhaps I didn't word it correctly. It's not that Canon announced either lens, with or without TC - but that the rumors were saying Canon was going to introduce the 100-300 and 200-500 with built in 1.4x TC. The rumors were exciting.

If they had been true, I would own both of those lenses and they would be great. But without the built in TC's, the lenses aren't viable for me and were a big disappointment. My personal view is that spending more than $6K for a lens without a built in TC in 2024 is silly.

Once the 100-300 was released and I owned it and sold it, I swapped to Nikon. I think it would be awfully strange if the 200-500 comes out with a built in TC, but I guess it is a possibility.

I figured he might have been talking about the weight of the body, but his point was awfully made - as he started out trying to talk poorly about the Nikon PF lenses which are the best (and only) of all brands for what they are (lightweight with amazing IQ, and close to "best" apertures in the case of the 800PF) and then tried to illustrate his point with an irrelevant comparison

Apr 02, 2024 at 12:49 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

nmerc_photos wrote:
I figured he might have been talking about the weight of the body, but his point was awfully made - as he started out trying to talk poorly about the Nikon PF lenses which are the best (and only) of all brands for what they are (lightweight with amazing IQ, and close to "best" apertures in the case of the 800PF) and then tried to illustrate his point with an irrelevant comparison

Nikon's PF lenses are wonderful - it's just unfortunate that some of the weight savings from those lenses seemed to have ended up being added to their camera bodies and shorter lenses.

Apr 02, 2024 at 12:56 PM
nmerc_photos
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

molson wrote:
Nikon's PF lenses are wonderful - it's just unfortunate that some of the weight savings from those lenses seemed to have ended up being added to their camera bodies and shorter lenses.

Agree.

My personal expectation is that they'll release a lightweight APS-C mirrorless, which would take full advantage of the PF lenses.

Imagine a 30MP crop sensor body that weighs 1.4 - 1.5lbs and then pairing it with a 3lb 400 4.5 or 600 6.3.

Personally I prefer the bigger, heavier bodies and the longer battery life that comes with - but I know many don't.

Apr 02, 2024 at 01:01 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

nmerc_photos wrote:
Personally I prefer the bigger, heavier bodies and the longer battery life that comes with - but I know many don't.

I prefer the slightly larger bodies for handling, just not the weight when it comes to packing them around. I think the R3 is a nice compromise - the body (without battery) weighs about the same as (actually slightly less than) a Nikon Z8, but it handles much better (and the battery life is vastly better too).

Apr 02, 2024 at 01:17 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

nmerc_photos wrote:
Agree.

My personal expectation is that they'll release a lightweight APS-C mirrorless, which would take full advantage of the PF lenses.

Imagine a 30MP crop sensor body that weighs 1.4 - 1.5lbs and then pairing it with a 3lb 400 4.5 or 600 6.3.

NIkon has been pretty persisently against releasing a quality APS-C body. They pretty much gave up on higher-end APS-C after the D300, aside from the tease that was the D500 (great body, but it never got an update or any real glass to match aside from the 2 PF tele's).

It's actually the main reason I got into Canon, I wanted an APS-C body with a FF option and neither Nikon or Sony offered a decent higher-end APS-C body. The R7, for all its issues, is the only higher-end APS-C body with both an FF pairing (for a 2 body system) and decent ergonomics.

Apr 02, 2024 at 01:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

nmerc_photos
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

molson wrote:
I prefer the slightly larger bodies for handling, just not the weight when it comes to packing them around. I think the R3 is a nice compromise - the body (without battery) weighs about the same as (actually slightly less than) a Nikon Z8, but it handles much better (and the battery life is vastly better too).

Agree here as well, the R3 was my favorite body ergonomically. Shame about the low MP for my usage.

mawz wrote:
NIkon has been pretty persisently against releasing a quality APS-C body. They pretty much gave up on higher-end APS-C after the D300, aside from the tease that was the D500 (great body, but it never got an update or any real glass to match aside from the 2 PF tele's).

It's actually the main reason I got into Canon, I wanted an APS-C body with a FF option and neither Nikon or Sony offered a decent higher-end APS-C body. The R7, for all its issues, is the only higher-end APS-C body with both an FF pairing (for a 2 body
...Show more

I think they might surprise the world as they have been with their move to mirrorless.

For a decade or decades people didn't think twice about Nikon, and they were irrelevant especially on the mirrorless front.

I don't know why, but I just have a feeling that an APS-C body with the PF lenses would be a godsend for more casual photographers.

There have been lots of speculators about APS-C, as well as doing the 100-300 and 200-500 that Canon is doing, but with built in TC's. Could be some big moves for Nikon if they capitalize on it.

I think the timing is perfect for Nikon, as a significant number of Canon/Sony shooters have switched recently, and there's a whole horde more waiting on the sidelines for some more promising releases from Nikon or more disappointing ones from Canon/Sony to swap over. It seems Nikon realizes that and is doing whatever it takes to get people into their ecosystem.

Apr 02, 2024 at 01:30 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

mawz wrote:
It's actually the main reason I got into Canon, I wanted an APS-C body with a FF option and neither Nikon or Sony offered a decent higher-end APS-C body. The R7, for all its issues, is the only higher-end APS-C body with both an FF pairing (for a 2 body system) and decent ergonomics.

I recently bought my wife a Canon R7 and the little RF 100-400 zoom to replace her old Lumix G95, to take on a whale watching trip. I was so impressed with the R7's AF performance compared to my Z8 that I decided to take the plunge and switch completely over to Canon. My new gear is scheduled to arrive tomorrow...

Apr 02, 2024 at 01:38 PM
cpe1991
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

molson wrote:
I recently bought my wife a Canon R7 and the little RF 100-400 zoom to replace her old Lumix G95, to take on a whale watching trip. I was so impressed with the R7's AF performance compared to my Z8 that I decided to take the plunge and switch completely over to Canon. My new gear is scheduled to arrive tomorrow...

Did the same for my wife. Like them so much I borrow them to use instead of my R5/100-500mm.

Apr 02, 2024 at 03:01 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

molson wrote:
I was so impressed with the R7's AF performance compared to my Z8 that I decided to take the plunge and switch completely over to Canon. My new gear is scheduled to arrive tomorrow...

Wait, this post says April 2nd on it... ??

Apr 02, 2024 at 04:57 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

nmerc_photos wrote:
as much as I would love for Canon to start competing with regards to wildlife lenses, it doesn't seem like they have any intent to do so.

seems they are happier fulfilling the professional photojournalism + sports segment rather than the more niche wildlife photographers or hobbyists. potentially understandably so. I imagine Canon follows the money, and the money goes to short focal length, zooms, and low MP bodies with high FPS.

The
...Show more

If you want to talk about old lenses, the 150-600's have been around forever and the 200-600 & 180-200 have less zoom range even though they cost 2x as much. And aren't lighter

Canon has 200-800 & 100-300 nobody else has, and yes they are absolutely competing. I find it ridiculous that you don't think so

Apr 02, 2024 at 09:25 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

AmbientMike wrote:
Canon has 200-800 & 100-300 nobody else has, and yes they are absolutely competing. I find it ridiculous that you don't think so

They're just not competing in a few specific niches at the moment - like the Nikon PF telephotos.

Apr 02, 2024 at 09:32 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

molson wrote:
They're just not competing in a few specific niches at the moment - like the Nikon PF telephotos.

Even there, if you get a Z9 that really cuts in to any lighter lens. I think it's Z9 + 500pf that's about the same as 400/4 on the R5. 100-500 roughly the same as 500pf, 600pf same 6.3 speed vs old 150-600 and not a lot lighter

I use the the 180 Tamron I got in 2005. Comparing 500pf to the 200 800 & 100 300 sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Apr 02, 2024 at 11:16 PM
middlerockies
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

Iíve been hoping to see some PF style lenses from Canon, as well, but they donít seem to be interested in competing with Nikon these days. Itís all about Sony now. Nikon is cranking out amazing lenses at affordable prices, and now the Z9 and Z8 at much lower pricesóCanon wants nothing to do with that. The mid-tier DO style lenses would be extra slow or priced too high if they do them. If Nikon gets a few more details ironed out with their bodies theyíre going to make a run here.

Apr 03, 2024 at 01:06 AM
drobertfranz
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

middlerockies wrote:
Iíve been hoping to see some PF style lenses from Canon, as well, but they donít seem to be interested in competing with Nikon these days. Itís all about Sony now. Nikon is cranking out amazing lenses at affordable prices, and now the Z9 and Z8 at much lower pricesóCanon wants nothing to do with that. The mid-tier DO style lenses would be extra slow or priced too high if they do them. If Nikon gets a few more details ironed out with their bodies theyíre going to make a run here.

I can tell you in the nature and wildlife photography circles Nikon has made huge inroads of late. I lead photo tours and just completed 4 tours, 2 in Yellowstone, 2 in Alaska and for the 1st time ever I was the only Canon shooter in all 4 tours. Nikon was far ahead followed by Sony. Canon was tied with OM and Fuji. In years past Canon dominated. Perhaps just an anomaly but interesting just the same. I've been a Canon shooter since 1992 and never really considered switching systems, not out of fandom, I just didn't see any competitive advantages worth changing systems over. That may be changing as I had a chance to use some Nikon and Sony gear during my tours. I really can't understand Canons current philosophy. They led the way with DO optics and lenses with built in TC's and then completely dropped the ball. I'm not a fan of their RF zoom designs including both 70-200'[s, 100-500mm and the new 200-800mm. I used the Nikon 180-600 and Sony 200-600mm and was very impressed. Give me internal zoom lenses any day of the week. The 100-300mm F2.8 is great but why the hell didn't they put a built in TC like they did with the stellar EF200-400mm. They really need to hit it out of the park this year with the new bodies they are hopefully going to announce. Love my R5's but really showing their age. Was able to use a Z8, Z9 and A7V, The faster readout speeds of the nikons was very noticeable when doing fast action birds in flight photography. Hoping for good things from Canon this year. If not

Apr 03, 2024 at 09:28 AM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Super telephoto lens rumors?

drobertfranz wrote:
I can tell you in the nature and wildlife photography circles Nikon has made huge inroads of late. I lead photo tours and just completed 4 tours, 2 in Yellowstone, 2 in Alaska and for the 1st time ever I was the only Canon shooter in all 4 tours. Nikon was far ahead followed by Sony. Canon was tied with OM and Fuji. In years past Canon dominated. Perhaps just an anomaly but interesting just the same. I've been a Canon shooter since 1992 and never really considered switching systems, not out of fandom, I just didn't see any competitive
...Show more

I've seen the same. A lot of long time Canon shooters have been jumping ship to Sony and Nikon.

I get why you don't like the 100-500 or 200-800, but what is wrong with the RF 70-200 f/2.8?

Apr 03, 2024 at 10:19 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.