Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9              11              22       23       end

Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

robert_in_ca
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

molson wrote:
Nikon Canada is also offering trade-in bonuses if you buy directly from them. I can get a new Z8 for less than the discounted price of an R5 right now... although that is probably more in line with where the Z8 should be priced to begin with.

Interesting because that's not the case here in the States. Right now the discounted price of the R5 is $600 USD less than the discounted price of the Z8.

May 15, 2024 at 01:46 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

robert_in_ca wrote:
Interesting because that's not the case here in the States. Right now the discounted price of the R5 is $600 USD less than the discounted price of the Z8.

Does Nikon USA sell direct to consumers, like Nikon Canada is now doing? The extra trade-in discount on the Z8 isn't available through retailers.

May 15, 2024 at 02:07 PM
Vinnie_VdB
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

molson wrote:
Does Nikon USA sell direct to consumers, like Nikon Canada is now doing? The extra trade-in discount on the Z8 isn't available through retailers.

https://www.nikonusa.com/content/spring-savings

May 15, 2024 at 02:10 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

molson wrote:
Nikon Canada is also offering trade-in bonuses if you buy directly from them. I can get a new Z8 for less than the discounted price of an R5 right now... although that is probably more in line with where the Z8 should be priced to begin with.

The Z8 is extremely competitively priced even if you remove all discounts. There isn't another camera on the market that has a high resolution stacked sensor, with high performance framerate and pro build for anywhere near what the Z8 costs. The only other cameras that fit that bill are the Z9 (at $5,500) and the A1 (at $6,500). Canon's only stacked sensor body is the R3 at $4500 on sale, $5000 without discount, and it's only 24MP. The Sony A9 II is old, superseded already, 24MP and still $4,500. So a full-frame 45MP stacked sensor body for $4k retail and $3,500 on sale is a seriously good value.

May 15, 2024 at 02:22 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

Vinnie_VdB wrote:
https://www.nikonusa.com/content/spring-savings

I'm glad I don't have to pay USA prices (not that I would buy another Z8 in any case).

May 15, 2024 at 02:23 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

molson wrote:
Canon is typically not influenced by competitors when it comes to setting prices - they know they will sell as many as they can build in the first year no matter how they price it.

I think the current huge discounts on the Z8 and A1 are attempts by Nikon and Sony to grab a few more sales before the R5 II drops.

Would anyone in their right mind switch from Nikon or Sony to Canon at this point? I'm sure the R5II and R1 will be great cameras for current Canon shooters and prevent them from switching to Nikon or Sony but I just can't imagine what they would bring that would cause Nikon and Sony to lose customers and therefore need to discount their cameras to get last minute sales??

May 15, 2024 at 02:41 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

arbitrage wrote:
Would anyone in their right mind switch from Nikon or Sony to Canon at this point?

Only if you've given up on waiting for firmware updates, and are tired of third-world build quality...

May 15, 2024 at 02:55 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.10 #8 · p.10 #8 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

molson wrote:
Only if you've given up on waiting for firmware updates, and are tired of third-world build quality...

No need for FW when your camera still bests the rest 3.5 years after it is released

Not sure about build quality...so far my track record is having to send in 2 Canon cameras for repair, 0 Nikon and 0 Sony. Although I probably should have sent in my D850 as as soon as it got moist the AF point did a continuous scroll across the screen

May 15, 2024 at 03:01 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.10 #9 · p.10 #9 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

arbitrage wrote:
No need for FW when your camera still bests the rest 3.5 years after it is released

I must disagree. The R5 is almost 4 years old not 3.5.

May 15, 2024 at 03:10 PM
patotts
• • • •
p.10 #10 · p.10 #10 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

arbitrage wrote:
Would anyone in their right mind switch from Nikon or Sony to Canon at this point? I'm sure the R5II and R1 will be great cameras for current Canon shooters and prevent them from switching to Nikon or Sony but I just can't imagine what they would bring that would cause Nikon and Sony to lose customers and therefore need to discount their cameras to get last minute sales??

There will always be a percentage of customers that are gear-heads rather than photographers that will switch to the latest/greatest in hopes of improving their photography, but also for the enjoyment of playing with new gear. Nothing wrong with that really - whatever floats your boat. I suspect the R5 Mk II will be a great camera, improving on the issues of the R5. As much as I like Canon UI, ergs, and color science, my issue is more with the lens line-up: e.g. the RF 50/1.2 has a nice rendering, but it is a bit too big, heavy, expensive and noisy AF compared to newer lenses like the Sony 50/1.2GM; I don't get along with the push/pull RF 70-200/2.8; not a big fan of the RF 35/1.8 either. The 15-35/2.8 and 24-70/2.8 are big and expensive, but very nice. RF 85/1.2 is great. No fast 24mm or 35mm prime options. I'd love to see a RF 50/1.4.

Oh well, rant off. I hope the Canon R5 II and R1 for that matter are spectacular cameras. Competition is good. But they certainly have some catching up to do.

May 15, 2024 at 03:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

molson
• • • • • • •
p.10 #11 · p.10 #11 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

arbitrage wrote:

Not sure about build quality...so far my track record is having to send in 2 Canon cameras for repair, 0 Nikon and 0 Sony. Although I probably should have sent in my D850 as as soon as it got moist the AF point did a continuous scroll across the screen

I've had more failures with Nikon cameras than with all of the other cameras I've owned, combined (by a very wide margin), and I've owned a LOT of cameras. Even my brand new Z8 had to go in for not one, but two recalls, right out of the box.

May 15, 2024 at 03:27 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.10 #12 · p.10 #12 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

arbitrage wrote:

I have that feeling about all three brands. Unless one has very specific needs or preferences/dislikes, why switch?

May 15, 2024 at 03:32 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.10 #13 · p.10 #13 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

I think Canon is not immune to the realities of today's camera market, which seems very, very soft to me. Rapidly falling prices across the board, even with hard to find long primes. I've been shooting both canon and nikon for a while now, and am waiting to see what if anything the r5ii has that would keep me with canon for my wildlife shooting. For wildlife shooters the nikon long lens lineup is by far the best (imo)...if you want to spend tons of $$ get a 400 or 600tc. If you want small/light/less $$, get one of the great pf lenses or the 400 4.5...Either way neither sony nor canon comes close to these offerings..and the rest of the z mount lineup seems pretty great as well, if not as broad as they are in the long end.

So I'd be surprised if canon prices the r5ii above $4k, and think it should come in a tad lower..that is unless it somehow surprises in terms of performance relative to the value leader, which is currently the z8.

May 15, 2024 at 03:44 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.10 #14 · p.10 #14 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

patotts wrote:
There will always be a percentage of customers that are gear-heads rather than photographers that will switch to the latest/greatest in hopes of improving their photography, but also for the enjoyment of playing with new gear. Nothing wrong with that really - whatever floats your boat. I suspect the R5 Mk II will be a great camera, improving on the issues of the R5. As much as I like Canon UI, ergs, and color science, my issue is more with the lens line-up: e.g. the RF 50/1.2 has a nice rendering, but it is a bit too big, heavy, expensive
...Show more

I chuckled when I read your comments about gear heads. Then talking about rendering, pushpull, and noisy AF of lens. You are my twin. This is not meant to be offensive. I am the same way. I have oodles of lens and multiple cameras and I bought r5 to replace my 5dsr even though it was a step backward in performance for landscape because I wanted to try canon mirrorless [The only place my photography has improved is with r8 (450grams 24mpx) and 24-105 STM (390grams with massive barrel distortion -- but I could have joined the gym] so I can hike farther. I switched in (mpx) and out of the Sony (dust and cold weather performance and 2 different system. I have heavy shift lens and really like STM lens that require heavy correction but only I can tell the difference when printed large maybe because I usually shoot at f8 and above and often with my less expensive lens and camera for weight. I am a [partial] gear head [I stop myself sometimes but the 200-800 is eating my soul]and somedays I want to add a r7 for effective reach and others a Loawa 15 shift and others a Brightin Star 9mm for one particular site.... And now the R5II is flashing

May 15, 2024 at 03:52 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.10 #15 · p.10 #15 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

patotts wrote:
There will always be a percentage of customers that are gear-heads rather than photographers that will switch to the latest/greatest in hopes of improving their photography, but also for the enjoyment of playing with new gear. Nothing wrong with that really - whatever floats your boat. I suspect the R5 Mk II will be a great camera, improving on the issues of the R5. As much as I like Canon UI, ergs, and color science, my issue is more with the lens line-up: e.g. the RF 50/1.2 has a nice rendering, but it is a bit too big, heavy, expensive
...Show more

Gear-heads? Switching systems ad naseum? I wouldn't know anything about that

May 15, 2024 at 04:01 PM
patotts
• • • •
p.10 #16 · p.10 #16 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

arbitrage wrote:
Gear-heads? Switching systems ad naseum? I wouldn't know anything about that

I'm in the gear-head club as well, working in a camera department in high-school ruined me forever... ;-)

May 15, 2024 at 04:39 PM
patotts
• • • •
p.10 #17 · p.10 #17 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

By the way, any guesses if the R5 Mk II and R1 will be CFExpress 4.0?

May 16, 2024 at 07:19 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.10 #18 · p.10 #18 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

100% confident in source
45mpx stacked confirmed
New Sensor
Better Video - overheating solved, better than R6II

Other
Wow Camera/ Game Changer
May Announcement, July Shipping

Speculation
Internal nd filters
Pre Buffer Shooting
Stop Better dynamic range

--------------------------

Seems very video centric so far aside from dynamic range and stacked sensor

May 16, 2024 at 07:22 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.10 #19 · p.10 #19 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

patotts wrote:
By the way, any guesses if the R5 Mk II and R1 will be CFExpress 4.0?

If they didnít then that is a huge misstep. I think Sony misstepped not doing 4.0 type A in the A93 but now we are going to be 6-12months later with actual cards to market so not using type 4 slot would be crippling for cameras designed with a minimum four year life cycle.

May 16, 2024 at 07:41 AM
UCTeeth

p.10 #20 · p.10 #20 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

do you really think it will be announced this month?

May 16, 2024 at 08:09 AM
1       2       3              9              11              22       23       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.