New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Looking for advice on travel based workflow

Len R

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for advice on travel based workflow

Hi, up until now I've waited until returning home from a trip to download my photos to my desktop. My next trip is a weeklong tour of the Galapagos Islands, and I plan to bring a lap top. Do you recommend downloading the photos from SD card to the laptop, or to an external drive connected to the laptop? I use Lightroom Classic for post processing. Once I return home the photos will be transferred to my desktop. There are probably other questions I don't even know to ask. All suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

Len

Mar 16, 2024 at 01:37 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for advice on travel based workflow

If you have room on your laptop, I’d transfer the photos to both your laptop as well as your external drive…for backup. As far as processing goes, that’s dependant on you, but I do a quick trip through LR mobile of a few images to post to friends and family and leave the major processing for home where I have a calibrated system.

Mar 16, 2024 at 01:59 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for advice on travel based workflow

It’s always a good thing to have two backups. Small solid state hard drives are not expensive. I would take two along with your laptop.

Mar 16, 2024 at 02:33 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for advice on travel based workflow

I agree with Harry. He's a travel pro, although retired. Mostly, probably. Harry?

Anyway, I also travel with a set of OTG cables, that lets me plug a card reader into my Android phone, copy the images on a SD/CF card to the phone's internal card. Then, I replace the card reader with my Samsung T5 500GB SSD drive, and transfer the files from the phone to the SSD. Also, I keep the original files on the original cards, and save them, too. When I have the laptop with me, I'll use it as a relay station (to the SSD), instead of the phone, but the phone provides a complete backup, for backups. The phone is no slower than the (new-ish) laptop.

Edit: I agree with Norm, too.

Mar 16, 2024 at 02:42 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for advice on travel based workflow

I always travel with a laptop and at least 1 (usually 2) external SSDs. At the end of a day’s shooting I download to the laptop, do a quick cull, and then copy to at least 1 SSD. If I have time I’ll also ingest into a Capture One catalog, add metadata, and pick a few to email to whoever. I find it easier to cull and add metadata every day or two than to have a massive amount to do when I get home.

Mar 16, 2024 at 03:21 PM
Len R

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for advice on travel based workflow

Thanks for the suggestions. Using an external drive makes sense.

Mar 16, 2024 at 03:41 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for advice on travel based workflow

I carry 2 SSDs and copy to both, run the LR catalog from one of them then use that drive to import the travel catalog to my main catalog on my desktop when I get home.

Mar 16, 2024 at 03:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for advice on travel based workflow

mcbroomf wrote:
I carry 2 SSDs and copy to both, run the LR catalog from one of them then use that drive to import the travel catalog to my main catalog on my desktop when I get home.

This is analogous to what I do. Since I edit on 2 Macs, I keep my Capture One catalog on an external Thunderbolt 4 SSD and carry a clone of it—plus a spare SSD—when traveling. When I get home, I synchronize that clone to my main library using ChronoSync. Works reliably and protects the data. Since I serialize images on import, I just need to be sure to set the import counter appropriately.

Mar 16, 2024 at 04:19 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for advice on travel based workflow

jcolwell wrote:
I agree with Harry. He's a travel pro, although retired. Mostly, probably. Harry?

Anyway, I also travel with a set of OTG cables, that lets me plug a card reader into my Android phone, copy the images on a SD/CF card to the phone's internal card. Then, I replace the card reader with my Samsung T5 500GB SSD drive, and transfer the files from the phone to the SSD. Also, I keep the original files on the original cards, and save them, too. When I have the laptop with me, I'll use it as a relay station (to the SSD), instead
...Show more

Jim, never a pro, but am retired and have traveled my share. Currently sitting in La Manzanilla, Mexico enjoying the sun and water…not to mention a few cerveza.

I back up my images nightly when travelling.

Mar 17, 2024 at 03:25 PM
Pouncer

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking for advice on travel based workflow

I spent a week in the Galapagos two years ago. I downloaded photos to my laptop once or twice a day. Instead of using a second, external drive, I just kept the photos on SD cards. I did not reformat any SD card until back at home.

Mar 17, 2024 at 07:19 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking for advice on travel based workflow

my out and about workflow is pretty much the same except with data transfer to an external memory device through my laptop. i do work images in the evening.

Mar 19, 2024 at 09:43 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking for advice on travel based workflow

If I was only gone for week, I wouldn't bother doing any editing on the road. I would back up and cull my photos on the laptop during downtime or to kill time on the flight(s), and do the editing back at home where I have a proper HW calibrated monitor and more power.

As for backup, I would use at least one additional backup to the laptop (i.e. external drive) for convenience, and one cloud based backup as an ultimate failsafe, assuming you will have access to a decent internet connection.

Mar 19, 2024 at 04:34 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking for advice on travel based workflow

Here's my flow.

1. Ingest to my laptop (Lightroom).
2. If I have an internet connection, sync LR to cloud BU (IDrive).
3. Copy card to SSD1. If no internet, copy to SSD2 as well.
4. If trip is short enough, store memory card and do not use until I get back home and use new card next day.
5. Before getting back on plane, copy SSD1 to SSD2 (if not already done)
6. When I travel back, laptop is in one bag, used cards in another bag, SSD1 in yet another location (usually my pocket), SSD2 in checked luggage.
7. When I get back home, verify laptop is backed up to IDrive, then back it up to HD on desk, then backup to NAS in basement. Only after all that, SSDs and card formatted.

Sounds more complicated than it is in practice. Ingest happens quickly. If I have internet, that happens automatically. Copy to SSDs are fast as well. I have 6 main cards so I usually have enough to use one a day. The backups at home also happen automatically, so after the laptop is back in the dock it takes a couple of hours to happen in the background.

Mar 20, 2024 at 12:15 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.