New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Tamron 28-75 G2 for Nikon Z Announced

ArizonaImage
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tamron 28-75 G2 for Nikon Z Announced

Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III VXD G2 lens for Nikon Z-mount key features and additional information:

Full-Frame | f/2.8 to f/22
Updated Optical Design
VXD Linear Motor Focus Mechanism
Minimum Focusing Distance: 7.1″
Tamron Lens Utility Connector Port

- Improved optical design increases resolution and enhances imaging performance.

- Updated ergonomics

Mar 28, 2024 at 09:10 AM
armd
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tamron 28-75 G2 for Nikon Z Announced

Yes, interesting release and will wait to see the MTF. The Nikon version (G1) was a bit soft on the edges for my liking.

Mar 28, 2024 at 09:14 AM
billsnature
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tamron 28-75 G2 for Nikon Z Announced

Will be interesting to see how this compares optically to the Nikon branded 28-75 F2.8 which I believe is the gen 1 and the common range it shares with the Z 24-120. I have the Gen 2 Sony version and like it a lot.

Mar 28, 2024 at 09:15 AM
loudtiger
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tamron 28-75 G2 for Nikon Z Announced

Curious why they didn't Nikon brand this one as well.

Mar 28, 2024 at 09:21 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tamron 28-75 G2 for Nikon Z Announced

armd wrote:
Yes, interesting release and will wait to see the MTF. The Nikon version (G1) was a bit soft on the edges for my liking.

Should be identical to the E-mount version, which was notably sharper, and also has much smoother bokeh, which was my biggest complaint when I owned the first version on Sony. There are tons of reviews for this lens on E-mount if you want to get an idea of performance.

Mar 28, 2024 at 10:34 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tamron 28-75 G2 for Nikon Z Announced

This is a better optical formula than the G1 for $200 less than the G1. Brilliant stuff It's almost like this is what they should have done instead of rebadging/upcharging the middling G1 in the first place. Better late than never...this must mean the Sony G3 is right around the corner!

Edited on Mar 28, 2024 at 10:47 AM · View previous versions

Mar 28, 2024 at 10:35 AM
fjablo
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tamron 28-75 G2 for Nikon Z Announced

Really good news! Hopefully means we also get the 20-40mm f2.8 and 28-200mm down the line.

Mar 28, 2024 at 10:46 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tamron 28-75 G2 for Nikon Z Announced

If the difference betwen Gen I and Gen II is similar to the E-Mount versions this will be a big improvement in many ways.

Looks like the Z mount got two great new lenses from Tamron this week.

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:42 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tamron 28-75 G2 for Nikon Z Announced

1bwana1 wrote:
If the difference betwen Gen I and Gen II is similar to the E-Mount versions this will be a big improvement in many ways.

What’s the second?

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:57 AM
genjy
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tamron 28-75 G2 for Nikon Z Announced

I have been shooting with the FE version of this lens for like 8 months now. I just keep it on my Sony A7IV while my A7RIII gets fast primes. I had a Sony 24-70 GM (mk1), and this Tamron G2 is lighter, smaller, and sharper at half the price. I also need 75mm more than 24mm, so it's been a good lens.

Mar 28, 2024 at 07:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Alistair1
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tamron 28-75 G2 for Nikon Z Announced

Great news if you just purchased the Nikon version.

Mar 28, 2024 at 10:41 PM
bernardl
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tamron 28-75 G2 for Nikon Z Announced

1bwana1 wrote:

The 28-400mm isn't a Tamron lens. Tamron has no such offerings in their line up. Whether Tamron was involved in the design or manufacturing of this lens is unknown.

But it would be totally fine even if it were. Tamron is basically a Sony group company and they are known for being responsible for the design and manufacturing of many lenses sold by Sony under the Sony brand.

Cheers,
Bernard

Mar 29, 2024 at 03:47 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tamron 28-75 G2 for Nikon Z Announced

bernardl wrote:
But it would be totally fine even if it were. Tamron is basically a Sony group company and they are known for being responsible for the design and manufacturing of many lenses sold by Sony under the Sony brand.

Cheers,
Bernard

Why so defensive?

Tamron is the largest lens manufacturer in the World. They make OEM labeled lenses for many of the major camera brands, Sony and Nikon included. Most have no coresponding version in the Tamron labeled line. The situation with the 28-75 f/2.8 and the 28-200 f_2.8 being known older versions of an existing Tamron lens is a very rare exception to the norm. It looks like that experiment is destined to end soon as Tamron is now selling the new version in Z mount under its own name at a good price. Probably a good thing to end it.

Tamron is known in the industry for their expertise in consumer quality super zoom lenses sold under a variety OEM names. They are the best with this category of lenses.

So, you are correct, it is not a bad thing.

Mar 29, 2024 at 05:00 AM
bernardl
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tamron 28-75 G2 for Nikon Z Announced

1bwana1 wrote:
Why so defensive?

Tamron is the largest lens manufacturer in the World. They make OEM labeled lenses for many of the major camera brands, Sony and Nikon included. Most have no coresponding version in the Tamron labeled line. The situation with the 28-75 f/2.8 and the 28-200 f_2.8 being known older versions of an existing Tamron lens is a very rare exception to the norm. It looks like that experiment is destined to end soon as Tamron is now selling the new version in Z mount under its own name at a good price. Probably a good thing to end
...Show more

Defensive? Not at all. Just sticking to facts as usual.

Cheers,
Bernard

Mar 29, 2024 at 05:11 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tamron 28-75 G2 for Nikon Z Announced

bernardl wrote:
Defensive? Not at all. Just sticking to facts as usual.

Cheers,
Bernard

It reads very defensive. Why bring up Sony in a thread about a very good new Tamron lens offering for the Nikon Z mount? No one else did.

Tamron is not a Sony company. Sony only owns a very minority share position in Tamron as it does in a number of companies.

In fact almost 40% of Tamron photographic lens revenue is from OEM lenses made for and sold under other company brands.

Just the facts.

Mar 29, 2024 at 05:58 AM
bernardl
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tamron 28-75 G2 for Nikon Z Announced

That's your interpretation, the question being why you do read my comment that way?

Out of curiosity, what elements do you have about the 28-400mm being a Tamron design?

Cheers,
Bernard

Edited on Mar 29, 2024 at 07:00 AM · View previous versions

Mar 29, 2024 at 06:47 AM
unchecked
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tamron 28-75 G2 for Nikon Z Announced

Small little nitpick..

Sony Group is the biggest shareholder at 14.8%. https://www.tamron.com/global/ir/stockbond/stockbond_04.html

Mar 29, 2024 at 06:57 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tamron 28-75 G2 for Nikon Z Announced

unchecked wrote:
Small little nitpick..

Sony Group is the biggest shareholder at 14.8%. https://www.tamron.com/global/ir/stockbond/stockbond_04.html

Exactly. Which is a small minority shareholder as I said. I would classify above 33% as a large minority share holder, and of course above 50% as a majority shareholder that drives the boat.

Mar 29, 2024 at 09:38 AM
bernardl
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tamron 28-75 G2 for Nikon Z Announced

1bwana1 wrote:
Exactly. Which is a small minority shareholder as I said. I would classify above 33% as a large minority share holder, and of course above 50% as a majority shareholder that drives the boat.

You are not too familiar with the way business works in Japan it seems.

Regardless, why are you claiming that the 28-400mm is a Tamron design?

Cheers,
Bernard

Mar 29, 2024 at 04:56 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Tamron 28-75 G2 for Nikon Z Announced

bernardl wrote:
You are not too familiar with the way business works in Japan it seems.

If you are talking about Keiretsu, you are incorrect again. I am very familiar with how it works, and how it affects ownership and finance, other business association, and corporate governance. It plays a big role when buying and selling Japanese companies as you know.

bernardl wrote:
Regardless, why are you claiming that the 28-400mm is a Tamron design?

Cheers,
Bernard

I actually never said that. All I said is it "looks" like the Nikon Z mounts is getting two new Tamron lenses". You made the direct connection in your first defensive post and all of your subsequent posts. Not me. There is a very good reason that I used the term "looks like" rather than make a direct claim. I will reserve my final opinion until I actually get my hands on one. I once spoke to senior leadership at Tamron about OEM lenses. He confirmed Tamron makes many OEM lenses for Nikon and many other brands. It is a huge and publicly reported part of Tamrons business. No big deal we all know that to be true without him saying so. He would not say which exact models they make OEM. But he did say this. (not in quotes, but paraphrasing)

We are very strong in OEM production of aspherical lens elements and certain types of lenses, super zooms being one of the types where they lead the industry. (I think you can see this in Tamrons own branded line.) He said, it shouldn't be hard to figure out. Tamron uses certain kinds of composite materials in its lenses. So, if it looks like a Tamron, and feels like a Tamron, odds are very good that it is made by Tamron.

This can take the form of complete lens made to Tamron or customer specifications ready for sale. Chassis parts, lens sets complete or partial, and I am many other forms of componentry.

So, as I said, I will wait until I see and use the new lens prior to forming my own opinion on whether it "looks and feels" like a Tamron. This is what we have to go on. Heck Nikon still won't acknowledge that Tamron make the old Tamron version 28-75, and 70-180 lenses that Nikon sells under its own name even though we know that is true for sure.

Tamron does already make a lens reasonably close to this in the 50-400mm E-Mount.

Mar 29, 2024 at 05:41 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.