New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Film Is Not Dead Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              end

On the Nikonos cameras....

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · On the Nikonos cameras....

I always wanted to try a Nikonos RS. Which lenses can also be used above water?

Nikonos RS

Mar 26, 2024 at 01:49 PM
OffTrail
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · On the Nikonos cameras....

I just bought a Nikonos V with the 80 f/4 for $200 from my local lab. They said the seals look good, and the rest of the camera seems to look and operate just fine. I mainly wanted it for rainy hikes, as this seems more fun than the Zf and 24-70 f/4 S, which is my current rainy weather camera.

Surprised at the weight, though. I always thought these were mostly plastic like the Kodak UW disposables

Mar 26, 2024 at 02:17 PM
panos.v
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · On the Nikonos cameras....

OffTrail wrote:
I just bought a Nikonos V with the 80 f/4 for $200 from my local lab. They said the seals look good, and the rest of the camera seems to look and operate just fine. I mainly wanted it for rainy hikes, as this seems more fun than the Zf and 24-70 f/4 S, which is my current rainy weather camera.

Surprised at the weight, though. I always thought these were mostly plastic like the Kodak UW disposables

It's the seals you can't see that are the problem. But for rainy use it will be more than fine. Enjoy!

Mar 26, 2024 at 03:04 PM
OffTrail
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · On the Nikonos cameras....

panos.v wrote:
It's the seals you can't see that are the problem. But for rainy use it will be more than fine. Enjoy!

Ah, understood. I'll still try to keep the main ones in good shape anyway. I don't have any intentions of submerging mine, but a bit of silicone grease goes a long way.

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:12 PM
cjocean

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · On the Nikonos cameras....

What about a fuji HD-M? It works great and itís easier to maintain. I use mine more than my nikonos just cuz Iím less paranoid about it.

Apr 17, 2024 at 06:24 AM
panos.v
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · On the Nikonos cameras....

cjocean wrote:
What about a fuji HD-M? It works great and itís easier to maintain. I use mine more than my nikonos just cuz Iím less paranoid about it.

Oh didn't know about that one!

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:29 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · On the Nikonos cameras....

As well as the Nikon V (I have green and orange) I also use the Fuji Work Record. It isn't a waterproof camera, but weather resistant as it is meant to be used on work sites. So rain is not an issue.
Superb 28mm lens, AF, an incredibly powerful built in flash - I use it for serious fill-in in bright sunlight - and for me the piece de resistance is it never turns itself off so it is always ready to go.
There are two versions - with and w/o panorama mode. Get the panorama version as it is the same money but also you can manually preset focus which you can't with the regular one. Also the panorama version actually masks off the VF in pano mode - no lame dotted lines. And that VF is huge.

It is a plastic - but solidly built camera. Nothing like the Nikons V which is a bank vault. A few years back I was skateboarding w my completely perfect like new shape green V. And took a header. The camera bounced and skipped down the road like a hockey puck. The only damage to it when I recovered it were a few very minor scrapes. I was still seriously bummed because before it was perfect! But still, the camera acted as if nothing had happened. If I did that with any of my other Nikons - F, F2 - they would have been damaged beyond repair.

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:10 AM
panos.v
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · On the Nikonos cameras....

So I found this today https://www.viejitavintage.com/products/nikonos-v-pressure-testing-service-and-annual-maintenance

Has anyone used them?

Apr 17, 2024 at 02:52 PM
panos.v
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · On the Nikonos cameras....

Desmolicious wrote:
As well as the Nikon V (I have green and orange) I also use the Fuji Work Record. It isn't a waterproof camera, but weather resistant as it is meant to be used on work sites. So rain is not an issue.
Superb 28mm lens, AF, an incredibly powerful built in flash - I use it for serious fill-in in bright sunlight - and for me the piece de resistance is it never turns itself off so it is always ready to go.
There are two versions - with and w/o panorama mode. Get the panorama version as it is the same
...Show more

Man...the more we talk about the NikV the more I want to get one back. But I think this time I'll go for green.

Apr 17, 2024 at 02:54 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · On the Nikonos cameras....

panos.v wrote:
Man...the more we talk about the NikV the more I want to get one back. But I think this time I'll go for green.

They really are the perfect 'street' camera as the 35mm lens is superb, the VF is huge, it has AE as well as manual exposure, the massive metal body makes the camera super quiet - the shutter sound is basically 'chunk' - and it is near to indestructible.

Apr 17, 2024 at 03:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · On the Nikonos cameras....

Taken w the NikkiFive and 35mm lens:

Apr 18, 2024 at 02:11 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · On the Nikonos cameras....

Are EWA Marine housings still around?

Apr 24, 2024 at 10:14 AM
sfogg
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · On the Nikonos cameras....

There are the various Konica Genba cameras in 28 and 35mm. Think there was also a 2 focal length version too. The first version of the 28mm has 8 elements, later versions dropped down to 5. I have an original 28, and a green Nikonos V. Very different cameras.

May 06, 2024 at 07:47 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · On the Nikonos cameras....

sfogg wrote:
There are the various Konica Genba cameras in 28 and 35mm. Think there was also a 2 focal length version too. The first version of the 28mm has 8 elements, later versions dropped down to 5. I have an original 28, and a green Nikonos V. Very different cameras.

Very interesting! How do you know the difference of the versions for the 28?

I think @helimat here has the 2 focal length version, and he speaks highly of it.

May 06, 2024 at 12:01 PM
sfogg
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · On the Nikonos cameras....

This is an original....

Labeled "Wide 28". Later ones say things like "Lens 28 WB" or "28 Eco."

On the original the lens 'snout' is longer and body color with silver only at the front. Later ones are considerably shorter and completely silver. The viewfinder hump is more pronounced (on the top and the rear) of the original compared to the later models.

Just did a quick search on ebay and it looks like there was the two 2 focal length version (40-60) and they had a 28-56 zoom.

May 06, 2024 at 03:49 PM
helimat
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · On the Nikonos cameras....

sfogg wrote:
This is an original....

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53703886924_c549beece5_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53703764748_18ec52795f_b.jpg

Labeled "Wide 28". Later ones say things like "Lens 28 WB" or "28 Eco."

On the original the lens 'snout' is longer and body color with silver only at the front. Later ones are considerably shorter and completely silver. The viewfinder hump is more pronounced (on the top and the rear) of the original compared to the later models.

Just did a quick search on ebay and it looks like there was the two 2 focal length version (40-60) and they had a 28-56 zoom.

I have the Genba Kantoku Wide 28 as well. It complements my Genba Kantoku DD, (40 & 60mm) albeit it is not as sharp as the DD, especially in the corners. The DD is an all-round excellent performer, and has become my 'beach cam', as the 'semi-wide' and 'semi-long' focal lengths work well for me there.

Konica Genba Kantoku Wide 28

Konica Genba Kantoku Wide 28

Konica Genba Kantoku DD

May 07, 2024 at 10:39 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · On the Nikonos cameras....

I found that another name for the original Konica 28 is the Off Road.

May 08, 2024 at 09:50 AM
grantgoodes

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · On the Nikonos cameras....

There appears to also be the Konica Genba Kantoku Zoom 28-56mm, which is a very interesting setup. Really very interesting line of cameras, though not without their flaws (prone to cracking of the plastic shutter-release and flash on/off button).

May 08, 2024 at 10:23 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · On the Nikonos cameras....

I have two Fuji Work Records - which I highly recommend - and one thing I like about this breed of cameras is the funky, interesting look that goes along with their more durable construction.

May 08, 2024 at 10:29 AM
1              end

FM Forums | Film Is Not Dead Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.