New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Film Is Not Dead Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Another new film camera!

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Another new film camera!

Why didn't anyone tell me about this? I love 110 film! Got a cr@p tonne of Fuji Superia in my freezer.
You can focus this camera and it has AE from 30 secs to 1/250! The flash is detachable. Sweet!

I also bet it doesn't scratch film...

Mar 27, 2024 at 05:14 PM
geekcop
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Another new film camera!

You have frozen 110 film? Geez. That's amazing.

Mar 27, 2024 at 08:51 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Another new film camera!

geekcop wrote:
You have frozen 110 film? Geez. That's amazing.

A couple of years ago KEH was selling off their stock and, well, what was I supposed to do?

Mar 27, 2024 at 09:23 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Another new film camera!

Funny thing in this review he complains about the colour scheme. Says it's not his thing. Completely missing the fact that his outfit is the same exact scheme as the camera!

Of course you can also get it in silver metal.

Mar 28, 2024 at 01:17 PM
panos.v
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Another new film camera!

If I was buying one I'd definitely buy the orangey creamy one. My agfamatic is silver enough thank you.

Mar 28, 2024 at 03:57 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Another new film camera!

yeah, I like the creamsicle one too.

I don't trust the results I see online as I know 110 can be very sharp if focused/scanned correctly.

Mar 28, 2024 at 07:25 PM
coralnut
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Another new film camera!

the problem with detachable flashes like that is that you need to keep them off of the camera when not in use. if you leave them on the camera and stick them in your pocket, a little flex will destroy the contacts. my Oly XA flash died this way.

Mar 29, 2024 at 07:01 AM
panos.v
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Another new film camera!

Desmolicious wrote:
yeah, I like the creamsicle one too.

I don't trust the results I see online as I know 110 can be very sharp if focused/scanned correctly.

Is it? I never got anything sharp on the agfmatic

Mar 30, 2024 at 09:42 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Another new film camera!

panos.v wrote:
Is it? I never got anything sharp on the agfmatic

I got some really sharp pics from my Rollei A110s and Pentax Auto 110s

Rollei:

Pentax:

Mar 30, 2024 at 01:37 PM
panos.v
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Another new film camera!

Desmolicious wrote:
I got some really sharp pics from my Rollei A110s and Pentax Auto 110s

Rollei:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52007105055_5631c08d1c_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52006646268_2f27930d67_c.jpg

Pentax:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53181113005_9a1242fb33_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53182862141_587cd093fd_c.jpg

That looks good actually.

Mar 31, 2024 at 03:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Another new film camera!

More from the Rollei A110

If the new Lomomatic 110 can match that image quality, I would be ecstatic. But that is a big if. The Rollei A110 was a really expensive 110 when it came out - like nutty expensive. I had three (all bought in the last few years for pennies on the dollar) and unfortunately only one remains working. The film transport fails - I guess they were not expected to be used heavily. Le sigh.

Apr 02, 2024 at 11:46 AM
bjhurley
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Another new film camera!

In form factor it reminds me a lot of the tiny Minolta 16mm film camera my father gave me as a kid. That took the worst pictures ever, though. It was a sort of pocket spy camera and I probably shot 30 or 40 rolls with it (actually they weren't rolls but little cannisters that you popped in) before I gave up.

Apr 02, 2024 at 01:50 PM
Geoff D F
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Another new film camera!

bjhurley wrote:
In form factor it reminds me a lot of the tiny Minolta 16mm film camera my father gave me as a kid. That took the worst pictures ever, though. It was a sort of pocket spy camera and I probably shot 30 or 40 rolls with it (actually they weren't rolls but little cannisters that you popped in) before I gave up.

I had a Kodak Instamatic 110 as a kid. Fixed focus, fixed aperture and shutter speed, and plastic lens. I think it a red warning lamp that must have been solar powered to warn when the exposure was too low. That thing took the worst pictures ever. You can trust me on that.

Apr 02, 2024 at 06:22 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Another new film camera!

So it's come to this.

(time for Disc film to be resurrected, so we can truly probe the depths of massive grain)

Apr 02, 2024 at 11:58 PM
coralnut
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Another new film camera!

sirimiri wrote:
So it's come to this.

While I enjoy looking at other people's images, I have no personal interest in resurrection of the 110 format. Even as a child in the 1970s I realized that it sucked. 50+ years haven't changed that. The sense of nostalgia isn't strong enough to coax me into using a format that's always been bad.

I remember when my sister was given a Kodak 110 "Pocket Instamatic 60" kit in fancy gift boxing as a birthday present. The model 60 was the top of the Pocket Instamatic line. It had a four-element 26 mm f/2.7 Ektar lens. The selling point for the 110 format was that it was so much more portable than the ubiquitous boxy "Instamatic 104" camera that used 126 cartridge film.

The 110 format produced nothing but horrible pictures. I don't know whether to blame the lens, the ridiculously tiny negative, or the lab for extremely lame quality control, but print IQ was crap compared to a 126 Instamatic. At least with the 126 format you could get a decent size print and enlargement. With 110 you were limited to very small prints that were so bad that it looked like the lab wasn't even trying.

50+ years later our family archives still have 126 prints and negatives that are keepers. I can't say that about the 110 format. Today every one of the 110 images are culls that are kept purely for the sake of nostalgia.

For anyone interested in 110, it might be worth checking out the Hipstamatic app for the iPhone. It automatically degrades your images.

That said, Huss' 110 images amaze me for how good they are. Are his Rollei and Pentax lenses that much better? Or is his scanning technique that much better than the print quality of the 1970s?

Apr 03, 2024 at 05:48 AM
bjhurley
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Another new film camera!

coralnut wrote:
For anyone interested in 110, it might be worth checking out the Hipstamatic app for the iPhone. It automatically degrades your images.

I love Hipstamatic -- I hate my phone's images with the default camera app, and instead of trying to make them look better I have better luck making them look worse. But seriously, I've taken some amazing photos with Hipstamatic, especially double exposures (which work like they do in a real camera; you enable double exposure mode). I like doing intentional camera movement in the second exposure, which creates some really cool effects. Check out the cell phone photo thread here on the FM forum for examples.

The Hipstamatic Tintype app is also great; I've taken some of my favourite portraits with that app.

Apr 03, 2024 at 10:21 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Another new film camera!

sirimiri wrote:
So it's come to this.

(time for Disc film to be resurrected, so we can truly probe the depths of massive grain)

Yes, isn't it wonderful?

Apr 03, 2024 at 12:01 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Another new film camera!

coralnut wrote:
That said, Huss' 110 images amaze me for how good they are. Are his Rollei and Pentax lenses that much better? Or is his scanning technique that much better than the print quality of the 1970s?

The key are the lenses, the ability to focus and the scanning. The Rollei A110 has a fantastic Tessar lens that you can focus, and it has really good auto exposure. Same for the Pentax Auto 110.
I then scan them as carefully as I do with any of my other formats using my Z7 (D750 and D850 in the past). I don't do anything different - I just treat them the same as if I took them w a fancier camera.

Back in the day of one hour photo labs we were basically given garbage - whether we shot 110 or 35mm. I remember so often being excited to get my pics back, then so disappointed when I saw the throw away results. Even then I remember looking at the negatives and noticing they were totally fine.
Try scanning some of those old negs from 30+ years ago. You may be surprised as to what you actually have.

I want this Lomomatic to be as good as the Rollei and Pentax, but I have to be honest and say I doubt it will be seeing the fun but not technically great results I am getting from their Minitar 32mm lens. And the fact that it's AE is based on 2 fixed aperture settings - 2.8 and 5.6 - and they do not actually say what the shutter speed breakdown is. All I know is 30 secs on B, and top speed of 1/250. But what actually are the speeds? 1 sec- 1/250? Or maybe only 1/60 and 1/250? Who knows?

I still want to try it out but would prefer to be able to return it if it is junk.

Apr 03, 2024 at 12:12 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Another new film camera!

Nice review and he has some good pics - unlike some of the other reviewers

I'm worried about him mentioning 'film advance glitches'. That is how my two of my Rollei A110s eventually failed.

Apr 03, 2024 at 12:37 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Another new film camera!

I piddy da foo who doesn't like 110!

Apr 03, 2024 at 01:55 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Film Is Not Dead Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.