New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

High frame rate camera

vbnut
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · High frame rate camera

I haven't ever used one, but I was impressed when I read about the OM-1 being able to shoot at 50 fps and 120 fps with AF and AE locked at the first exposure. When Canon released firmware version 1.2.1 that added the ability to shoot up to 50 images a up to 195 fps I was very excited. While I recognize that there are few situations were it is applicable, I have enjoyed trying to use it to capture ball compression in indoor and beach volleyball.

Now, imagine a camera that can capture 156.3 trillion frames per second. I tried downloading and reading the PDF available at the full paper in Nature, but it was beyond me. Still seems pretty cool.

Mar 28, 2024 at 12:37 AM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · High frame rate camera

Back in the early 70s while in college I worked for a company that made aerial cameras for the military. We had a camera that would shoot a million frames per secomd if I remember correctly. A strip of movie film was loaded into the curved back of the camera and lens/shutter rotated exposing a strip of film.

Mar 28, 2024 at 01:37 PM
vbnut
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · High frame rate camera

Norm Shapiro wrote:
Back in the early 70s while in college I worked for a company that made aerial cameras for the military. We had a camera that would shoot a million frames per secomd if I remember correctly. A strip of movie film was loaded into the curved back of the camera and lens/shutter rotated exposing a strip of film.

Wow, I can't imagine doing that with film.

Mar 28, 2024 at 01:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · High frame rate camera

1million fps would require some interesting film stock as it would be shredded/burnt on its trip through. i have seen very high speed 10kfps smoke the film going through it as it is a one shot. it was used on sharks breaching by invite to chomp on some meat

Mar 28, 2024 at 02:38 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · High frame rate camera

Norm Shapiro wrote:

Yes, it is nothing new. There have been special scientific cameras capable of capturing a speeding bullet since the 70's or before then.

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:52 AM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · High frame rate camera

The film was stationary. The lens rotated during filming making one pass to expose the strip of film. Run time of the image at 16 or 24 fps was only a couple of seconds long.

Mar 29, 2024 at 01:35 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.