New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Film Is Not Dead Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Another new film camera!

coralnut
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Another new film camera!

Desmolicious wrote:
The key are the lenses, the ability to focus and the scanning. The Rollei A110 has a fantastic Tessar lens that you can focus, and it has really good auto exposure. Same for the Pentax Auto 110.
I then scan them as carefully as I do with any of my other formats using my Z7 (D750 and D850 in the past). I don't do anything different - I just treat them the same as if I took them w a fancier camera.

It's good to know that you can get decent results with rigorous technique. No special scanning methods? You mean you're just using a 60mm lens on your ES-2 and using a tiny fraction of your sensor to scan that fingernail sized negative? Or do you have a bellows setup that allows you to go to 2:1?

Back in the day of one hour photo labs we were basically given garbage - whether we shot 110 or 35mm. I remember so often being excited to get my pics back, then so disappointed when I saw the throw away results. Even then I remember looking at the negatives and noticing they were totally fine.
Try scanning some of those old negs from 30+ years ago. You may be surprised as to what you actually have.

Bad color prints from the local labs are what got me interested in transparencies. With the tools available at the time slide film was the best way to avoid bad lab printing.

Apr 03, 2024 at 04:11 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Another new film camera!

coralnut wrote:
It's good to know that you can get decent results with rigorous technique. No special scanning methods? You mean you're just using a 60mm lens on your ES-2 and using a tiny fraction of your sensor to scan that fingernail sized negative? Or do you have a bellows setup that allows you to go to 2:1?

Bad color prints from the local labs are what got me interested in transparencies. With the tools available at the time slide film was the best way to avoid bad lab printing.

I either use the 60G lens and crop, or I use the 60D lens and close up rings.

Apr 03, 2024 at 04:26 PM
Geoff D F
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Another new film camera!

coralnut wrote:

We have followed a similar path. Bad prints led me to shooting slides too. I was always struck by how goods slides looked under a loupe - like a professional photo in a magazine - compared to the dull prints from mini labs. I find it ironic that I am getting better results today from film today with a home MILC scanning setup than I did when film was in its heyday.

Apr 03, 2024 at 05:32 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Another new film camera!

Geoff D F wrote.. I find it ironic that I am getting better results today from film today with a home MILC scanning setup than I did when film was in its heyday.

Yup, I never knew it could be this good!

Apr 04, 2024 at 02:48 AM
coralnut
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Another new film camera!

Today film can be really good when you're scanning with a digicam and viewing on a monitor.
But if you want prints it's not so simple today. I think that part is actually harder.

Apr 04, 2024 at 05:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Another new film camera!

coralnut wrote:
Today film can be really good when you're scanning with a digicam and viewing on a monitor.
But if you want prints it's not so simple today. I think that part is actually harder.

No issues printing - better than before as my monitor is calibrated, I export in the resolution I want with the sharpening I want for the type of paper used. And I make sure to click on the magic "auto correct off" button if sending out to be printed.

That being said, I really want to wet print directly from B&W neg to paper again. Need to manifest that.

Apr 04, 2024 at 10:55 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Another new film camera!

In another youtube review his camera shot 3-4 blanks on every ‘roll’.

Lomo said these cameras they handed out to reviewers were ‘prototypes’ and the issue has been fixed on the production ones. Still doesn’t give you the warm fuzzies as both LC-A 120s I owned had shutters that failed like that.
I know it’s not the same camera, but it is a Lomo product and perhaps is made by the same people.

Apr 04, 2024 at 11:04 PM
coralnut
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Another new film camera!

Desmolicious wrote:
No issues printing - ... I export in the resolution I want with the sharpening I want for the type of paper used. And I make sure to click on the magic "auto correct off" button if sending out to be printed.

That is an entire can of worms that I have not opened -- learning to balance resolution and sharpening for the size of the print and the type of printing stock. It's a bewildering proposition. Can you recommend any guides for getting started with that?

Apr 05, 2024 at 08:07 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Another new film camera!

coralnut wrote:
That is an entire can of worms that I have not opened -- learning to balance resolution and sharpening for the size of the print and the type of printing stock. It's a bewildering proposition. Can you recommend any guides for getting started with that?

I use LightRoom, and to print I always select 300 dpi and sharpening for matte paper when I export the files.

I am sure there are others here who are much better versed for printing, but what I do always turns out really well!

Apr 06, 2024 at 01:59 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Another new film camera!

Apr 18, 2024 at 02:13 PM
       end

FM Forums | Film Is Not Dead Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.